Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2018, 12:14 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,261,099 times

Advertisements

Bezos is not progressive, true. But he’s very socially liberal. Liberal and progressive are definitely 2 different things. Like I identify as liberal, but not necessarily progressive.

Georgia is economically conservative, which always appeals to executives. AKA what’s confusingly known in the rest of the world as economically liberal.

If Bezos is a libertarian, then he would like Georgia. Supports that conspiracy theory that he wants to change GA’s social politics, while keeping the business climate. More power to him, if so.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:36 PM

221 posts, read 189,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Most tech people I know or have dealt with consider themselves libertarian.

If Atlanta or Georgia were to become a tech hub, there's no reason to believe it will attract the left leaning workers, and not libertarians or right wingers. Why would it when they can stay in already progressive and far more beautiful cities that offer far more amenities?

Again, I'd love to be wrong, but y'all are making some baseless claims.

Amazon is probably not coming here, and they definitely aren't coming here in an attempt to flip Georgia. One wold have to be VERY progressive to attempt something like that, and Jeff Bezos is not progressive.
It doesn't matter what political affiliation Bezos is. Cities lean blue. As long as Atlanta grows faster relative to the rest of GA, the state will get bluer. Amazon coming is a good bet that the city will grow faster.

Also, Atlanta being a tech hub will attract all tech workers, not just left leaning. However, young tech workers are much more likely to be left leaning, so chances are the influx of tech workers will push the city more left.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:52 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehd View Post
As long as he shuts up this will blow over and everyone will forget about it like they did when the airport lost power. I don't think this really matters to Amazon. They should know politics is being player and I think they are more worried about other things that are important to them like a city with lots of IT workers, a site near transit and other much more important stuff
You're delusional if you really believe this lol. This nonsense with the gay adoption, the crusade against Delta, pushing for tax cuts for gun dealers, etc has all but guaranteed no chance of Amazon coming here. All in the name of some old Republicans supporting those that line their contributions.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:53 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
You're delusional if you really believe this lol. This nonsense with the gay adoption, the crusade against Delta, pushing for tax cuts for gun dealers, etc has all but guaranteed no chance of Amazon coming here. All in the name of some old Republicans supporting those that line their contributions.
What the actual hell? So, they're now pushing for tax breaks for gun and ammunition sales? Jesus H. Tap-Dancing Christ. Well, at least they're being transparent in their obvious loyalty.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:30 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I can answer this.

I know most people on here thinks that the entire country only focus on Georgia news and not their news. Believe it or not there are bigger news stories going on across the country that are getting their attention and not this. There is going to be a huge snow/wind storm in the NE this weekend with 60+ mph winds this weekend. There has been bad flooding from Texas to the KY because of storms that have been hanging over that portion of the country for like a week. Believe it or not but other states have bigger issues going on . A huge financial crisis is facing Illinois. Georgia isn't the only state pushing religious liberty laws. The moral of the story is most people don't care about this. They are more interested in Trump news, gun laws, weather this weekend in the NE, etc, etc. Generally speaking nobody outside of Georgia is paying attention to this

Old 03-01-2018, 07:48 PM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
I was just thinking. This NRA thing might even be a positive for us, depending on how Amazon sees it. In a way, it sort of highlights how companies in the ATL can be different from some of the more rural areas.

Anohter factor is that a lot of people love to think of the South as different and quirky. This sort of underlines that as well.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:12 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I was just thinking. This NRA thing might even be a positive for us, depending on how Amazon sees it. In a way, it sort of highlights how companies in the ATL can be different from some of the more rural areas.

Anohter factor is that a lot of people love to think of the South as different and quirky. This sort of underlines that as well.
Yeaaahhhh...that's like deliberately cutting off a toe and bragging about your quirky foot!

Old 03-02-2018, 06:07 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:

If Atlanta or Georgia were to become a tech hub, there's no reason to believe it will attract the left leaning workers, and not libertarians or right wingers. Why would it when they can stay in already progressive and far more beautiful cities that offer far more amenities?

Amazon is probably not coming here, and they definitely aren't coming here in an attempt to flip Georgia. One wold have to be VERY progressive to attempt something like that, and Jeff Bezos is not progressive.
How are the claims baseless? Every major tech hub out there has only gotten more liberal as the tech workforce, and the city/metro as a whole, has grown; I've already shown how this is what happened in Seattle as Amazon grew. It wouldn't be any different if HQ2 came to Atlanta, although I think the chances of that happening are greatly diminished now.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:23 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:

Libertarians are always the first people to tell you they are Libertarians.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:24 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
Does anyone really think the crazy republican stuff is a surprise to Amazon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta