Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 01:33 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,763,491 times

Advertisements

I'm concerned with how they are restructuring Windy Hill Blvd and afraid it's not the best use of money on the corridor.

I'm nervous about two things: 1) they're putting too much money into grade separating minor intersections vs. only major ones and 2) I'm nervous it creates to many walls/items that won't age well and turns into urban decay over time.

Typically major corridors that get congested and slow to a crawl are more often affected by long traffic-light cycles are the crossing of multiple heavy traffic roads. If it's a minor roads or a local connector, the traffic light timing advantages the main thoroughfare. So a major route might get 70-75% of the time for green light flow.

But when it's a major crossing it can be 50% or less and it's significantly less than 50% for straight/non-turning traffic due to timing for all of the turn movements.

Before we make major investments in long-lengths and minor intersections, the best improvement is to focus on major intersections and create a single bridge or in some cases no bridge, but a small collector road that makes a triangle for all turn movements. Focusing on increasing the amount of time for a green light can increase capacity.

Say you have 2 major roads. Each roadway gets 30% greenlight time for straight traffic and multiple cycles for different turn movements + lag time in light changes get the other 40%. We can do alterations that are major, but a far-cry from a freeway-like situation that would give the thru-traffic a greenlight for 60% of the time with one short bridge where there is a 40% red light time for turning traffic movements.

That doubles the capacity for thru-traffic at the intersection.

One thing I will draw attention to is Gwinnett's new SPLOST package. I actually like a large amount on the list.

One mid-major level project is they want to re-work existing stretches of Sugarloaf Pkwy with a 2 lane additional (4 to 6 lanes), so it will be 6 lanes from I-85 all the way to GA124.

Anyone who travels that route knows traffic is horrendous are rush hour and I suspect most people will immediately be for this. But if you drive the route, you know the problem is really back ups are caused by 3 or 4 major intersection traffic lights, notably GA 124, Five Forks, GA20, and US29.

Reworking those 4 intersections, so there can be 60% or higher green-light time for the thru-traffic will be major capacity upgrades to the roadway, even if there is no other changes.

US29 is ideal to start with. The short triangle create by the start of Lawrenceville-Suwanee Rd could be used for all turning traffic movements. A bridge created at the current intersection and removing that light. Then the existing lights at Lawrenceville-Suwanee at both Sugarloaf and US29 would be used for turning movements. https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...3eWs?entry=ttu

If we widen without focusing on the intersections, the traffic flow is still impeded by a limited amount of time for green lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2023, 07:13 AM

276 posts, read 167,545 times
I had the same thoughts about the whole Windy Hill Blvd project. Seems like a colossal project to bypass essentially two residential streetlights, but leave the two major intersections at each end intact. Feel like it would've been better spent trying to do something about the Cobb Pkwy intersection which gets absolutely clogged during rush hour.

Old 06-18-2023, 03:51 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,478,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberrysaus View Post
I had the same thoughts about the whole Windy Hill Blvd project. Seems like a colossal project to bypass essentially two residential streetlights, but leave the two major intersections at each end intact. Feel like it would've been better spent trying to do something about the Cobb Pkwy intersection which gets absolutely clogged during rush hour.
Your comment seems to raise an important point, which is that the Windy Hill Boulevard project (which was also controversial for the numerous small businesses the project took out along its path) is being paid for by Smyrna city government.

Any improvements to the Windy Hill Road intersection with Cobb Parkway would require the direct involvement of Georgia state government (by way of GDOT/Georgia Department of Transportation) because Cobb Parkway (US Highway 41/Georgia State Route 3) is a state-owned and maintained right-of-way.

Improvements in the form of a grade separation of the US-41/GA-3 Cobb Parkway and Windy Hill Road roadways seem to be in the pipeline, but likely are going to take a significant amount of time to be delivered even after having been under serious consideration since at least the 2012 regional T-SPLOST debacle in the early 2010’s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta