Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 06:56 PM

83 posts, read 122,021 times

Advertisements

A good friend was recently offered a pretty great job at Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center. She has not spent a lot of time in Atlanta and knows little about the city and this venue. From what we see, it seems sort of like Atlanta's version of the Staples Center in LA. Is this correct? Is it a well-regarded performing arts center, or sort of schlocky and headed downward?

If she does end up taking the job and moving, she'd really like to rent somewhere very close to work for at least the first year, ideally somewhere walkable to the Performing Arts Center. We can see it's a mall/hotel-type area on the freeway, but there seem to be some apartment complexes just across the freeway. Is that a safe area to live? And would it be safe, both in terms of crime and traffic, to walk/bike from there on a daily basis?

If that seems like a bad idea, are there any safe, walkable neighborhoods (walkable to things like a Whole Foods, a library, a movie theater, cafes and restaurants), that would be a quick, easy commute to Cobb? She's hoping to keep rent for a 1BR/1BA somewhere under $1300/mo.

Any advice on living in Atlanta and working at Cobb PAC for a single Black woman in her 40's would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:06 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
The Cobb Energy Performance Center is very nice - but no I would not compare it to the Staples Center because there are no Sports played there.

It is an excellent and safe area and quite popular these days. The Center is not that old and when built was skeptical that the arts crow would travel out side of the city center. The Atlanta Ballet moved when it opened and I believe Opera as well. It has been very successful and received excellent reviews.

The area is referred to as Cumberland/Vinings area in many posts. It is also the area that the new Atlanta Braves stadium opened this year.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:49 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,989 times
I think perhaps you meant the Disney Center (performing arts center) (edit - I see the proper name is Walt Disney Concert Hall - beautiful building which I visited 15 years ago or so) rather than the Staples Center (sports arena)? In any event, yes, the Cobb Energy Center is akin to the Disney Center in LA, though not as prestigious, of course. It's still a very nice facility and plays host to the Atlanta Ballet and the Atlanta Opera, as well as plenty of touring Broadway shows, concerts and the like. The hall is very pleasant and acoustics are good. (The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra still has Symphony Hall in Midtown Atlanta as their home facility.)

The area around the Cobb Energy Center is generally pretty good. Personally, I would get a little bit away from Cobb Parkway and I -75 simply because of noise and congestion, but there are several new apartment complexes in the vicinity - the ones just across 75 that you noted, and also the ones at Cumberland Boulevard and Cobb Parkway as well as another on Cumberland just west of Cobb Parkway. If your friend would like a more walkable experience nearby, Vinings might have some options, and while you generally have to drive to The Battery, the new retail, restaurant and entertainment complex surrounding the new Braves stadium, SunTrust Park, at the corner of 75 and Cobb Parkway, if you live in one of the new apartments at The Battery, it's extremely walkable. I don't know what the rents are like at any of these complexes, but I imagine that she ought to be able to find what she's looking for within her budget at at least some of them.

Walking to work at Cobb Energy Center is probably going to be tough. Cobb Parkway is not a pleasant road along which to walk, and the area is extremely hilly, which tends to make things difficult. There are also a lot of pretty wide intersections that I wouldn't feel comfortable crossing as a pedestrian on a regular basis. Same goes for cycling in much of this immediate area. Working at Cobb Energy Center would likely necessitate a car.

As mentioned earlier, Vinings is nearby and is pretty walkable, but the hill from Vinings up to the Cobb Energy Center is too steep to make a foot or bike commute practical.

It's a bit farther afield, but the area around downtown Smyrna might offer some of what she's looking for. Downtown Marietta is easily the most walkable place in Cobb County but apartment offerings near the historic Square are rather limited, as the housing skews more towards single family. Midtown Atlanta isn't too much farther and of course it's very walkable, but I am not sure how far $1300/month goes there these days.

Best of luck to your friend in her search! Let us know of any questions.

Last edited by evannole; 08-24-2017 at 09:07 PM..

Old 08-24-2017, 08:57 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowly104 View Post
A good friend was recently offered a pretty great job at Cobb Energy Performing Arts Center. She has not spent a lot of time in Atlanta and knows little about the city and this venue. From what we see, it seems sort of like Atlanta's version of the Staples Center in LA. Is this correct? Is it a well-regarded performing arts center, or sort of schlocky and headed downward?
Our version of Staples Center would be Philips Arena Downtown. As lorilove mentioned, Cobb Energy is a performing arts hall. Besides the Ballet & Opera, they host every sort of touring production you can imagine - from Broadway productions to current one person shows. If you're from L.A., it's sort of similar to Warner Center, only much prettier and much more bulked up corporate office-wise. There is no equivalent to the fabulous Westfield Topanga complex though, unfortunately.

Quote:
If she does end up taking the job and moving, she'd really like to rent somewhere very close to work for at least the first year, ideally somewhere walkable to the Performing Arts Center. We can see it's a mall/hotel-type area on the freeway, but there seem to be some apartment complexes just across the freeway. Is that a safe area to live? And would it be safe, both in terms of crime and traffic, to walk/bike from there on a daily basis?
Most of those apartments across the freeway are older, but well-kept and safe. Some of them back up to gorgeous National Park land along the Chattahoochee River. This part of town is incredibly beautiful in spots, and this River corridor is one of them. Sorry, but I'm not sure how safe it would be to bike or walk but crime should not be an issue either way. It's very hilly in this neighborhood though, some of them being pretty steep. Biking it could be a challenge.

Quote:
If that seems like a bad idea, are there any safe, walkable neighborhoods (walkable to things like a Whole Foods, a library, a movie theater, cafes and restaurants), that would be a quick, easy commute to Cobb? She's hoping to keep rent for a 1BR/1BA somewhere under $1300/mo.
It's not always easy to check all of the boxes on your above list in Atlanta. Many of those things can be found minutes way though in Vinings, Smyrna and Marietta on that side of the River. Her budget should not be an issue, with the exception of the new luxury developments doting the neighborhood.

There are multiple options closer-in that I'll let others chime in on.

Quote:
Any advice on living in Atlanta and working at Cobb PAC for a single Black woman in her 40's would be most appreciated.

Thank you.
She'll be just fine. Like any large metro, you have to be aware of your surroundings. But it's a beautiful, warm and welcoming place and many of us consider it to be the friendliest major City in the country.

Good luck to your friend!

Old 08-24-2017, 09:05 PM

As usual, evennole was much more knowledgeable as a local!

I wasn't aware of the new apartments across 75, I'm guessing around Ovation?

Old 08-24-2017, 09:05 PM

Good advice from both JMatl and lorilove, as usual!

Old 08-24-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
As usual, evennole was much more knowledgeable as a local!

I wasn't aware of the new apartments across 75, I'm guessing around Ovation?
Overton Park, from what I see on the map. I don't know the area quite like I used to, though. Pass through there every day but don't get off the highway there too often... Though I am planning on a Costco run there tomorrow morning!

Old 08-24-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Overton Park, from what I see on the map. I don't know the area quite like I used to, though. Pass through there every day but don't get off the highway there too often... Though I am planning on a Costco run there tomorrow morning!
LOL, that's it - Overton Park!

Ovation is actually a competitor of ours at work that we're bidding against for a new client. I need a vacation.

Enjoy Costco on a non-Saturday morning!

Old 08-25-2017, 04:32 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
I will note that this area of town does not have a Whole Foods - crazy I know. A new Whole 360 is under construction about 3 miles south. There was talk of a Fresh Foods at The Battery but I don't know what happened to that. Sprouts is further west in Smyrna.

In the Cumberland area, they don't have the best of grocery stores (compared to what you can find elsewhere in Atlanta) but not for lack of trying. Kroger I believe is still trying to secure a location for premier store.

There are two Publix's within a few miles east and west of Cumberland, a nice Costco right at the mall and a smaller/older Kroger just south of Cobb Energy.

Just for a little history - this area of town was the place to be for singles in the late 1970's early 80's. I heard stories about the apartments along Akers Mill Road having long waiting lists to get in.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:44 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,725 times
If walking to work is desired, Overton Rise, Encore, Walton Riverwood and Bell Vinings are all new apartments that are within walking distance (no more than 0.5 miles). Others are being built, and there are plenty within a very short drive (<10 minutes), including those on Cumberland Pkwy SE near the Publix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta