Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:19 AM

144 posts, read 140,071 times

Advertisements

Will be flying out of Atlanta next month and gone 2 weeks, in the past I've parked at a hotel, they charged abt $5/day, was told I could park at the Marta College Park station, but on their hp is says it's only for daily parking? Or garage $8/day. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 07:23 AM

986 posts, read 1,866,317 times
Why not park on a residential street and then take an Uber or Lyft to the airport from there? Plenty of free residential parking in this city, though check out signs first because some areas you do need a permit in. Also it's obviously at your own risk, so don't leave anything in the car that may look enticing to thieves.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:32 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
How far do you live from the airport or the nearest MARTA station? Could you Uber/Lyft/Cab/get a ride from a friend to either of those?

Do you have any friends who live close to the airport or MARTA that would let you leave your car at their house?

I wouldn't advise leaving your car on a random residential street for two weeks a bunch of reasons.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:37 AM

144 posts, read 140,071 times
no, I live in Greenville, SC, but flying out of here is a pain, Charlotte is usually more expensive, so I usually fly out of Atlanta

Old 07-21-2017, 08:16 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Looks like your only other option is to take Amtrak/Megabus/Greyhound to Atlanta, but if your goal is to save money on parking, that might be a pointless non-solution.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:26 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway83 View Post
no, I live in Greenville, SC, but flying out of here is a pain, Charlotte is usually more expensive, so I usually fly out of Atlanta
Why not park at Dunwoody Station, $5/day in garage and ride Red Line to Aiport. End of Line Stations always have higher long-term parking fees.
MARTA

Old 07-21-2017, 10:24 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
I'd park the car on the street in a safe neighborhood or apartment complex, then uber/lyft to the MARTA station

Old 07-21-2017, 11:19 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
I'd park the car on the street in a safe neighborhood or apartment complex, then uber/lyft to the MARTA station
But the OP may not be from Atlanta. So how would you suggest identifying a safe neighborhood? And in a lot of neighborhoods, an unknown car parked on the street for 2 weeks might get residents suspicious. You're not supposed to be able to tow a car if its plates are good and it's parked legally, but if they tell cops its been abandoned there, you never know what they will do.

Of course, I'm speaking of a subdivision. If it's a city street where people typically parallel park and its a busy area where people come and go, you're probably fine. Personally, I can't think of any areas like this by the airport, but I don't know the area that well. It's also tough for an out of towner because they'd have to take copious notes/GPS coordinates for where they parked. Can you imagine getting back and jumping into an Uber to get to your car, but you're not quite sure where you left it?

If you park in an apartment complex, make sure they don't have assigned parking or parking stickers. Complexes near the airport may be hip to this game.

The safest place might be to parallel park on a street where it's legal in one of the historic downtowns within eyeshot of a police station.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:24 AM

149 posts, read 182,279 times
Park in residential Midtown (Between Ponce and 10th, Piedmont and Charles Allen) and ride North Ave or 10th St Marta to the airport. Many cars are parked for weeks at a time in this area, no one will care of notice.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:00 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,249,847 times
Residential parking in Atlanta shouldn't be used for long term parking by someone not visiting the city itself. That's obviously a bunk deal for "us" vs them parking in a paid lot. Fork over the $5 a day that will protect your car from break-ins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta