Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:13 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There would be little to no catalyst for redevelopment of the underused parcels without the BeltLine. The whole point of the project was using a transportation corridor as investment to focus development and absorb the upcoming population gains to areas with transit and alternative transportation options.
Which is ridiculous because Pittsburgh is very well logistically located. Outside of the prejudices and pretentiousness of individuals, neighborhoods like Pittsburgh, Mechanicsville, Capital View, Cap. View Manor, Sylvan Hills, are prime locations just due to location. Basically downtown. It makes nothing but sense to buy and revitalize such neighborhoods. Shouldnt take walking trails and such to spur that kind of common sense revitalization in my honest opinion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 10:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Which is ridiculous because Pittsburgh is very well logistically located. Outside of the prejudices and pretentiousness of individuals, neighborhoods like Pittsburgh, Mechanicsville, Capital View, Cap. View Manor, Sylvan Hills, are prime locations just due to location. Basically downtown. It makes nothing but sense to buy and revitalize such neighborhoods. Shouldnt take walking trails and such to spur that kind of common sense revitalization in my honest opinion...
Absolutely correct, but a large gov't investment (like the BeltLine) is a catalyst to investors who will renovate homes and begin the gentrification process.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:21 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Absolutely correct, but a large gov't investment (like the BeltLine) is a catalyst to investors who will renovate homes and begin the gentrification process.
I bought 4 houses in 2013 at prices ranging from 10k - 25k, while living in NYC. Didn't know anything about that Beltline. It wasn't the driver for me to renovate the homes...rather the basic economics and logistics as I worked downtown and didn't want to commute from the house I had in Dunwoody. I chose to renovate one home in Pittsburgh by Pittman Park and live in it whilst renovating the others. The economics were always favorable. Then you had the AEC foundation who have been active in the community for a while, whilst also assisting the neighborhood by revitalization with 352 University (Pittsburgh Yards). My opinion is that there were forces outside of the Beltline at work (though slowly working) and common sense economical and logistical facts that made the neighborhood and area prime for revitalization. But the discussion as to why it wasn't happening is a voluminous dialogue, and maybe a bit off topic here. The neighborhood and bordering neighborhoods sans Adair Park maybe, have their social and socio-economic ills. But Im a firm believer that the area was always prime for redevelopment and that there are certain factors that people attribute to areas such as these that would deem them as non candidates for attention based.

But thats the paradigm I view things thru...

Old 11-27-2018, 12:36 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
I bought 4 houses in 2013 at prices ranging from 10k - 25k, while living in NYC. Didn't know anything about that Beltline. It wasn't the driver for me to renovate the homes...rather the basic economics and logistics as I worked downtown and didn't want to commute from the house I had in Dunwoody. I chose to renovate one home in Pittsburgh by Pittman Park and live in it whilst renovating the others. The economics were always favorable. Then you had the AEC foundation who have been active in the community for a while, whilst also assisting the neighborhood by revitalization with 352 University (Pittsburgh Yards). My opinion is that there were forces outside of the Beltline at work (though slowly working) and common sense economical and logistical facts that made the neighborhood and area prime for revitalization. But the discussion as to why it wasn't happening is a voluminous dialogue, and maybe a bit off topic here. The neighborhood and bordering neighborhoods sans Adair Park maybe, have their social and socio-economic ills. But Im a firm believer that the area was always prime for redevelopment and that there are certain factors that people attribute to areas such as these that would deem them as non candidates for attention based.

Neighborhood has great location, walkable blocks, on the BeltLine, commercial core, and frequent bus service.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:07 PM

1,005 posts, read 728,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLUTD View Post
Any updates on life in Pittsburgh? There are some houses I absolutely adore and check every box for me here and could see Pittsburgh becoming the type of community neighborhood that Cabbagetown is today. I'm just being really gunshy about committing.
How long do you want to wait on the market? The westside is looking more like Cabbagetown. I know information on the internet is useful, but maybe chats with residents could give a more realistic sense of development, especially since George State's developments around the stadium are in process though nowhere near finished. A lot of the eastern neighborhoods had and still have some notorious property loss stories related to their gentrification, so if you want what Cabbagetown is now in Pittsburgh you might end up paying nearly twice than what you could were you to buy now. That's the market gamble. Maybe there'll be a bust!

Quote:

Yeah, I like this view. Development was always going to happen. The Beltline simply injected steroids into the situation. Renovation quality is a toss-up too in such a rush.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
How long do you want to wait on the market? The westside is looking more like Cabbagetown. I know information on the internet is useful, but maybe chats with residents could give a more realistic sense of development, especially since George State's developments around the stadium are in process though nowhere near finished. A lot of the eastern neighborhoods had and still have some notorious property loss stories related to their gentrification, so if you want what Cabbagetown is now in Pittsburgh you might end up paying nearly twice than what you could were you to buy now. That's the market gamble. Maybe there'll be a bust!

Yeah, I like this view. Development was always going to happen. The Beltline simply injected steroids into the situation. Renovation quality is a toss-up too in such a rush.

Yeah. I have a guy across the street who tried to purge some of my contractors...my HVAC guy actually decided to help him out. Said the guy basically tried to band-aide the electrical wiring instead of re-wiring the house, etc. taking short cuts in order to get the house to market. I hear a lot about these types of "flippers". I get why people may be giddy with anticipation but being that I am feet on the ground in the neighborhood, as you stated it was gonna happen regardless and without all the speculation and prospecting running prices crazy high.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:52 PM

1 posts, read 962 times
Thank you very much for your comments, they've been very helpful. My wife and I are looking to live in Pittsburgh since the location looks ideal for our jobs and the school of our son. We went to see a couple houses (which were great) and the area seems pretty quiet.
But after reading your comments I'm having second thoughts on moving there. Would you recommend me to move there? Has anything change with all those projects like Pittsburgh Yards? Has safety improved in the last years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta