Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 09:10 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times

Advertisements

For the person/couple/family moving to the Greater Atlanta area, what are the things that are must do's in the first year? You know, these are the things that you usually look forward to each year and put on the calendar in advance. These are somewhat "traditions" and "not to be missed".

Originally I was going to title this the First 100 Days but I just didn't like the political connotation. I also figure that there is so much that you need to include all of the seasons and holidays.

Thanks in advance for listing your favorites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 05:56 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Botanical Gardens Christmas display. Picnic in Piedmont Park on a beautiful Spring day. Peachtree Road Race. The Atlanta Symphony. Fourth of July fireworks in Centennial Olympic Park. Oyster Fest at the Steamhouse Lounge. The Dogwood Festival.

There are so many great things to schedule around town!

Old 07-28-2017, 06:32 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
For the person/couple/family moving to the Greater Atlanta area, what are the things that are must do's in the first year? You know, these are the things that you usually look forward to each year and put on the calendar in advance. These are somewhat "traditions" and "not to be missed".

Originally I was going to title this the First 100 Days but I just didn't like the political connotation. I also figure that there is so much that you need to include all of the seasons and holidays.

Thanks in advance for listing your favorites.
Stone Mountain Park (A walk up and around the mountain - Fall or Spring is best), Six Flags, Atlanta Hawks, Falcons, United, Dream and Braves games, Music Midtown, The Ferris Wheel, try the plethora of restaurants, a drive up the North GA mountains - Blue Ridge, GA or Amicalola Falls and/or Helen, Trip to Savannah, either a visit or a stay at Chateau Elan Winery & Resort, a trip to Chattanooga, TN, a ride on MARTA train - at least to the airport or Falcons/United games, Lake Lanier, Coke Museum visit, Aquarium, The King Center, The High Museum of Art, DeKalb Farmers Markets (Home), Downtown Atlanta, Decatur and Roswell, catch a play, musical or concert at the Fox, Atlantic Station, The Malls, The Forum (http://theforumonpeachtree.com/), All of the festivals, Concert at Chastain Park, Jeju Spa (http://jejusauna.com/) and so much more..........

Old 07-28-2017, 07:40 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Great thread Beretta! Most of the places mention above already and I concur, but here are my few.

Tour of Buckhead mansions, Ponce De Leon from Downtown to Decatur, and other Atlanta beautiful neighborhoods

Airplane spotting at the world busiest airport. It is quite phenomenal to watch the pace of things.

A complete ride of Marta from North, South, East, and West. One of the best views of Atlanta and Buckhead Skyline is on the East line before arriving at King Memorial Station.

Wrens Nest in West End

Piedmont Park especially on Sunday

Horse Ride through Downtown

Delta Airlines Museum

Art in Castleberry Hills

Little Five Points totally other-world

CNN Studio Tour

Atlanta High Museum

Old 07-28-2017, 07:44 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Atlanta Greek Festival, in late September/early October. At the cathedral on Clairmont.

Yearly tradition for me, all my life (and I used to volunteer).

Old 07-28-2017, 07:52 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
I would take in some of the neighborhood festivals and use it as a way to see as many of the distinct neighborhoods in Atlanta as possible.

This looks like fun. It's aimed at tourists, but there's no reason a local wouldn't enjoy it. This tour goes right by my house, and the people always seem to be having a good time: Bicycle Tours of Atlanta | #1 Atlanta Outdoor Activity

Old 07-28-2017, 08:00 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I would take in some of the neighborhood festivals and use it as a way to see as many of the distinct neighborhoods in Atlanta as possible.
Neighborhood festivals galore! Check out the Inman Park Festival The 2017 Inman Park Festival

Take a guided tour of Oakland Cemetery | Historic Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta There are lots of dining options across the street from the cemetery too.

Home - Serenbe Playhouse

Atlanta Jazz Festival

Old 07-28-2017, 08:07 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post

Take a guided tour of Oakland Cemetery | Historic Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta There are lots of dining options across the street from the cemetery too.
I was going to mention Oakland Cemetery, but I left it out since the bike tour I linked goes through there. That's a great place to visit. We take the dog for a walk over there (or she takes us is probably more accurate) just about every weekend. As for Oakland Cemetery events, my favorite is Tunes from the Tombs. Unfortunately for Beretta, that just happened a few weeks ago, so they'll have to wait until next year.

The Summer Shade Festival in Grant Park is coming up at the ed of August. Home - Summer Shade Festival

Old 07-28-2017, 08:22 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Speaking of bike tours - Routes- Atlanta Streets Alive

September 24 is the next date.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:04 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Don't miss the Fernbank Museum. We had some of the grandkids over there just the other day and they had a great time. Fun for adults, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta