Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 05:55 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
These statues have been there for decades. No one cared or said anything until now and all of a sudden, it causes pain. Please.
Actually there has always been outrage, but now that we have widespread internet word is spreading faster, just like police brutality has been exposed. You do know that these "memorials" were erected in the 60's as a **** you to blacks. Just like the Confederate battle flag was brought back as a symbol of racism.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:58 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'm certainly not going to depend on you and your high-flown, solipsistic attitude to interpret it for me. Grow up a little, acquire some intellectual honesty and get back to me in 20 years.
You're going to deny that many of these "memorials" weren't erected with the intent of intimidating black people? It's not a matter of interpretation. It's the literal historical record. Lol at "intellectual honesty." Quite rich coming from the side performing mental gymnastics to reason why these monuments are justifiable.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:22 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Actually there has always been outrage, but now that we have widespread internet word is spreading faster, just like police brutality has been exposed. You do know that these "memorials" were erected in the 60's as a **** you to blacks. Just like the Confederate battle flag was brought back as a symbol of racism.
Precisely, but most of those statues/monuments were erected much earlier than the 60's. What we really started seeing in the late 50's/60's are a bunch of schools in the South named after Confederates, but some would argue that Brown v Board and school desegregation efforts had absolutely nothing to do with that. And then you have the resurrection of the Confederate flag, which pretty much disappeared at the end of the Civil War up until the beginning of the Civil Rights movement.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:25 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The first question is how it got that name. Was it named after the Confederacy or does it have some different derivation?
The old Confederate Soldiers Home was located there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confed...ldiers%27_Home, with Streetcar service from East Atlanta

Old 08-18-2017, 06:28 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The old Confederate Soldiers Home was located there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confed...ldiers%27_Home, with Streetcar service from East Atlanta
Touche. Now everyone can put their hair out. Or not.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:29 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Off topic, but it's funny (as a black person specifically) that confederate Atlanta had better transit than we do today, but anyway I would change the name to Union Ave just like Fort McPherson was renamed.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:32 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Off topic, but it's funny (as a black person specifically) that confederate Atlanta had better transit than we do today, but anyway I would change the name to Union Ave just like Fort McPherson was renamed.
All this would be avoided if Atlanta had numbered streets and avenues.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
You're going to deny that many of these "memorials" weren't erected with the intent of intimidating black people? It's not a matter of interpretation. It's the literal historical record. Lol at "intellectual honesty." Quite rich coming from the side performing mental gymnastics to reason why these monuments are justifiable.
What evidence do you have that this was done with such an intent? Quotes? Documentation of said agenda? Or did you get in the Wayback Machine and interview those responsible?
When I look at the monuments, if it evokes any feelings it would be a sense of loss and regret for such a wrongheaded and wasteful conflict that cost an almost unfathomable amount of human capital...like all wars.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:40 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'm certainly not going to depend on you and your high-flown, solipsistic attitude to interpret it for me. Grow up a little, acquire some intellectual honesty and get back to me in 20 years.
And with that, you're being beyond ridiculous. This is beneath you.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
And with that, you're being beyond ridiculous. This is beneath you.
But no consideration or criticism for those that I respond to, of course. It's not coming out of the blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta