Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 03:27 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbsnow View Post
Most of the places that meet my budget and wants (Garage/Updated Interior) are around Belvedere Park, hows the community around these areas?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pj1o8cxhkn...20ITP.jpg?dl=0
Be very, very careful in this area. It's seriously block by block, with not many contiguous areas of good neighborhoods in my opinion.

Look just a little to the north, in the area bounded by McLendon, Lawrenceville Hwy, I-285 and U.S. 78. Also check out the neighborhood around Shamrock Middle//Elementary School, across from North DeKalb Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 03:46 PM

13 posts, read 10,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Parts of it definitely are.

Grant Park is really nice, and Glenwood, and Cascade/Westview. Along the Beltline (neighborhoods like West End/Adair Park/etc) are at least on the way up and will be gentrifying with time. And East Point looks to be improving at least.

Anyway, I think you have a great all around pick with the Scottdale area.

Looks of good info, thank you!

Quote:
Belvedere Park is not bad. It's a predominantly African-American community, probably about 85%, with the other 15% being white, so not a ton of diversity.

Wikipedia says it's apparently a low-income area, but I always thought it was more average. It's an established and old area- my mom grew up there in the 1960's when it was the Atlanta suburbs and a very different demographic profile.

The local retail selection is going to be lackluster. Along Memorial Dr around there is all chain fast food crap.
Can you be more specific in regards to retail? Are we talking about fashion stores, sporting goods, etc.? or everything including grocery stores?

Food wise... I figure we are either cooking at home or going to Downtown Decature. We really don't do fast food so it won't be an issue.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:09 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Groceries you'd be fine in that area, as there's a Kroger. And there are some interesting restaurants over on Covington Hwy, so what I said wasn't entirely true.

And yeah, you're still real near Decatur in that area, so you could go there if you're going out.

Only thing is what JMatl said, some parts are spotty, and it will vary by neighborhood. Definitely thoroughly check it all out before you buy a place.

Good luck!

Old 07-09-2017, 08:02 PM

Thank for all the info!! Everyone has been super helpful and I appreciate the feedback. I'll see if there's any crime maps for that area and I'll take a drive through when I'm there.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:55 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback. I toured Atlanta last week searching for a home and most peoples insights were spot on.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:10 PM

FYI it's not normally this hot outside... we're having quite a scorcher of a summer.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
FYI it's not normally this hot outside... we're having quite a scorcher of a summer.
When I was there, it was consistently 85-90 which seemed high. Glad to hear it's normally not that hot.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:09 PM

821 posts, read 726,304 times
Quote:
I had a small crack on my windshield. Got it patched. Today it spread from how hot it was.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbsnow View Post
When I was there, it was consistently 85-90 which seemed high. Glad to hear it's normally not that hot.
Save for a few bad weeks every summer, it's definitely not. This is the worst bit of our overall nice climate.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:27 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,444 times
I have lived through hotter summers here. 90's is the norm from what I remember of summers past.
What feels abnormally high is the humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta