Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 10:07 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon everyone,

I am considering going to school for business. I posted a similar thread in the education forum but this one is a little different because specifically I am asking about programs at GSU. I would like to know what degrees out there tend to give people a boost in the job market after graduation. For me it doesn't make sense to earn a degree that won't make me competitive. What's most important for me is a degree that is flexible in terms of being able to use it to apply for different jobs, it should be a competitive degree, and something that people after they earn and start working, tend to be successful.

I heard GSU is a good school for business and law majors and that's why I'm choosing it. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 11:24 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,284 times
Latest rankings place Kennesaw State the best in Georgia for business after Emory.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:31 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,990 times
Are you talking undergrad or graduate programs? I think that an undergrad in business is a mistake - there are WAY too many business graduates out there with bachelor's degrees. I think getting an MBA is different, and you're probably better poised to learn something in business during undergrad with a different but related major (i.e. economics, or similar) than the blanket business degree, and then advancing to a specialization during your masters work if you choose to keep going. More competitive degrees are in tech and science, at the moment. There is no shortage of business majors, but there is a major shortage of homegrown STEM majors.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:38 PM

1,054 posts, read 921,725 times
I would advise you to try to figure out what you want to do as a career first, if possible, and then decide how to achieve it (school, etc.).

Old 09-01-2017, 12:48 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
A couple of thoughts....

- A generic business major will only check the box that you have a degree. That will get you in the door, but nothing else. There is nothing wrong with this, but don't take on a lot of debt. GA State will be better on a resume outside of Georgia and KSU will be better in the state.
- The harder business degrees like Accounting will make a big difference.
- A law degree is complicated. School rank and prestige matter out in the real world, and GA State won't give you that. Heck, UGA and Emory are just OK once you leave the state. Also, it is predicted that law will be a terrible job market because of AI and too many lawyers.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:52 PM

1,054 posts, read 921,725 times
GSU actually has a really good law program (better national ranking than you would think, particularly the health law program), but yeah, thats a tough career to recommend right now.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:54 PM

81 posts, read 92,143 times
I'm in the undergrad business program at GSU and it's definitely not a mistake. Don't let these people make you think otherwise.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:43 AM

Morning everyone,

Been through a lot in the last two weeks and so I'm sorry I am just getting to this. Will take time to consider everyone's posts and respond when I have the time. Don't like to give bullsh** responses me.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:03 AM

333 posts, read 387,805 times
If I had it to do over again, the decision would start first by answering some interest and personality questions for suggestions based on my specific interests and personality. Then I would probably find a school that offered the subject matter that aligned most closely with those interests. After all, if you do what you love, you'll never "work" a day in your life (Marc Anthony, I think).

I learned about the "Free DISC Profile" at my first post-college employer. It was a bit late by then. Then I would consider the Free Personality Test. Both offer employment field suggestions based on my profiles. The results of both tests aligned perfectly with how I saw myself five years ago and again just this past week.

Of course, these employment fields were only suggestions.

Old 09-03-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Latest rankings place Kennesaw State the best in Georgia for business after Emory.
Interesting. I didn't know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: