Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 04:29 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,553,712 times

Advertisements

My family and I are in the process of moving to Atlanta. I'm interested in installing solar panels on our roof, and so I've been considering roof pitch and amount of exposure to sunlight in our house hunt. We eventually will get a plug in hybrid vehicle and perhaps a full electric car in the future. My husband was thinking of installing them himself (he's an engineer and is pretty mechanically and electrically minded), but there's a lot involved and we want to do it correctly. We would connect into the grid. Have you done solar? Are there any incentives in Georgia to install solar? Do you recommend any installers? I understand the economics aren't quite there yet i.e. one can invest x number of dollars and see a higher rate of return than the electric bill savings, but I think we need to use more renewable energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 05:09 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
My brother, in Chandler Park, did both the outlet for an electric car and solar panels this year. He hasn't gotten the car yet, there's an availability issue he said. He also said it will take years to recoup his investment in the solar panels, but he wanted to do it. I'll see if I can get a recommendation for installers when he returns from vacation in a week or so.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:10 PM

654 posts, read 526,929 times
I need to get a few projects done while it's light out.

I'll try to respond tonight or maybe tomorrow.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:41 PM

63 posts, read 87,663 times
I recently moved from CA to GA and found that the economics of solar panels in GA is not viable compared to places like in CA.

I had solar panels in CA. The cost of electricity in CA in the higher tiers is around 3x that in GA, so the payback period in CA is manageable.

If you want to support renewable energy, there might be other ways to do it. For example, the utility might have a "green power rider". Here's the one from Sawnee EMC

https://www.sawnee.com/content/green-power

Old 08-07-2017, 06:54 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,553,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca2dfw View Post
I recently moved from CA to GA and found that the economics of solar panels in GA is not viable compared to places like in CA.

I had solar panels in CA. The cost of electricity in CA in the higher tiers is around 3x that in GA, so the payback period in CA is manageable.

If you want to support renewable energy, there might be other ways to do it. For example, the utility might have a "green power rider". Here's the one from Sawnee EMC

https://www.sawnee.com/content/green-power
I was kinda thinking that. I just thought since we will likely buying plug-in electric (we're thinking of buying a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid down the road provided there aren't serious problems that crop up in them) and electric vehicles in the future that it might be worth it.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:45 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,462 times
I looked into adding solar panels to our house as well, and was surprised that the estimated payback time would be over 30 years. I suspect that this is, in part, because our roof isn't very large relative to the size of the house, which is 3 stories tall, plus a basement, so we have a pretty large area to air condition and light without a lot of roof on which to mount panels. That, combined with the relatively low cost of electricity in Georgia and relatively paltry solar rebates and subsidies here, seems to make it a non-starter for us at the moment. Here's hoping that the cost of solar continues to fall and that this becomes a financially attractive option in the not-too-distant future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: