Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 02:20 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times

Advertisements

Of course I can see that. I wasn't talking about that. None of that is related to the point that I'm making. Which is that we've had all this time to do things with regional transit, and nothing has been done. We have a poor situation as it stands now.

I'm not saying it won't get better, and I believe it will get better. I'm saying Boston has their act together with all this stuff a lot better than we do, and if I'm Amazon, I'd probably go with them, for various reasons.

I'll be happy if Atlanta gets it, but I'll also be happy if Atlanta doesn't get it but then comes to a realization of some of the big reasons why, and that spurs a larger conversation that could ultimately end up better for the long term future of the region.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:26 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Of course I can see that. I wasn't talking about that. None of that is related to the point that I'm making. Which is that we've had all this time to do things with regional transit, and nothing has been done. We have a poor situation as it stands now.

I'm not saying it won't get better, and I believe it will get better. I'm saying Boston has their act together with all this stuff a lot better than we do, and if I'm Amazon, I'd probably go with them, for various reasons.

I'll be happy if Atlanta gets it, but I'll also be happy if Atlanta doesn't get it but then comes to a realization of some of the big reasons why, and that spurs a larger conversation that could ultimately end up better for the long term future of the region.
But I think you're missing the bigger picture. I don't think anything would spur that larger conversation that would actually lead to action more than Atlanta landing HQ2.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:29 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But I think you're missing the bigger picture. I don't think anything would spur that larger conversation that would actually lead to action more than Atlanta landing HQ2.
Could be, but either way, that wasn't my point. Of course we'd hugely benefit from landing Amazon HQ2, that's not the question. The question is will we land it. The question is what should Amazon choose, and which city ranks where, in terms of what they rightfully want for their campus. And clearly Atlanta has not made the best planning and infrastructure investment decisions in the past that would have put us closer to the top tier, especially in terms of regional public transportation.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:34 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,579 times
Not that the two of you care, but I think both Mutiny77 and primal tech make good points. They are different, but equally valid. One does not exclude, is better, nor make the other wrong. For this poster they are equal in merit.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:12 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,118 times
Next is Amazon’s short list right?

Old 01-12-2018, 03:51 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Next is Amazon’s short list right?
This "short list" rumor was created by the Charlotte Regional Commission; Amazon has made no announcement regarding such, and the last official statement released by Amazon was the HQ2 RFP announcement on 9/7.

Amazon may keep cities guessing longer on HQ2 shortlist | AL.com

For all we know, Amazon might cut to the chase and announce their choice tomorrow.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:21 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,470,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
In terms of Amazon's high desirability for transit connectivity, Boston simply deserves it more. That city and metro has their act together in terms of transit. We can't even figure out how many decades it will be before transit serves of all of ITP, let alone OTP where everyone lives.
Let's not exaggerate. MBTA is a freaking mess. Huge maintenance backlogs -- which cause continual service delays. The whole system plagued with debt. The commuter rail product doesn't even run through the entire city -- you have to get off and take 2 subway lines to go from north to south on the commuter rail.What kind of rail network has a gap between the north lines and the south lines? Plus a bad snowstorm seems to cripple the system.

For a city that has been operating public transit almost a century longer than Atlanta, they should have their act together far better than this. MBTA may be bigger than MARTA but it isn't necessarily better.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:42 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,751,604 times
I still don't see why they would move 50k jobs to the 5th most expensive US city. If they gonna move there they might as well move to NYC instead

Old 01-12-2018, 06:08 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
I still don't see why they would move 50k jobs to the 5th most expensive US city. If they gonna move there they might as well move to NYC instead
Boston is a much more manageable place to raise a family I would say.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:19 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,202 times
I would prefer Atlanta or Charlotte to get Amazon's HQ over Boston, but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta