Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 09:01 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Most servers I know prefer tipping in cash to avoid declaring them. I've even seen signs in restaurants requesting it!
I used to always write "cash" in the tip line when tipping in cash but paying the bill with a card. I was discussing this recently with a waiter at a restaurant I frequent, and we decided it's better for them if cash tippers leave that line blank. That way there's no documentation of income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 09:05 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I used to always write "cash" in the tip line when tipping in cash but paying the bill with a card. I was discussing this recently with a waiter at a restaurant I frequent, and we decided it's better for them if cash tippers leave that line blank. That way there's no documentation of income.
So you are ok with Tax Fraud?

Old 07-13-2017, 09:08 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
So you are ok with Tax Fraud?
I'm OK with waiters keeping 100% of their tips and having their base pay taxed.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:28 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I don't see the big deal...Lyft has had this option from the start which is why they're doing it. Lyft offers better guarantees and the option to get tips and drivers know it. Main reason I drive for Lyft much more than I do Uber.
??

Old 07-13-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sure, you have the *right* to not tip, but don't you feel twingy if you don't?

I'd much prefer to have ride-hailing companies either (a) pay their drivers right in the first place or (b) automatically add 15% to the bill for the driver.

What I don't like is having to get into the delays and dynamics of tipping -- should you tip? how much? are you hurting somebody's feelings? what if the smallest bill you've got is $5? should your co-riders chip in? what if you over-tipped the same driver previously, do you need to match it again? what if I'm running a little low on money myself?

Tipping just adds another layer of complexity to something that should be simple and seamless.
To me that is a good feature. I have only used cabs and I left good tips when I was flush and a smaller tip when I wasn't. It evens out for them. Even crabby-pants cab drivers always accepted my 'I'm sorry, this is all I have' with a 'thank you'.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:41 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
To me that is a good feature. I have only used cabs and I left good tips when I was flush and a smaller tip when I wasn't. It evens out for them. Even crabby-pants cab drivers always accepted my 'I'm sorry, this is all I have' with a 'thank you'.
The thing about it is, though, why should the driver have to take a hit because the customer is running short?

Those drivers don't get to decide whether they're picking up a customer who may stick it to them. They're just driving a car and their income shouldn't depend on how well the customer's finances are doing, or what kind of mood the customer is in.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
The thing about it is, though, why should the driver have to take a hit because the customer is running short?

Those drivers don't get to decide whether they're picking up a customer who may stick it to them. They're just driving a car and their income shouldn't depend on how well the customer's finances are doing, or what kind of mood the customer is in.
The tips are extra.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:

I know someone who drives for Uber and he was ranting about 'just give me a freaking dollar to show appreciation!' he relies on whatever Uber pays him. At the time, I didn't know Uber didn't offer option of tips or I would have asked about that. I bet he is happier now.

I asked him about amazon Prime delivery and he said yes $1 is fine. They get paid well enough, but you are showing appreciation and the $1's add up. AT LEAST YOU GIVE THEM SOMETHING! (he went back to the rant, lol).

Old 07-13-2017, 10:03 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
What's the big deal when I once drove for Uber in 2014, it was more peculiar, it just common now. Uber allows the old cars and lots of quality drivers with nice vehicles are gone. My pax thought the safety fee was a tip, but it went to Uber. I always tip cab drivers and don't see why some people don't want to tip Uber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta