Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 06:29 AM

56 posts, read 98,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Can you be a little more specific about where in south Atlanta? Maybe some major cross streets? Different folks have different ideas about what is south Atlanta is, so that might help.
Car/shuttle to train to bus is probably going to take much longer than an hour for the type of homes you are thinking about renting in Buford or Kennesaw. Really, Fayette County to South Atlanta by car seems a lot more straightforward than what you are looking at.
location of work in camp creek Parkway or on McDonough Blvd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Will you have flexibility in your schedule, or is it a strict 9 to 5 kind of thing?

Coming in at 8 and leaving at 4 isn't going to help you much. But if you can get some REAL flexibility like arriving at 6am and leaving by 2pm or coming in at 11am and staying until 7pm, then you can live in the areas you are talking about.

That's probably the easiest solution, if your employer allows it. But it HAS to be real!!!! I had an employer tell me that one time, but even if I arrived at 6p, they still put 4:30p meetings on my calendar. And you definitely got the stink-eye if you walked in after 9:15am.
That I do not know yet. I was thinking of asking about that from HR.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:51 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeforest4sure View Post
location of work in camp creek Parkway or on McDonough Blvd.
Camp Creek Parkway is towards the airport--Fayette County by car makes way more sense than anything else mentioned--if schools, commute time, and home for the money are your priorities. I am not sure that it is an hour commute either--Not without traffic, anyway. As far as "Atlanta" commutes from the suburbs go--really not that bad--especially considering your budget and needs/wants. You could also look at commutes from Lilburn, Ga --Trickum Middle School--Parkview High are pretty good. There may be some possibilities in-town. But they will involve less home, and possibly less/different school than you are expecting.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:58 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Yeah, if you're going to be working on the south side, then by all means live on the south side. Much easier.

Fayette County has good schools.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:03 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Quote:
I will look at that also. I noticed from Buford the Gwinnett County transit also, and maybe take MARTA from Doraville.
Hoping the commute time will be at least 1hr
I wouldn't bother trying to go from bus to train. The transfer hassle and then waiting for the train will just end up taking longer and causing more stress. If anything, just take the bus all the way in. I've never ridden the bus so have no idea what that's like, but as others have mentioned, the so called express lanes are sometimes just as backed up as the regular lanes.

Take a look at Peachtree City if you decide to go south side. Good schools and a nice area.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Camp Creek Parkway is towards the airport--Fayette County by car makes way more sense than anything else mentioned--if schools, commute time, and home for the money are your priorities. I am not sure that it is an hour commute either--Not without traffic, anyway. As far as "Atlanta" commutes from the suburbs go--really not that bad--especially considering your budget and needs/wants. You could also look at commutes from Lilburn, Ga --Trickum Middle School--Parkview High are pretty good. There may be some possibilities in-town. But they will involve less home, and possibly less/different school than you are expecting.
We are worried about the noise from the airport also.
Which communities in fayette county should we look at?. We are looking for a 4BR single family house.
Living in town is not an option because of the small house and high cost.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I wouldn't bother trying to go from bus to train. The transfer hassle and then waiting for the train will just end up taking longer and causing more stress. If anything, just take the bus all the way in. I've never ridden the bus so have no idea what that's like, but as others have mentioned, the so called express lanes are sometimes just as backed up as the regular lanes.

Take a look at Peachtree City if you decide to go south side. Good schools and a nice area.
Peachtree city on the map looks far from downtown though.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:35 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Quote:
Peachtree city on the map looks far from downtown though.
But, I-85 on the south side is probably the least bad traffic of any freeway into the city. (Not to say it doesn't back up.)

Old 08-05-2017, 03:57 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times
Quote:
We are worried about the noise from the airport also.
Which communities in fayette county should we look at?. We are looking for a 4BR single family house.
Living in town is not an option because of the small house and high cost.
Airplane noise shouldn't be a problem. If you can find a home you like with schools that you like, you should be fine. You can look at maps and see which commutes in Fayette will most likely reduce your commute. Really, you sort of lucked out. It could have been a *lot* worse, given what you initially described.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
But, I-85 on the south side is probably the least bad traffic of any freeway into the city. (Not to say it doesn't back up.)
Ok..thanks. We are starting to look for rental in fayette county now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta