Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 08:03 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times

Advertisements

I am more than happy to tip service workers but I thought a major element of the Uber plan was that they simplified basic transportation and were a new model over traditional taxis.

Too bad they don't simply pay their employees what they are worth.

Quote:
Uber apparently wants to do right by its drivers and be a real pal to them.

Which it plans to do by putting pressure on customers. Once a gloriously guilt-free, no-tip-expected zone, Uber now wants us to give its drivers tips.

Uber famously wanted to make getting from one point to another as frictionless as possible for customers. It was the anti-taxi. It let us believe early on that the equivalent of tips were already included in its rates.

No need to worry about having enough cash in the right denominations to show your appreciation. No uncomfortable pauses trying to figure out what gratuity makes sense. Are they like a waiter or a valet? Or like one of those folks with an annoying tip jar beside the to-go counter?

On an Uber ride you never have to carry a wallet or purse. Oh, sweet freedom!

More....Kempner: Once a tip-free zone, Uber caves on gratuities. Now what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 08:22 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
I hate this country's expected-to-tip culture. It's ridiculous. My friend from England says it's not like that there.

The way it should be is that everyone in the service industry gets paid the correct amount, and if they just do their job, you don't give a tip, and one is not expected. Tips should be reserved for special requests, or they're doing something extra or going beyond the norm. Or just if the service was absolutely fantastic, and you feel like tipping. But not as a normal thing.

With that said, since our country is dumb and our culture is that a 15% tip is always expected when anyone just simply does their job, I'm glad I will now be able to tip my Uber driver and especially my Uber Eats deliverer, via the app. Because unfortunately service industry in this country is not paid fairly by their employers.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:25 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,321 times
The major appeal of Uber is that the price is the price. It is simple. So now drivers will guilt shame you into tipping? Will you get a bad review and not get picked up if you dont leave a large enough tip? They go this route and they are no better than a taxi. You are already paying for the service.. just make it a fair price.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:30 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,858,568 times
I'm confused. Are they getting tipped when I pay via the app or not? Or I am expected to tip twice? Nothing annoys me more than when you go to a restaurant with a large party and the server is already being tipped but they don't mention that (it's in small print on the receipt and that's it). Please someone, explain.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:31 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
I've been tipping them in cash, but I'll have to switch to online I guess. I don't want to get on a "bad" list because I basically love Uber!!

Old 07-11-2017, 08:35 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
So now drivers will guilt shame you into tipping?
That's the thing. You already have drivers kind of expecting to get tipped, but there was no way to do that within the app, so you couldn't tip if you didn't have cash (which most people usually don't carry these days.)

And even if you do have cash for a tip, that then contradicts the whole point of Uber where money is not supposed to be exchanged.

Thus this change of policy. I agree with the change but I hate that it's needed.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:39 PM

9,980 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I've been tipping them in cash, but I'll have to switch to online I guess. I don't want to get on a "bad" list because I basically love Uber!!
Why would you get on a "bad" list because you tip in cash instead of through the app? If anything the driver will know you tipped him right away instead of not knowing until his total clears at the end of their day or whenever.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:58 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Why would you get on a "bad" list because you tip in cash instead of through the app? If anything the driver will know you tipped him right away instead of not knowing until his total clears at the end of their day or whenever.

I guess you're right, if they just go by the driver's rating of you. I was thinking that other drivers might need to see on the app that you tipped though, now that they have it on there.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:00 PM

9,980 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I guess you're right, if they just go by the driver's rating of you. I was thinking that other drivers might need to see on the app that you tipped though, now that they have it on there.
There's not going to be a running tally of your tips for all the other drivers to see.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:19 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
I've never used Uber but my understanding is that is is far cheaper than a cab. And cab drivers expected tips. So, I don't think this will bother me when I do take one. I'll still come out ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta