Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2018, 11:37 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
That post was not directed at cwkimbro. The post above where I say "cwkimbro - This post was not addressed to me, but did just want to say thanks for the post..." was.

However, if you think me and my sources are "known to be full of lies or so full of bias" without even giving them a read, that post was intended for you. Please block me now.

To be honest, you add a certain level of excitement to the forum. I'm not sure I'd like to see you blocked from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 11:39 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
That's really sad. I'm pretty sure Cobb could have found another way. I don't know how much those parks are used but I'm pretty sure the libraries are a resource important to many people living in the area. If Cobb were willing to use taxpayer money to fund the stadium, it should definitely have used taxpayer money to keep those libraries. Really shameful. I still don't think Cobb is going broke or will crash and burn but still...just interesting how education is always attacked first when it comes to the budget (not just Cobb but statewide).
Yep. It looks like Cobb decided the best way to get taxpayers to agree to pay a bit more was to hit them where they couldn't say no.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:41 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
To be honest, you add a certain level of excitement to the forum. I'm not sure I'd like to see you blocked from it.
Great. Enjoy reading. But don't expect a reply from me if it is clear you have not actually read the article / topic we are discussing or are making the same argument I have already responded to.

For anyone else that is unsure of how to block me, just click my user name > "View Public Profile" > "User Lists" > "Add to Ignore List".

Old 08-13-2018, 11:54 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Yep. It looks like Cobb decided the best way to get taxpayers to agree to pay a bit more was to hit them where they couldn't say no.

They'll feel it when those libraries close. I know schools these days more accept online sources but still a good thing to have libraries where you can borrow books to use for papers. I enjoyed libraries because especially in Georgia, the school libraries didn't have books that I'd be interested in reading.

Also, sometimes when you're broke and don't have internet, libraries come in handy. If you don't have a printer, libraries are affordable. I go to libraries whenever I want something scanned.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:46 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
J2R,

As has been stated here numerous times, the overwhelming reason for the shortfall was the fact that Tim Lee, desperate to appeal to the voters in an attempt to win re-election, pushed through a millage rate decrease in 2016, and the commissioners, rather blindly, went along with it. Without that decrease, there'd have been no hole. The commission voted to raise rates to plug the hole a couple of weeks ago. Libraries and parks will remain open, Sunday hours at libraries will remain, and so on.
That's politics for you. Good analysis.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:50 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
evannole and I and others have stated the above numerous times now. That was the cause of the budget issue and that was the resolution, so the topic of this thread is obsolete. And it had nothing to do with cars or baseball or elevators.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
evannole and I and others have stated the above numerous times now. That was the cause of the budget issue and that was the resolution, so the topic of this thread is obsolete. And it had nothing to do with cars or baseball or elevators.
And I have responded numerous times now challenging the notion that this is a long-term fix and citing sources showing how projects such as the Braves are a net drain on the budget and contributing to the on-going budget issues the county is facing.

Do you really think this one time tax increase has solved Cobb's budget issues for good?

Old 08-13-2018, 01:17 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Everyone knows how anti-Cobb the AJC is

Old 08-13-2018, 01:33 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
That's really sad. I'm pretty sure Cobb could have found another way. I don't know how much those parks are used but I'm pretty sure the libraries are a resource important to many people living in the area. If Cobb were willing to use taxpayer money to fund the stadium, it should definitely have used taxpayer money to keep those libraries. Really shameful. I still don't think Cobb is going broke or will crash and burn but still...just interesting how education is always attacked first when it comes to the budget (not just Cobb but statewide).
Cobb cannot just spending-cut their way out of this. They are going to have to raise more revenue, and that includes getting rid of that silly property tax exemption for seniors. School quality is a major contributor to property values; why should some owners be exempt from contributing to that school quality?

Old 08-13-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Everyone knows how anti-Cobb the AJC is
Yep. Along with:

Deadspin

CBS Sports

Curbed

Vice

Field of Schemes

Reason Foundation

Cobb Taxpayer Association

WSB

Market Watch

Bloomberg

The Tea Party

Sports Illustrated

SB Nation

The Atlantic

...among dozens of others.

So obviously the problem is these sources being anti-Cobb! No need to read any of these articles or sources ever again!

Last edited by jsvh; 08-13-2018 at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta