Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I have also noticed that recently the homeless population seems to have surged. I bike under the highway overpass between Hill St and Grady hospital, leading up to the Children's Healthcare Emergency Room, and for the past couple of months the homeless population there has been growing and growing. The entire underpass must have close to 50+ people sleeping on the sidewalk every morning, and more than once I've seen someone publicly urinating on the walls there. Same thing going on in Hurt Park, and then along Peachtree Center more and more people are just opening sleeping in the middle of the sidewalk. Atlanta has always had a homelessness problem, but I'm wondering what has caused it to seemingly explode recently, especially downtown.

Peachtree-Pine was supposed to close, but the outside still has the same amount of loitering going on, so I'm assuming it is still open? Props go out to some good shelters - I know the Nicholas House in Grant Park is a really great shelter that offers free classes to the people who stay there, along with childcare for homeless parents taking those classes and looking for a job.
I have noticed a surge around Five Points Station and Marietta St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 02:36 PM

31 posts, read 28,892 times
If they are sleeping out on the streets its because they want to or either they have been kicked out of the shelters. Most of the people you sleeping out on the streets are men, and I volunteer @ Gateway and I know they have open beds for men to sleep. Gateway is really a great place, but there is only so much that they can provide with low funding.

Mental illness is a huge factor, there are so many mentally ill people walking around. The shelters can only do so much for them, you can not make them get help or take meds.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:36 PM

821 posts, read 726,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I have noticed a surge around Five Points Station and Marietta St.
They'll probably be kicked out soon from there with all the development. Wonder where they will go next.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:14 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
It isnt as bad ad NYC, LA, San Diego, San Fran, etc.

But yeah I agree. I hope this is a lesson for our future generation to not use drugs, finish school, don't commit crimes so that you don't have a police record and to keep a good relationship with family. Thing is there are plenty of low wage jobs in Atlanta. Most are out In the suburbs though where there is limited public transportation especially warehouse jobs that pay $8.25 per hour. Even with that small amount you can still get a $500 per month apartment in Metro Atlanta.

Not talking about the mentally ill

Last edited by fieldm; 08-22-2017 at 07:38 PM..

Old 08-22-2017, 08:31 PM

761 posts, read 907,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I have also noticed that recently the homeless population seems to have surged. I bike under the highway overpass between Hill St and Grady hospital, leading up to the Children's Healthcare Emergency Room, and for the past couple of months the homeless population there has been growing and growing. The entire underpass must have close to 50+ people sleeping on the sidewalk every morning, and more than once I've seen someone publicly urinating on the walls there. Same thing going on in Hurt Park, and then along Peachtree Center more and more people are just opening sleeping in the middle of the sidewalk. Atlanta has always had a homelessness problem, but I'm wondering what has caused it to seemingly explode recently, especially downtown.

Peachtree-Pine was supposed to close, but the outside still has the same amount of loitering going on, so I'm assuming it is still open? Props go out to some good shelters - I know the Nicholas House in Grant Park is a really great shelter that offers free classes to the people who stay there, along with childcare for homeless parents taking those classes and looking for a job.
Even if Peachtree and Pine is still open, they make all the residents leave during the day. They can only be there overnight, so they kick out several 100 homeless men during the day. These are the guys you see on the sidewalks and underpasses near Emory Midtown.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:31 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
One problem could be the city trying to paint a pig instead of just admitting it's a pig. I have vivid memories of encounters with Atlanta's homeless. It's disgusting, but also unfortunate.

The homeless problem has also gotten pretty bad in Charleston too. Never thought I'd see a tent city in SC. This was actually in the literal backyard of a luxury apartment. They're charging $1500 for a 1 bedroom, in the projects, next to a seedy overpass. They think building these shiny apartments in these areas will suddenly make homeless people go away, but I've noticed that not be the case. You're still ignoring them.

The city doesnt seem to really intervene until it begins to affect tourists. The city disbanded tent city, but I believe they just moved to another spot. That's the experience I've seen everywhere. Just move 'em, hide 'em.

With all this redevelopment occurring and starting to occur around downtown and Midtown Atlanta, I hope the city starts something to get these people on their feet and off the street, like others have proposed. Otherwise these people will just migrate and the problem will continue, or they'll stick around and continue to make people uncomfortable. Neither helps.

I know in Charleston it's illegal to feed homeless. Columbia has taken it a step further and has pretty much made homelessness itself illegal. That's not how you fix this issue. Hopefully Atlanta will actually try to get these people off the street, rather than push them out of sight, or threaten them with jail like Columbia.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 08-22-2017 at 09:45 PM..

Old 08-23-2017, 07:27 AM

81 posts, read 92,228 times
Believe or not there's a few homeless people that shack up in Alpharetta. Mostly near Westside Pkwy and Haynes Bridge Rd.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:05 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,083,751 times
This thread reminded me of one posted here almost 7 years ago.

Within it was this rather astute post from our eminent fellow CD'er Arjay57:

"I have never understood why a downtown location is the best place for the homeless. Seems to me it would be better to locate homeless support services where you've got some greenery and open space instead of asphalt, concrete and tall buildings.

If you move to a more suburban location, at least you could set up barracks or some similar kind of shelter where people have breathing and walking around room. It shouldn’t be a piece of junk and it would probably be better than what they’re living in now. Given how many soldiers, contractors and support personnel we’ve been housing overseas this past decade, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some new technology that could be put to use to create satisfactory housing.

I will probably get shouted down for saying this, but Atlanta could learn some important lessons from its past. In the late 1800s and the first half of the 1900s the city maintained its poor folk in almshouses. Initially they were at Peachtree and Piedmont, then they moved north toward Old Ivy, and eventually over to Chastain. The buildings are still there today and are used as art centers and as part of a private school. They were run for many years by the great Dr. R. L. Hope, and they were widely admired for providing a decent quality of life and giving people some actual meaning as well. The residents worked the grounds and the poorhouses were close to self-sustaining. They had medical care and schooling, and families could stay together. Anybody who hasn't read "The Poor Houses," which traces the history of the way Atlanta looked after its less fortunate citizens in days gone by, definitely needs to take a look. The way folks are warehoused these days and dumped out into asphalt parking lots and city streets is demeaning and dehumanizing. It's a dead-end for them and for society."

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...shelter-8.html

Old 08-23-2017, 09:26 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
It isnt as bad ad NYC, LA, San Diego, San Fran, etc.

But yeah I agree. I hope this is a lesson for our future generation to not use drugs, finish school, don't commit crimes so that you don't have a police record and to keep a good relationship with family. Thing is there are plenty of low wage jobs in Atlanta. Most are out In the suburbs though where there is limited public transportation especially warehouse jobs that pay $8.25 per hour. Even with that small amount you can still get a $500 per month apartment in Metro Atlanta.

Not talking about the mentally ill
I think that is easier said and than done. A habitual drug habit is no fun. I also think anyone close to their right mind would not choose a path of homelessness. Life happens! Furthermore, self righteousness attitudes and a suppose moral superiority is definitely not the solution. No one is perfect and everyone needs mercy if someone truly desires to change. The only institution patient enough to deal with the ills of the soul should be a healthy vibrant church with multiple resources in my opinion.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:32 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,380,112 times
"More than 200 people living at the Peachtree-Pine homeless shelter in downtown Atlanta will not be forced out of the building once the new owners take over.

The embattled shelter will transfer to the non-profit group, Central Atlanta Progress.

On Tuesday night, we were there as city leaders laid out their plans for the future to accommodate those living at the shelter.

During an online forum, hosted by Atlanta City Councilman Kwanzaa Hall, it was announced the Regional Commission on Homelessness will begin a 45-60 day "transition process" where residents will be assessed and will work with community partners to find them suitable places to live..."

SOURCE: Atlanta City Council unveils plans to meet needs of homeless | WSB-TV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta