Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 06:14 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,947 times

Advertisements

Atlanta's and Georgia's Confederate Monuments, will they stay or go? It's crazy because me even being a black male can see both sides of this. It's like it's a part of Georgia's history but with all that has been going on now a days with the Virginia situation and the hate being dug up it makes me question it. I have said this a lot here on City- Data about Georgia being the heart of Dixie and it seems Stone Mountain being Ground Zero of it all. Even watching the news yesterday I had no ideal Georgia had so many racist hate groups based here, over 30. IMO, this whole taking the Confederate history and making it out of a hate thing has even put a cloud over one of my favorite TV shows of all time based right here in the Atlanta, GA. Area " The Dukes of Hazzard " , which wasn't racist at all. To me it represented Southern Heritage and the good ol Day's, Family, Friends, Georgia red dirt roads in days past , etc. the way Georgia used to be back when I was a kid. If I'm not mistaken and correct me if I'm wrong but I think Georgia. has a law preventing them from removing any war Monuments, including Confederate Monuments but I think it's a push to have them change that to remove these Monuments including one in Downtown Decatur, as well as Stone Mountain. Confederate AVE. , Old Dixie HWY, etc., so many Street names and symbols representing Georgia history. Should they go, should they change names all due to the hate being dug up from the past? I know this is touchy subject but could they remain with out these hate groups digging up dirt and bringing out symbolization of Hate around them?

Calls grow to ditch Decatur Confederate monument after Charlottesville

Old 08-15-2017, 06:25 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Here's hoping the better part of you prevails.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:10 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Here's hoping the better part of you prevails.
As liberal as Decatur is, I imagine it is gone if not against state law. It is one of several on the square honoring locals who have died in wars.

Note that Atlanta also had Ft. McPherson, named after a union general who died rallying his troops in the Battle of Atlanta. The Civil War was very much a part of Atlanta's history. I find the various markers fascinating. Regarding McPherson, there is one near the Candler Park MARTA station noting that was where he was having a cigar with his officers when he heard the firing indicating the start of the Battle of Atlanta. He dashed off some orders and rode into the battle.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:22 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,432 times
The monument on the Decatur square sits about 50 feet from the front steps of the Deklab History Center, which already has a lot of information and displays relating to the Civil War. Maybe cut the top off so it fits through the doors, scoot it inside, and move on with life.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:48 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Atlanta's and Georgia's Confederate Monuments, will they stay or go? It's crazy because me even being a black male can see both sides of this. It's like it's a part of Georgia's history but with all that has been going on now a days with the Virginia situation and the hate being dug up it makes me question it. I have said this a lot here on City- Data about Georgia being the heart of Dixie and it seems Stone Mountain being Ground Zero of it all. Even watching the news yesterday I had no ideal Georgia had so many racist hate groups based here, over 30. IMO, this whole taking the Confederate history and making it out of a hate thing has even put a cloud over one of my favorite TV shows of all time based right here in the Atlanta, GA. Area " The Dukes of Hazzard " , which wasn't racist at all. To me it represented Southern Heritage and the good ol Day's, Family, Friends, Georgia red dirt roads in days past , etc. the way Georgia used to be back when I was a kid. If I'm not mistaken and correct me if I'm wrong but I think Georgia. has a law preventing them from removing any war Monuments, including Confederate Monuments but I think it's a push to have them change that to remove these Monuments including one in Downtown Decatur, as well as Stone Mountain. Confederate AVE. , Old Dixie HWY, etc., so many Street names and symbols representing Georgia history. Should they go, should they change names all due to the hate being dug up from the past? I know this is touchy subject but could they remain with out these hate groups digging up dirt and bringing out symbolization of Hate around them?

Calls grow to ditch Decatur Confederate monument after Charlottesville
Please don't take this as anything disrespectful but you were consumed with the ignorance of not knowing as a kid. Now that you have knowledge, you fully understand that these symbols represent racism and hatred under the disguise of history and heritage. All of the monuments, statues and street names need to go. The South lost the Civil War so why hang on to it like it was a victory.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:01 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Please don't take this as anything disrespectful but you were consumed with the ignorance of not knowing as a kid. Now that you have knowledge, you fully understand that these symbols represent racism and hatred under the disguise of history and heritage. All of the monuments, statues and street names need to go. The South lost the Civil War so why hang on to it like it was a victory.
Some groups did adopt them to represent racism and hatred. Some were built for that reason.
Most did not have that as their motivation. There was a lot of renewed interest in the Civil War in the 1960s with the centennial.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:16 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
Not to get off topic, but as a black male I marvel at our race hypocrisy. We still argue over light skin blacks being more superior than dark skin blacks. It also highly promoted in our movie and music entertainment. Lets eradicate this type of racism within in our own culture too.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:17 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Many statues in the South were erected in the 60s in response to the Civil Rights movement.

Yes, it's time for monuments to traitors and terrorists to go.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:21 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Some groups did adopt them to represent racism and hatred. Some were built for that reason.
Most did not have that as their motivation. There was a lot of renewed interest in the Civil War in the 1960s with the centennial.
"The centennial" was mostly a cover to protest school desegregation efforts and the Civil Rights movement in general throughout the South.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:25 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I don't take it with disrespect and I get your point fully. I'm just trying to be open minded here and seeing this from different view points. In my honest opinion, I don't think every one is trying to be racist, just because they want to display history here in the south, were it be Civil rights or Civil War, it's all apart of our history good and bad. Atlanta and Georgia is kinda Ground Zero for Civil Rights and Civil War if you think about it, ATL burned and the beginning of the New South Begin, a rebirth of sorts... It's when we have these radical hate groups that come out the wood work and make it that way is when it becomes a problem and yes if this keeps happening, I Totally Agree, they need to go! I'm trying to be Unbiased here. Even in my example of the late 70's early 80's TV show The Dukes of Hazzard. I never felt any racism from that show and it was based right here in Georgia. Yes, plenty of Southern Heritage was displayed in that show, but never was racism that I could see was displayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta