Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 08:57 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,728,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Well I had another problem. It hasn't been easy for me to make quality friends. It is much easier to socialize with someone by your side. Anyway, of late I have finally made a break through and the social life is pretty active. I have signed myself up fo r so much sh** I dunno if I can even keep track of it all. Haha. I feel in n.y. I didnt have to make such an effort but everywhere is different. You just have to be persistent.

Go to meetups. Choose a few of them and go to those regularly and you will begin to build friendships. Volunteer for events. Join a church group
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 12:33 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,337,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Go to meetups. Choose a few of them and go to those regularly and you will begin to build friendships. Volunteer for events. Join a church group
thx for your advice but i am taking a break on meetup. It hasn't been so effective for me but I have started volunteering more now that I have the time and I have signed up for plenty of events. It's just to go to them and trust me I will. I am meeting a lot of people don't get me wrong. Remember...my definition of what constitutes a friendship is different from everyone else's. I have people I text regularly now. Still looking to expand my circle, however. I will update in the future. I feel very positive about the events I have planned.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:48 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,005,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
thx for your advice but i am taking a break on meetup. It hasn't been so effective for me but I have started volunteering more now that I have the time and I have signed up for plenty of events. It's just to go to them and trust me I will. I am meeting a lot of people don't get me wrong. Remember...my definition of what constitutes a friendship is different from everyone else's. I have people I text regularly now. Still looking to expand my circle, however. I will update in the future. I feel very positive about the events I have planned.
I'm curious to know why MU is not effective for you?

That's interesting to hear when people say they cannot or have not met anyone. Heck, this past Monday I met a cool gal at........Chic Fil-A. She's super cool and is heavly involved in the non profit arena.

I've connected with so many people on the past 4 months....I can barely keep up. One person has been trying to have lunch since I moved here....we can't seem to coordinate schedules. She's very active and so am I.

Last night I was invited to see the Floyd/Conner fight......

I'm looking forward to doing Meetups.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I never really found Atlanta to be a "night out" kind of city. I mean yeah, there's things to do and events to attend, clubs, bars, ect .. but I would say Miami should have Atlanta beat by a large margin in that category. Atlanta is more so a business cluster than a fun city and there's nothing wrong with that.

As far as the diversity is concerned? Is Atlanta diverse? yeah..but..not in the way you might be hoping for. I personally don't think you will like Atlanta over Miami in this category. There are alot of different ethnicities yes but they all stick and collaborate within their own and there is very little dealing between them. Neighborhoods and entire suburban communities are often segregated to a specific group and the result of another group moving in often ends in awkwardness, or the higher class party completely desolating the area.

Houston, DFW, ect are much better for "Melting Pot Cities" IMO.
With regards to your first paragraph, everyone's definition of fun is different and I know you know that because I like what you've written. The OP could just be looking for people to have conversations with and laugh. I mean sh**, for me that's fun. I used to say that Atlanta is boring but I always compared it to N.Y., which was a mistake. I changed my criteria for what constitutes as fun. This was my way of trying to see the glass half full instead of half empty.

I never really thought about Atlanta as being so diverse. The suburbs are more diverse from what I see. And you're right, they do stick together and collaborate within their own. I have seen this but they are usually open to talking/hanging out with people who are white. Pretty racist but whatever I don't want to be around people who don't want to be around me. Again, this is my life experience. Everyone has a different story. Even the other day, I tried to get information/join an event that was geared towards a group that is Filipino. I swear they acted as if I was invisible. I was so shocked because I know Filipino people to be pretty social and friendly and so I said...you know what...maybe they are American Filipino or grew up in the U.S. because I don't know Filipino Filipinos to be like that.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I'm curious to know why MU is not effective for you?

That's interesting to hear when people say they cannot or have not met anyone. Heck, this past Monday I met a cool gal at........Chic Fil-A. She's super cool and is heavly involved in the non profit arena.

I've connected with so many people on the past 4 months....I can barely keep up. One person has been trying to have lunch since I moved here....we can't seem to coordinate schedules. She's very active and so am I.

Last night I was invited to see the Floyd/Conner fight......

I'm looking forward to doing Meetups.
It's not effective for me because a lot of the people don't seem to want to have a friendship outside of the meetup. Also, the ones I've been to don't have an event every week. So not a lot of time to actually build a rapport with the members, etc. Plus my schedule/budget.

It's fine. I've had better luck with Meetup elsewhere. I'm looking for other avenues to meet people and that's also okay. The next few weeks are lined up for me. I feel I will have better luck within the next few weeks+.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:05 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,302,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim8729 View Post
Hello,

My boyfriend and I are considering moving to the Atlanta area next year from Miami. I want to move because although I LOVE Miami, it lacks the diversity I am used to and love. Also, because of the language barrier and not seeing people who looks like me it is difficult to network as a business owner and make connections. We visited a few weeks ago and as far as hanging out I was extremely underwhelmed. I grew up in NY and Philly and I know I have to throw the city mindset out the door but we were so bored. Where do you hang out for fun? We are between 40-50 but we are from big cities so we're used to loud upscale restaurants and nice lounges where you can dance. When I say loud I don't mean boring just people talking, laughing and having a good time. Where do you go for fun? What do you love about living in Atlanta?

Definitely need to know where you were and what kind of stuff you are looking for. Where were hanging out?

Old 08-25-2017, 02:23 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,505,066 times
I have found meetup to be just another vehicle for people to form their little cliques and tribes. That's fine and if it is based on an interest or an activity like bowling, biking, hiking, camping, etc etc.. but too often these groups are not interested in anyone who does not have the right look, too old (that generally excludes me), or has the right kind of "profession".. I really don't see what it matters what someone's profession or age is to attend a bowling meetup. It reminds me of the cliques in high school and I thought we had gotten past that as adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta