Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 04:16 PM

760 posts, read 878,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Wait, how are they going to add inversions to the Cyclones wooden frame?
Someone mentioned this in the thread earlier, but the company doing the redesign is called "Rocky Mountain Construction". They specialized in modern coaster technology, and wood > steel conversions.

Basically, they are going to rip up all of the existing wooden track. They will then modify the existing support structure to house new steel rails. The majority of the wood will stay in tack, but the new layout will require some additional steel beams, or wood for aesthetics. Since steel coaster track is much more flexible, they are going to modify the layout to add elements that cannot be done on wood coasters. More bunny hills, steeper drops (probably a near 90 degree drop), over bank turns, barrel rolls, etc.

Six Flags has been doing this with many of there other parks wooden coasters, and so far, the response has been insanely positive. Guests have been eating these new coasters up like crazy.

Here is an example of what it will look like. This coaster was the old Colossus that was at Six Flags Magic Mountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 04:33 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,218,843 times
Nice!!

Old 07-18-2017, 04:37 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,218,843 times
The Cyclone has the best location in the park, right at the front gate:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7676.../data=!3m1!1e3

So anything they do with it will get a ton of visibility. So I'm sure it will look good and be a better ride.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:37 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,221,527 times
Holy cow! Great info MN_Ski

Front car video from the same coaster w/ the inversion -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXkb3rrFmxY

Old 07-18-2017, 06:47 PM

787 posts, read 965,775 times
Man I remember riding the Georgia Cyclone as a kid in the 90s, good memories.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:57 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,790,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Oh nice, it would be awesome to spend the night on the most fun peninsula in the US. Cedar Point sounds so much better than Disney. Top Thrill Dragster looks insane to the point I almost don't want to do it...but I would have to. The POV videos looks so intense.
Top Thrill is worth the wait.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:57 PM
bu2

23,952 posts, read 14,751,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
Someone mentioned this in the thread earlier, but the company doing the redesign is called "Rocky Mountain Construction". They specialized in modern coaster technology, and wood > steel conversions.

Basically, they are going to rip up all of the existing wooden track. They will then modify the existing support structure to house new steel rails. The majority of the wood will stay in tack, but the new layout will require some additional steel beams, or wood for aesthetics. Since steel coaster track is much more flexible, they are going to modify the layout to add elements that cannot be done on wood coasters. More bunny hills, steeper drops (probably a near 90 degree drop), over bank turns, barrel rolls, etc.

Six Flags has been doing this with many of there other parks wooden coasters, and so far, the response has been insanely positive. Guests have been eating these new coasters up like crazy.

Here is an example of what it will look like. This coaster was the old Colossus that was at Six Flags Magic Mountain.
The Ninja has really not been that popular despite doing barrel rolls. They repainted and renamed it to the Blue Hawk, but its basically the same ride. Its my favorite coaster there, but fortunately, not many people agree.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:16 PM

6,502 posts, read 6,096,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The Ninja has really not been that popular despite doing barrel rolls. They repainted and renamed it to the Blue Hawk, but its basically the same ride. Its my favorite coaster there, but fortunately, not many people agree.
I only rode it once when I was 11 (20 years ago). My head still hasn't forgiven me.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:51 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,012,387 times
Supposedly they didn't just repaint the Ninja, they overhauled it and made it smoother....did you notice any difference?

Old 07-19-2017, 05:24 PM
bu2

23,952 posts, read 14,751,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Supposedly they didn't just repaint the Ninja, they overhauled it and made it smoother....did you notice any difference?
Its a little smoother. With age it had gotten a little rougher over the past few years. It was still pretty smooth before the overhaul compared to the wooden coasters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta