Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2019, 12:44 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,245,104 times

Advertisements

What road do you want to build? Do you want another surface street with at-grade intersections and sprawl, or would you want a controlled access highway with grade separated interchanges to get through traffic off those surface streets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 12:49 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
What road do you want to build? Do you want another surface street with at-grade intersections and sprawl, or would you want a controlled access highway with grade separated interchanges to get through traffic off those surface streets?
If a Northern Arc/Outer Perimeter had to be built, I want it to only have freeway-to-tollway connections with no additional interchanges.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:43 PM

297 posts, read 271,494 times
IMO the best plan would be to put a freeway from around Villa Rica and connect to I-75 near Cartersville. I think there is no way they would ever have the northern arc between Cobb and Gwinnett. Just way too much opposition from the citizens in that area.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:41 AM
bu2

24,097 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltop180 View Post
IMO the best plan would be to put a freeway from around Villa Rica and connect to I-75 near Cartersville. I think there is no way they would ever have the northern arc between Cobb and Gwinnett. Just way too much opposition from the citizens in that area.
And the Northern part will predominately benefit the residents. An eastern or western outer loop would get a lot of thru traffic out of the ITP area.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:07 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
And the Northern part will predominately benefit the residents. An eastern or western outer loop would get a lot of thru traffic out of the ITP area.
It's kind of funny how the same people who moan about all the outsiders using the inner metro highways are also against any sort of bypass to take that traffic around (or for it to even have been built).

Old 03-23-2019, 09:40 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
An Outer Perimeter should be built that is further out than originally planned. It would "ring around" the exurbs. It would also serve as a connector/pathway for secondary areas of Georgia.

During the era when it was originally proposed--the 1990s when Metro Atlanta's developmental pattern was out of control, developers ruled (especially in Gwinnett)--I thought the Outer Perimeter was a bad idea and should not have been built. It would've been horrible for North Georgia.

However, now that we have a saner approach to development and a metro area that seems to be becoming more open to alternative sorts of transport, I think the Outer Perimeter would be a great idea--and really, a necessity for the State of Georgia.

Keeping these tenets in mind:

1. Built further out than originally proposed (as stated above).
2. Very limited access with very limited exits.
3. Encircled by a "greenbelt" which will preserve greenspace and offer an awesome mega-circular hiking trail for North Georgia. {this would not be an urban growth boundary...it would just be preserved greenspace around the whole Outer Perimeter...preventing crazy sprawl while helping the environment and scenic beauty}
4. The Outer Perimeter would also aid secondary-to-secondary connections in Georgia. For example, an Outer Perimeter would make travel easier between:
a. Rome/Athens
b. Columbus/Athens
c. Macon/Athens
d. Rome/Columbus
e. Gainesville/Rome
f. Macon/Rome
g. etc...

//www.city-data.com/forum/53179388-post172.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/51647757-post2536.html

Old 03-24-2019, 07:05 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Isn't GA 20 a fairly fast moving highway with limited stop lights, sort of like 400 in Dawson County?

Old 03-24-2019, 09:23 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Isn't GA 20 a fairly fast moving highway with limited stop lights, sort of like 400 in Dawson County?
The absolute opposite. Between Buford and Cumming it's tons of red lights and a lot of commercial and residential development. To me, that's exactly what we don't need. 400 north of GA-369 is more similar to GA-316 east of Lawrenceville. Designed to be a higher speed (55 to 65 mph speed limit vs 45) with fewer access points. I think they finally finished widening 20 between Cumming and Buford, but its fate is sealed. It will always be a road filled with local traffic.

West of Cumming it's still fairly busy with plenty of commercial development and subdivisions branching off. I remember riding with my dad on 20 and GA-369 from Canton headed to the east 10-15 years ago. We couldn't believe the amount of development all the way out there. It's nothing compared to Roswell, Alpharetta, etc. But we expected a completely rural road (at least for 369), something like what we might see in Hart County. I think only west of Canton is GA-20 relatively low traffic, but it's not designed to be a divided highway.

Back sometime in the mid 2000s I would peruse AJC articles online and the comments on them (I don't even know if they do that anymore) and on an article about the Northern Arc someone said to just widen 20. But 20 already had a lot of development even back then and has even more today. No one would take even a widened 20 to get around Atlanta between 85 and 75 on the north side. I remember quite a few times we would visit family in Woodstock from Snellville/Lawrenceville. Taking Holcomb Bridge Rd, it eventually turns into GA-92 and takes you right to Woodstock. But it was actually quicker to get on 85, go to 285, go up 75, and then up 575. Added 10 miles or so, but saved about 15 minutes because of all the red lights and lower speed limit.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:48 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
If a Northern Arc/Outer Perimeter had to be built, I want it to only have freeway-to-tollway connections with no additional interchanges.

Definitely not every road, but I could see something like no more than every 10-15 miles. A lot of the older turnpikes are like this. FL Turnpike, PA Turnpike are two that come to mind. If not for the awful US 11 "interchange" where you have to drive through commercial development to get to the turnpike from I-81, I would have always used that to get around Harrisburg instead of using 581 or I-83. It felt like you weren't even in Harrisburg. Kinda similar in Philly on I-476 north of 276. You have to go ten miles deep into the suburbs before the first available exit. Then another 10 plus as which point you're closer to Allentown.

My dad and I saw something similar on the Natchez Trace Pkwy. Obviously it's meant to be a scenic drive, but they took care when designing it to keep it separated from local traffic. There is barely any uptick in traffic when going through Tupelo or even Jackson with the exception of a two mile stretch connecting I-55 with a local road. All of the sudden locals were filling up the road and it got real busy but past that, you would never have guessed you were in the middle of the suburbs. Blue Ridge Pkwy is another with few access points.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:52 AM
bu2

24,097 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
It's kind of funny how the same people who moan about all the outsiders using the inner metro highways are also against any sort of bypass to take that traffic around (or for it to even have been built).
Very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta