Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2018, 11:50 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,967,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
most national broadcasters have to say "Atlanta, Georgia" as their description of a place.
Only if they totally ignore AP style.

Atlanta has long been a city that stands alone in news reporting.

AP stylebook rules for datelines, cities that stand alone - GateHouse Newsroom

I don't know what news outlets you all are watching. Or maybe just an imagined inferiority complex?

Old 01-22-2018, 12:18 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Short answer, nope. Long answer, don't count on it because there are other places called Atlanta in the US. Outside of the Weather Channel, most national broadcasters have to say "Atlanta, Georgia" as their description of a place.
Huh? Atlanta has more than enough name recognition for it to be mentioned without the state and that's exactly how it's mentioned in most cases. There's no other Atlanta in the U.S. that comes close to the name recognition of Atlanta, GA. Saying that "there are other places called Atlanta in the US" makes no sense since there are tons of major cities in the U.S. that share their names with small dots on the map in the middle of nowhere, including Boston, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas, Miami, Phoenix, etc.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:21 PM
bu2

23,856 posts, read 14,634,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Atlanta traffic is not worse than comparable cities.

We and the national media have just created a meme that it is. And that isn't doing the ATL any good.

https://static.tti.tamu.edu/tti.tamu...nal-table2.pdf
I've lived in Dallas and Houston. They've got nothing like the North Atlanta commute. They don't have congestion like DeKalb County or southern Gwinnett, let alone North Fulton and Forsyth.

There are two reasons Atlanta doesn't do worse on some of those measures (and I've seen measures that have Atlanta 3rd worst in the country):
1) There are parts of Atlanta that don't have heavy traffic, notably the I-85 South and I-20 West corridors. Some of these other cities have traffic in every direction. Those light areas lower the average delay.
2) Some measures compare rush hour delay to "free flow." "Free flow" in Atlanta is pretty slow because of the poor arterial network and limited number of freeways.

When you frequently get traffic LA style, i.e. at 10 in the morning or 2 in the afternoon, not just in rush hour, you've got a real problem.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:33 PM
bu2

23,856 posts, read 14,634,641 times
When we moved here from Houston, it did change our lifestyle. Every errand takes longer. A good bit of that is traffic. Some of it is strict zoning and all the cul-de-sac neighborhoods which makes retail further from residential. We don't leave the neighborhood on Friday nights to go eat because of the horrible traffic and extended rush hour. We are less likely to go far on Saturdays. We try to avoid Perimeter Mall, even though it isn't far, because it is always so hard to get there. So we have some negative induced demand in non-rush hour. Rush hour, we still have to get places. And we live ITP pretty close in. I cannot imagine living in Forsyth or Suwanee and having to come into town, whereas, I could do(and have done) Clear Lake and the Woodlands in the Houston area, both about 25 miles from downtown.

New York and Chicago traffic aren't really an issue because a huge % of those people take the train which goes nearly everywhere. Here (and LA) its a real problem.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:55 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,782,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I've lived in Dallas and Houston. They've got nothing like the North Atlanta commute. They don't have congestion like DeKalb County or southern Gwinnett, let alone North Fulton and Forsyth.

There are two reasons Atlanta doesn't do worse on some of those measures (and I've seen measures that have Atlanta 3rd worst in the country):
1) There are parts of Atlanta that don't have heavy traffic, notably the I-85 South and I-20 West corridors. Some of these other cities have traffic in every direction. Those light areas lower the average delay.
2) Some measures compare rush hour delay to "free flow." "Free flow" in Atlanta is pretty slow because of the poor arterial network and limited number of freeways.

When you frequently get traffic LA style, i.e. at 10 in the morning or 2 in the afternoon, not just in rush hour, you've got a real problem.
Disagree. Rush time commute from my spot north of Dallas into the city is on par with a northern Atlanta suburban commute into the city.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:01 PM

10,733 posts, read 13,269,702 times
Quote:
I cannot imagine living in Forsyth or Suwanee and having to come into town, whereas, I could do(and have done) Clear Lake and the Woodlands in the Houston area, both about 25 miles from downtown.
It can be tough at times, you are right. Having said that, the tough part of that drive generally occurs on 85 South as vehicles approach the Cheshirebridge / 400 / Monroe interchanges. While we can have thick traffic out here on Peachtree Parkway / Medlock Bridge and Peachtree Industrial inbound to 285, that traffic does not hold a candle to 85 South from Cheshirebridge, through Midtown and through Downtown.

As for heading to the north end of the Perimeter? Well, I avoid that like I do the plague.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:07 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,630,484 times
Quote:
When we moved here from Houston, it did change our lifestyle. Every errand takes longer. A good bit of that is traffic. Some of it is strict zoning and all the cul-de-sac neighborhoods which makes retail further from residential. We don't leave the neighborhood on Friday nights to go eat because of the horrible traffic and extended rush hour. We are less likely to go far on Saturdays. We try to avoid Perimeter Mall, even though it isn't far, because it is always so hard to get there. So we have some negative induced demand in non-rush hour. Rush hour, we still have to get places. And we live ITP pretty close in. I cannot imagine living in Forsyth or Suwanee and having to come into town, whereas, I could do(and have done) Clear Lake and the Woodlands in the Houston area, both about 25 miles from downtown.

New York and Chicago traffic aren't really an issue because a huge % of those people take the train which goes nearly everywhere. Here (and LA) its a real problem.
My experience is kinda opposite. My lifestyle changed for the better moving here from NYC. Traffic is much more tolerable than New York. My errands take much less time here. In Atlanta its primarily rush-hour traffic but weekends here are a breeze compared to NYC, and contrary to popular belief everybody doesn't use mass transit for everything in NYC. I love having transit options, and used it to commute to work everyday but outside of work I avoided the subway and drove to run errands, dates and just life in general.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:33 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,921,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...ommunity-83864

Amazon Vice President of Global Real Estate and Facilities John Schoettler said the building need connections to the surrounding community

"I get a lot of proposals for new space and a lot of these trophy, very shiny new high-rise structures that, from an architectural perspective, they're beautiful," Schoettler told the PSBJ. "But that’s not who we are."

What Amazon does is outfit its real estate with features that engage the community, such as the architectural design at the Spheres outside its Day 1 office tower in Seattle, a terrarium-like building that has water features.

But the spheres aren't open to the public! lol.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:51 PM

23,310 posts, read 43,771,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
But the spheres aren't open to the public! lol.
The area around it is, however.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...es-urban-core/

Old 01-22-2018, 02:51 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,108,641 times
Yet another list.

Ranked: The Top 20 Cities for Amazon's Next Headquarters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta