Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2018, 06:27 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Libertarians are always the first people to tell you they are Libertarians.
Normally in response to some random and wrongheaded accusation regarding their alleged political leanings.
If not for being pigeonholed as a Republican for an opinion I offered on an isolated issue, I doubt the subject would even come up.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:00 AM

815 posts, read 708,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehd View Post
As long as he shuts up this will blow over and everyone will forget about it like they did when the airport lost power. I don't think this really matters to Amazon. They should know politics is being player and I think they are more worried about other things that are important to them like a city with lots of IT workers, a site near transit and other much more important stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Something tells me that Mr Bezos and his executive team have a much longer, not to mention bigger view of where Amazon is going. Something like this is transient, of the political cloth and much as the gnat is to an elephant's butt.

Willie said it best, Much ado about nothing.
I agree with you both to an extent. If they were seriously considering Atlanta before, the recent GOP antics won't stop them. They've done stuff like this before but always end up course correcting before doing irrevocable damage. Not that it doesn't hurt, but I just think that happens more gradually rather than in a kneejerk fashion.

Also, I think any corporation would look at the state's long-term political climate, and GA turning blue is imminent and inevitable, given dramatic demographic shifts.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:08 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,486 times
https://politics.myajc.com/news/stat...PMtepI0yEw7DM/

“I already felt it would be a terrible cultural mismatch for a company with a Seattle culture to locate anywhere in the South. This nails it,” said Jon Gabrielsen, who runs a Smyrna-based business consultancy that specializes in market research for growing companies.

“Georgia and Alabama don’t have a clue how foreign and disturbing these antics play to the rest of the nation outside the Deep South — and how it can impact their ability to recruit businesses,” Gabrielsen said.

Larry Gellerstedt, the CEO of Cousins Properties, said it’s “naive” to think the Gold Dome debate won’t influence Amazon’s search.

“We’re going to start punishing companies by stances that they take about their company values? These things get noticed,” he said. “They get absolutely included in the dialogue for competing cities and states to use.”

Old 03-02-2018, 07:54 AM

815 posts, read 708,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post

“I already felt it would be a terrible cultural mismatch for a company with a Seattle culture to locate anywhere in the South. This nails it,” said Jon Gabrielsen, who runs a Smyrna-based business consultancy that specializes in market research for growing companies.

“Georgia and Alabama don’t have a clue how foreign and disturbing these antics play to the rest of the nation outside the Deep South — and how it can impact their ability to recruit businesses,” Gabrielsen said.

Larry Gellerstedt, the CEO of Cousins Properties, said it’s “naive” to think the Gold Dome debate won’t influence Amazon’s search.

“We’re going to start punishing companies by stances that they take about their company values? These things get noticed,” he said. “They get absolutely included in the dialogue for competing cities and states to use.”
"I don't think it helps us," Gov. Nathan Deal conceded during a press conference where he lashed out at election-year "antics" that made Georgia the butt of jokes on late-night television.

"But I would say this to Amazon and to anyone else who wants to look at our state and see what has happened in the General Assembly," Deal said. "Look at our record."

I agree with Gov. Deal. Our GOP didn't just start doing this kind of stuff yesterday. They've been doing it for nearly 20 years now. But when push comes to shove, somehow the position palatable to the business community always wins out. Remember when the Confederate battle flag was incorporated in our state flag a few years back? Quickly nixed when the NCAA threatened to pull out of GA for Final Four games despite the loud howls of the conservative base. And that was before GA was anywhere close to having the demographics to pull off Democratic victories. It's all a dog-and-pony show to keep their base placated.

Now if it seems that GOP establishment has lost control over the whole charade, then I think you would start to see businesses leaving. But what's happening now is nothing new--other than the fact that the Democratic/moderate GOP voters are starting to sense their strength and flex their muscle.

So I don't think the danger for the GOP is in businesses leaving, but in awaking the sleeping tiger (GA Democratic voters). If they go too far, maybe we could see some big Democratic upsets in this state. If it happened in AL, it certainly could happen here.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:59 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Yeaaahhhh...that's like deliberately cutting off a toe and bragging about your quirky foot!
I know, I know. Just trying to think of a way to make us less of a laughingstock.

I'm sure all our competitors are up in their respective Laughing Rooms.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:35 AM

1,057 posts, read 867,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post

Should be comparing Seattle to Atlanta, not Seattle to GA (as a cultural comparison) I get his opinion, but Georgia is also home to the third most fortunate 500 companies. It’s all about the business environment, which Cagle decided to attack. Money talks. The movie industry didn’t move here because they align culturally with Georgia.

Whoever is advising Cagle is giving horrible advise.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:22 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,461 times
Amazon is considering ATL because of it's low COL and desirable lifestyle. That's it. Amazon has never been a conscientious company, and won't start to be with awarding their HQ2.

They might grandstand after making the decision for some free positive publicity, but it's just grandstanding.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:26 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Amazon is considering ATL because of it's low COL and desirable lifestyle. That's it. Amazon has never been a conscientious company, and won't start to be with awarding their HQ2.

They might grandstand after making the decision for some free positive publicity, but it's just grandstanding.
And the workforce...and the airport...and the universities.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:21 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
"But I would say this to Amazon and to anyone else who wants to look at our state and see what has happened in the General Assembly," Deal said. "Look at our record."
Yes and our record now includes a $40 million dollar punishment enacted by the legislature for a company's political values being different than they would prefer.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:25 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Yes and our record now includes a $40 million dollar punishment enacted by the legislature for a company's political values being different than they would prefer.
Gov. Deal said he would seek a way to get Delta their tax cut and I think it will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta