Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 02:26 PM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Hopefully the downtown DRC will work its magic on the design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 02:58 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Skyscraper in Atlanta on somewhere other than the Peachtree St corridor? I'll take it.

And technically this is Downtown. Downtown hasn't had a new tower in ages.
Right.....I guess Atlanta is doing great since people are complaining about skyscrapers being built now

Old 08-02-2017, 06:03 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
It looks just fine to me. Not every tower needs to be iconic or an architectural masterpiece.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:22 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times
I posted this on another thread that I loved the idea of The Home Depot Backyard but this area could have rivaled LA Live with MBS, an upgrade Philips Arena, GWCC and the Gulch. A project like that could have drastically changed Southwest Downtown Atlanta.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:04 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
I posted this on another thread that I loved the idea of The Home Depot Backyard but this area could have rivaled LA Live with MBS, an upgrade Philips Arena, GWCC and the Gulch. A project like that could have drastically changed Southwest Downtown Atlanta.
That's basically what the Hawks are trying to do with the Gulch right now.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Disruptions to MARTA West Line rail service for the Dome implosion.
Quote:
During the suspension, MARTA plans to provide three express bus routes to connect Five Points to the H.E. Holmes, Ashby and Bankhead stations. Though Green Line rail service will be completely shut down, Blue Line service between Five Points and Indian Creek in DeKalb County will not be affected. The express bus service will begin at 4:30 a.m. Nov. 20.

After the demolition, MARTA must inspect the rails before the lines reopen. The Georgia World Congress Center – which operates the Georgia Dome – also must sign off.

Krisak told the board the MARTA expects to restore rail service around noon. But if there’s a problem, he said MARTA can sustain the temporary express bus system for several days.

Georgia Dome implosion to shutter some MARTA lines for hours | Spinning our Wheels

Old 11-09-2017, 10:05 AM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Disruptions to MARTA West Line rail service for the Dome implosion.

Georgia Dome implosion to shutter some MARTA lines for hours | Spinning our Wheels
Georgia Dome, we barely knew ye.

How long before they flatten MB stadium, too? Twenty years is a pretty good run for a sports facility in this town.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:14 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Georgia Dome, we barely knew ye.

How long before they flatten MB stadium, too? Twenty years is a pretty good run for a sports facility in this town.
My feeling is that MB will last much longer than the Dome or the Ted did. It might go thru a name change/remodeling at some point way down the line. But as long as football and soccer are still played here, and as long as they fix the mechanical and roof leaking issues (which that should all be fixed soon), why not keep it? It's great looking, inside and out. With tons of capacity. And a perfect location right on MARTA.

Whereas the Dome was an ugly eyesore of a building. It was always just kinda utilitarian. Did the job, nothing more.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:30 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
My feeling is that MB will last much longer than the Dome or the Ted did. It might go thru a name change/remodeling at some point way down the line. But as long as football and soccer are still played here, and as long as they fix the mechanical and roof leaking issues (which that should all be fixed soon), why not keep it? It's great looking, inside and out. With tons of capacity. And a perfect location right on MARTA.

Whereas the Dome was an ugly eyesore of a building. It was always just kinda utilitarian. Did the job, nothing more.
It also helps that Blank/Falcons/ATLUTD had a much much bigger say in its design than Rankin Smith did with the Dome (which looked like a wannabe Miami Vice set piece with the teal and maroon).

Old 11-09-2017, 12:07 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
So this is what they have in mind for the Georgia Dome site. Yawn.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/8/2/...nderings-gwcca

How about a little creativity here? It's being done elsewhere.

Hotel ZaZa, Houston

https://s-ec.bstatic.com/images/hote...34/2343724.jpg

Hotel Omm, Barcelona

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/...b28346feee.jpg

Hotel Unique, Sao Paulo

https://f22bfca7a5abd176cefa-59c40a1...que-S-01-r.jpg

Hotel Joule, Dallas

http://www.dallasvip.net/hotels/imag...allas-room.jpg
All of these are horrid except for the Sao Paulo design which would eventually be hated as it's too styled to stand the test of time.

All of these examples are intertwined into fabric of the neighborhood.

Our neighborhood is full of boarded up windows.

Atlanta's propensity for crime results in tower living about the safest place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: