Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 09:32 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
I have said many times a northern arc should be a toll road. As much as I do not like toll roads, let the people who would use it pay for it. I remember there was a lot of opposition from state legislators outside of the metro Atanta region to the northern arc, because it was going to be a state funded project and felt like the rest of Georgia was being ignored in regards to highway infrastructure. This was mid 90s.
I've said that the ONLY ways an Outer Perimeter/Northern Arc could be an effective bypass was if:
  • It was tolled
  • It had exits ONLY at existing freeways
  • It could never be allowed to have additional exits
  • New development is severely restricted within a certain distance of the right-of-way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 09:52 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I've said that the ONLY ways an Outer Perimeter/Northern Arc could be an effective bypass was if:
  • It was tolled
  • New development is severely restricted within a certain distance of the right-of-way
I agree with you 100%.. it should only be built as a means to alleviate existing traffic.. not encourage more exit development and sprawl.. Essentially make it like the NJ turnpike

Old 08-14-2017, 10:18 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,321 times
There is a highway north of DC that would be a good example to follow. The ICC in Montgomery and PG Counties/ It connects I270 with I95.. It is a toll road and has limited exits with strict buffers from development off of the exits.. It runs through heavily residential areas but is built in such a way to be unobtrusive. If the ICC could be extended over the POtomac River and connect to Dulles tollway and I66, then DC would effectively have a northern arc and it would certainly help alleviate traffic congestion on the Beltway which is worse than what metro Atlanta experiences.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:53 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
I could get behind a "North Georgia Turnpike", that would be a downward facing arc instead of upward, probably a 6-lane tollway that would branch off of I-75 north of Dalton, near metro Chattanooga. Then run to the SE, hugging below the south edge of the protected Chattahoochee National Forest, then it would end with a merge to I-85 just before the SC border. With only about 6 or 7 exits along the way, just for the various highways. Would be the ultimate bypass for interstate travel (particularly trucks), and would also give rural North Georgian communities better access Chattanooga and Gainesville, the latter being sort of the regional capital of the mountains, with the hospital and such.

Also in theory this could potentially relieve Hartsfield-Jackson, as more people from exurban north suburban counties like Cherokee and Forsyth and Dawson, could have much more direct and fast access to Chattanooga Airport, which in theory could grow in size and scope.

Then meanwhile to the south you'd have a new interstate freeway between Meridian-Montgomery-Columbus-Macon-Augusta.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:43 PM
bu2

24,092 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
  • It was tolled
Tolling is necessary to pay for it.

However, it should have more exits so it serves the residents in getting from suburb to suburb.

Restricting new development just drives housing prices higher. And it probably wouldn't be legal to restrict as each individual city or county would have the right to allow or not allow development (be a good reason to have it go through Milton-they wouldn't allow development).

Now it would be good to have limited exits, speeding traffic flow, more like every couple of miles instead of every mile or so like ITP. And there should not be access roads. Those encourage development along the road, making it a destination instead of a means to get to a destination.

Note: I am talking about a northern loop no further north than the northern edge of Forsyth and Cherokee, areas where there already is a lot of development. And further south would be better. Not that it would happen, but a loop running along Milton's southern border and serving Alpharetta's tech district would seem to be the ideal place.

Last edited by bu2; 08-14-2017 at 12:53 PM..

Old 08-14-2017, 01:19 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
It's never going to happen, in any form, and I'm not sure that it really should. What we need is to take cars off the freeway. To become less car-dependent. By implementing commuter rail, BRT on the freeways, whatever other mass transit.

Make 285 a bypass again. Take most of the local car traffic off of it, and have it handle the interstate travel and freight.
Ain't gonna happen. 285 is too much of a main street now to be relegated to a thru-traffic-only freeway.

Sadly, i could see GADOT someday dividing 285 into local and thru lanes, about 8 lanes total, in each direction. I would strongly oppose this, but GADOT loves them some lanes.

Last edited by toll_booth; 08-14-2017 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: Forgot to finish the sentence. :D

Old 08-14-2017, 01:28 PM

16,699 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
For the cost of that project, we could have built a new commuter rail network, extended MARTA, BeltLine transit, and Clifton Corridor.
Yessir.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:38 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Ain't gonna happen. 285 is too much of a main street now to be relegated

Sadly, i could see GADOT someday dividing 285 into local and thru lanes, about 8 lanes total, in each direction. I would strongly oppose this, but GADOT loves them some lanes.
They'd be lucky to get their current express toll lane proposal off the ground given the ROW challenges in the area.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:57 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Quote:
They'd be lucky to get their current express toll lane proposal off the ground given the ROW challenges in the area.
Indeed. GADOT might do what Dallas, Texas did with 635, which is their equivalent of the Top-End Perimeter, and that is to set the HOT lanes below ground level (but not deep enough to truly constitute a tunnel).

Old 08-14-2017, 02:30 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Indeed. GADOT might do what Dallas, Texas did with 635, which is their equivalent of the Top-End Perimeter, and that is to set the HOT lanes below ground level (but not deep enough to truly constitute a tunnel).
Where do you get the money? Instead couldn't that be better spent with commuter and intercity rail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta