Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 12:31 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times

Advertisements

And Boston has a vast commuter rail network (compared to our zero commuter rail), and they have an actual walkable city core. And all that. So I think they deserve it more than Atlanta, and I hope they get HQ2 and that Atlanta learns from it.

Also, in addition to what all you said, in terms of including Canada in the scope, Boston is a better positioned location counterpoint to Seattle, on the North American continent. Boston is relatively near 4 large Canadian cities (Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec), plus of course near New York, Philadelphia, and maybe slightly closer to DC than Atlanta. Definitely better passenger-train-accessible to DC than we are.

Atlanta is a bit closer to Chicago than Boston is, but not by all that much. And Atlanta is definitely closer to Texas and Florida.

But other than that, Boston might be the better strategic geographic location pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
That would mean it has longer days in the summer.
That's true, I forgot about that.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:58 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
And Boston has a vast commuter rail network (compared to our zero commuter rail), and they have an actual walkable city core. And all that. So I think they deserve it more than Atlanta, and I hope they get HQ2 and that Atlanta learns from it.
This is pretty shortsighted. Atlanta landing HQ2 would no doubt go a long way towards expanding transit and increasing walkability. Those things can be effects more often than they can be causes with respect to economic development within the core and I'd say that's probably true when it comes to Amazon's presence in Seattle.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is pretty shortsighted. Atlanta landing HQ2 would no doubt go a long way towards expanding transit and increasing walkability. Those things can be effects more often than they can be causes with respect to economic development within the core and I'd say that's probably true when it comes to Amazon's presence in Seattle.
Oh, give me a freaking break. It's not a matter of one employer potentially changing our huge problems here. That's ridiculous.

Atlanta today, already, has a million more people than Boston.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas

# of commuter rail lines

Boston: 13
Atlanta: 0

# of commuter rail stations:

Boston: 123

# of commuter rail miles:

Boston: 398

# of light rail stations:

Boston: 74

# of BRT stations:

Boston: 22

# of heavy rail stations:

Boston: 51
Atlanta: 38

In terms of Amazon's high desirability for transit connectivity, Boston simply deserves it more. That city and metro has their act together in terms of transit. We can't even figure out how many decades it will be before transit serves of all of ITP, let alone OTP where everyone lives.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:26 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Oh, give me a freaking break. It's not a matter of one employer potentially changing our huge problems here. That's ridiculous.

# of commuter rail lines

# of BRT stations:

In terms of Amazon's high desirability for transit connectivity, Boston simply deserves it more. That city and metro has their act together in terms of transit. We can't even figure out how many decades it will be before transit serves of all of ITP, let alone OTP where everyone lives.
Credibility go bye-bye.

Based on this "logic", Seattle, with no HRT, an LRT system in the early stages of development (16 stations) and a commuter train (13 stations) doesn't deserve Amazon, either.
Transit connectivity isn't the only criterion here, in case you hadn't noticed.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Very shortsighted to think that one employer offering FIFTY-THOUSAND JOBS with a desire to primarily be located in the urban core wouldn't go a long way towards improving these issues. Extremely shortsighted, actually.

Quote:
Spread out over a lot more land. But by all means, discount Boston's core density.

Quote:
And yet if transit connectivity were the only criterion, no other city would deserve it more than New York.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 01-12-2018 at 01:47 PM..

Old 01-12-2018, 01:41 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:

# of commuter rail lines

# of BRT stations:

Boston also got MARTA's sloppy seconds in Beverly Scott

Old 01-12-2018, 01:44 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:

# of commuter rail lines

# of BRT stations:

Boston has been at it almost 80 years longer than Atlanta. It's not that we don't have our act together relative to Boston, we've simply had a lot less time.

Old 01-12-2018, 01:56 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Boston also got MARTA's sloppy seconds in Beverly Scott
Well, well. Guess the MBTA isn't the panacea some believe it to be.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:00 PM

My sight is farther than all of yours. I'm a very stable genius. But by all means, keep making excuses for our lack of regional transit options.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
My sight is farther than all of yours. I'm a very stable genius. But by all means, keep making excuses for our lack of regional transit options.
I'm not making excuses at all, but if you can't see how a huge eco-devo project like this could spur transit expansion as well as increased walkability in the core--as HQ1 has already done for Seattle--then yes you're shortsighted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta