Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 09:33 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
^ I'd rep you again if I could, DreamerD!

I've said this before, but all of this is why I would rather drive the Freeway's of L.A. than ours. There is heavy enforcement and camera's are everywhere, and people drive accordingly. I've never seen the wild behavior there that we take for granted.

Wow! That says a lot. I didn't know the driving in Atlanta was that bad. It could be because I never used to drive a lot. I mostly used public transport and when I drove, took the local roads. The more I've driven, the more I've learned how to drive defensively, which I could not imagine not doing because you can't trust these drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 10:52 AM

149 posts, read 182,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaMove View Post
Insane or not, you can still be ticketed in Georgia for doing the speed limit in the left lane.

11 Georgia Laws Driver Don't Know Exist
The "Slow Poke" law is inane.

What's insane is how treating a malfunctioning traffic light as a four way stop managed to make it on the list of "11 traffic laws you didn't know." I really don't want to be on the road with that author.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:28 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3mpy View Post
The "Slow Poke" law is inane.

What's insane is how treating a malfunctioning traffic light as a four way stop managed to make it on the list of "11 traffic laws you didn't know." I really don't want to be on the road with that author.
I've been at too many red flashing stop lights where someone has just gone barreling through. I've also encountered too many drivers coming to an unexpected stop when they see a flashing amber light. It's rather terrifying that these people are on the road.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:25 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaMove View Post
I let them pass, and break the law if they so choose because I am not a sworn officer. What they are doing is not of my concern since I am licensed to drive and be responsible for only one vehicle at a time. If someone else is driving unsafely (perhaps bobbing and weaving between lanes), I get out of their way and give them their room. I can control that. I can't, however, attempt to keep other drivers compliant by driving slowly, even at the posted speed limit, in the far left lane when being passed on the right. I am breaking the law at that point.
Amen!

Old 09-07-2017, 04:02 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
^ I'd rep you again if I could, DreamerD!

I've said this before, but all of this is why I would rather drive the Freeway's of L.A. than ours. There is heavy enforcement and camera's are everywhere, and people drive accordingly. I've never seen the wild behavior there that we take for granted.
We could really use speed cameras here. A few entitled drivers would howl about them, but strict enforcement of traffic laws makes our roads a safer place. Better to arrive a little later than to never arrive at all.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:10 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
We could really use speed cameras here. A few entitled drivers would howl about them, but strict enforcement of traffic laws makes our roads a safer place. Better to arrive a little later than to never arrive at all.
No, thank you. It would lead to the same scandal that happened in Baltimore.

One option that I would not approve too.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:20 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
No, thank you. It would lead to the same scandal that happened in Baltimore.

One option that I would not approve too.
Perhaps LA is doing something right that Baltimore did not.

P.S. Found this: Baltimore speed cameras return under stricter laws - Baltimore Sun

Old 09-08-2017, 11:25 AM

149 posts, read 182,156 times
We don't just need stricter enforcement, we need tougher repercussions. $150.00 bucks for a speeding ticket? People spend more than that on a Saturday night. $1,500.00 for going 10 over? Now you'll get someone's attention.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3mpy View Post
We don't just need stricter enforcement, we need tougher repercussions. $150.00 bucks for a speeding ticket? People spend more than that on a Saturday night. $1,500.00 for going 10 over? Now you'll get someone's attention.
$150 for a speeding ticket? In Georgia? Where? And if people go I think it's 85+ in a 65 mph zone, it's considered super speeding and if I'm wrong, please correct me. Those tickets are well over $700. This woman was telling us how she was going nearer to or going 100 mph and she got a ticket for almost $1,000 after taxes. That was probably at least 6 years ago. I don't even know what they charge now.

$1,500 for going over 10 mph? Really? That's too much. Come on! I think if you are doing 90+ then that's a more appropriate punishment but 10 over really isn't a lot...especially in the left lane.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post

Toll_booth, you know I love you but I fear that if speed cameras are put on the highway, people will stop abruptly whenever they come close to one, thereby increasing the likelihood of an accident. I can't tell you how many times people almost made me run in their back on local roads because they saw a red light camera, panicked and pushed hard on their brakes. The reason why I almost ran into their backs wasn't because I was too close to them but because they would break when the light was yellow when they could have gone. A yellow light tells you to prepare to stop but sometimes when you are that near to a yellow light, it's safer to just keep going. In these situations, it would have been safer for these drivers to just keep going because they were already very near to the light. If they do that on local roads, I'm afraid of what they will do on highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta