Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 12:18 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times

Advertisements

I think the national HSR system should follow the national interstates. So you'd have a line from Boston to Miami, roughly following I-95, connecting every major city all along the coast. And then you'd have a roughly-I-85 line from New Orleans to DC, via Atlanta and Charlotte and others. DC would be the connection between those 2 lines.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:24 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
You know my thought.

I think it's pathetic that every city in the country isn't connected with high speed rail. While Japan was developing it's system, we were doing...I don't even know what.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:55 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
You know the distance from MCO to TPA is 81 miles, while MCO to ATL is 405 miles. As everyone knows MCO to TPA is full of tourist attractions which gives you a huge base of potential riders.

TPA has a decent selection of international flights, but MCO has more. A train would make it easier to get to MCO for international flights

Air Canada Seasonal: Halifax, Ottawa
Air Canada Rouge Montréal–Trudeau, Toronto–Pearson
Air Transat Seasonal: Montréal–Trudeau, Toronto–Pearson (both begin February 18, 2018)
WestJet Toronto–Pearson Seasonal: Ottawa, St. John's
Cayman Airways Grand Cayman
Copa Airlines Panama City
Delta Air Lines Seasonal: Cancún
Havana Air operated by Eastern Air Lines Charter: Havana, Holguín, Santa Clara
Silver Airways Marsh Harbour (BA), Nassau, Seasonal: North Eleuthera (begins September 28, 2017)
British Airways London–Gatwick
Edelweiss Air Zürich
Icelandair Reykjavík–Keflavík (begins September 7, 2017)
Lufthansa operated by Lufthansa CityLine Frankfurt

Old 08-24-2017, 01:27 PM

205 posts, read 250,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I think the national HSR system should follow the national interstates. So you'd have a line from Boston to Miami, roughly following I-95, connecting every major city all along the coast. And then you'd have a roughly-I-85 line from New Orleans to DC, via Atlanta and Charlotte and others. DC would be the connection between those 2 lines.
We could do that, and it will be a shorter route than the one I proposed. However, there would be much more distance between cities on the leg between Savannah and Raleigh if there's no stopping in Fayetteville or Florence, and Columbia might have a larger metro population and is more significant in South Carolina than Florence. Since Columbia isn't on I-95 and Florence and Fayetteville would be one more stop than just going from Jacksonville to Savannah to Columbia to Raleigh to Richmond to D.C, I would think that it be a little more practical to just do it the route I posted earlier.

I love the idea of going from New Orleans along 85 to DC via Atlanta and Charlotte, and if it eventually connected with Texas and the West Coast via Houston, I think that route could be almost as popular as the I-95 route you proposed.

Anyway, neither is right or wrong, and this is just my opinion, and I hope I did not put your opinion down. I just think there's a little more historic precedent with this map in placehttps://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...tates_2013.svg

Old 08-24-2017, 01:32 PM

205 posts, read 250,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
You know the distance from MCO to TPA is 81 miles, while MCO to ATL is 405 miles. As everyone knows MCO to TPA is full of tourist attractions which gives you a huge base of potential riders.

TPA has a decent selection of international flights, but MCO has more. A train would make it easier to get to MCO for international flights

Air Canada Seasonal: Halifax, Ottawa
Air Canada Rouge Montréal–Trudeau, Toronto–Pearson
Air Transat Seasonal: Montréal–Trudeau, Toronto–Pearson (both begin February 18, 2018)
WestJet Toronto–Pearson Seasonal: Ottawa, St. John's
Cayman Airways Grand Cayman
Copa Airlines Panama City
Delta Air Lines Seasonal: Cancún
Havana Air operated by Eastern Air Lines Charter: Havana, Holguín, Santa Clara
Silver Airways Marsh Harbour (BA), Nassau, Seasonal: North Eleuthera (begins September 28, 2017)
British Airways London–Gatwick
Edelweiss Air Zürich
Icelandair Reykjavík–Keflavík (begins September 7, 2017)
Lufthansa operated by Lufthansa CityLine Frankfurt
I think the FEC brightline has routes planned for the connection to the Orlando International Airport with Tampa city, although I don't know about them connecting the Tampa airport to the Orlando Airport. You can read more about them here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brightline and here: Florida Train Travel & Tickets - Florida Train Company | Brightline

Old 08-24-2017, 01:39 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
I'd be on board with that :-) I'd love to be able to get to Richmond and DC in less than 4-5 hours in comfort and without the hassle of TSA.

Loved the HSR system in China when we lived there one summer -- 5 hours for the 819 miles between Shanghai and Beijing! Granted, China does't have the private property issues that rail builders here in the U.S. face, but goodness, it was wonderful. The security was far less oppressive than for a plane trip to the same location, the seats were FAR more comfortable, you could get up and walk around easily, enjoy a dining car, and generally have a fairly stress-free trip. When you figured the time involved in checking in, going through security, flying in an uncomfortable seat for 2 hr. and 15 minutes, waiting for luggage -- it's a no-brainer.

I've taken the Amtrak train from DC to Atlanta before -- a 12 hour overnight ride, but the seats were comfortable (reclined, foot rest), there was a snack car (not dining), and the bathroom was definitely less claustrophobic. I snoozed most of the time. But NEVER will I ever check a bag on Amtrak again. When we reached Atlanta, it took them almost an HOUR to unload and bring the luggage to the station, and then insisted on calling out each clam ticket ONE BY ONE - so if your bag was at the back of the pile, you sat there and waited for almost 30-45 minutes for them to call your number. INSANE!

Old 08-24-2017, 06:18 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
You know the distance from MCO to TPA is 81 miles, while MCO to ATL is 405 miles.
Orlando is Atlanta's #1 O&D air market, with packed flights every hour all day long.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:15 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
I would love it. There really is no great way around these areas. I currently live in Charlotte and if I want to take the train to get to Orlando, I have to take the train up to Raleigh and then back down. It is about a 20 hour trip. I can drive it in 8.

I can take the train from Atlanta to Charlotte in 5 hours though.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:46 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Thankfully, you aren't in charge of suppressing discussion here.

And Florida's new Brightline network is actively studying the feasibility of expanding the network to Atlanta from Jacksonville.
Ok, fine. Wait for the results of the study and see if it's feasible. I'm tired of these HSR dream threads.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:48 AM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Ok, fine. Wait for the results of the study and see if it's feasible. I'm tired of these HSR dream threads.
Then don't read them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta