Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 07:46 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
It may not be a homer article but this quote

“However, it is in the bottom half for educational attainment — just 29 percent of adults have a bachelor’s degree or higher. ” Make no sense especially when the type of people needed for those jobs are probably people with bachelors degrees or higher in other cities that are not technically astute. Furthermore you can’t ignore cities that have schools like GT.
The issue with that CNBC article is that that 29% figure is for the entire state. Metro Atlanta's educational attainment rate is 37.7% and for the city of Atlanta, it's 50.5%.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:57 PM

296 posts, read 220,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The issue with that CNBC article is that that 29% figure is for the entire state. Metro Atlanta's educational attainment rate is 37.7% and for the city of Atlanta, it's 50.5%.
GA’s 6th Congressional District is the 6th best educated congressional district in the US. 56% have college degrees. More than the districts that contain downtown Seattle (including Amazon HQ), San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Boston’s northern areas (including Cambridge), and several of the NoVA and MD suburbs of DC.

To claim education levels are a downside for Atlanta metro is to show great ignorance about the metro area.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:50 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
GA’s 6th Congressional District is the 6th best educated congressional district in the US. 56% have college degrees. More than the districts that contain downtown Seattle (including Amazon HQ), San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Boston’s northern areas (including Cambridge), and several of the NoVA and MD suburbs of DC.

To claim education levels are a downside for Atlanta metro is to show great ignorance about the metro area.
It's just slice of the metro area. According to the link above, Northern Virginia would be a better choice.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:55 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
I certainly believe that Atlanta has and can attract sufficient folks to more than satisfy Amazon’s talent requirement. This really is a non-issue at the end of the day.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:42 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I certainly believe that Atlanta has and can attract sufficient folks to more than satisfy Amazon’s talent requirement. This really is a non-issue at the end of the day.
I think its the key issue for Amazon. They are adding a second HQ for two reasons-1) getting enough talent to Seattle; and 2) overtaxing Seattle's infrastructure.

Atlanta definitely passes 1) and is big enough to handle 2). But some places do better on the talent issue. If that were the sole issue, they would go to New York or Boston. So while Atlanta does well enough, its not a non-issue.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:11 AM

296 posts, read 220,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
It's just slice of the metro area. According to the link above, Northern Virginia would be a better choice.
I was not suggesting that Atlanta is the best-educated area that Amazon is considering. I was specifically responding to the notion that Atlanta was a poorly-educated area that was insufficient for Amazon's purposes.

NoVA is the best-educated region outside of Manhattan, but Amazon won't necessarily pick the single best-educated place. They just need somewhere that is adequately educated. Atlanta metro is well above that threshold.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:01 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Based on this I guess Raleigh is out of the running. I read an article recently about the difficult time companies are having getting IT talent. I'm not sure why there's such a shortage, but the article made it sound like it was dire.

So I think No.Va. is Atlanta's main competition at this point.
I think Atlanta falls in the roughly half the cities on the list that match the second criteria. Some of these would be crushed in housing and traffic by adding 50,000 Amazon employees in a relatively short time frame. And they don't have the airports.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:30 PM

651 posts, read 475,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I think its the key issue for Amazon. They are adding a second HQ for two reasons-1) getting enough talent to Seattle; and 2) overtaxing Seattle's infrastructure.

Atlanta definitely passes 1) and is big enough to handle 2). But some places do better on the talent issue. If that were the sole issue, they would go to New York or Boston. So while Atlanta does well enough, its not a non-issue.
If you admit that Atlanta does well enough then it’s literally a non-issue in the context of Atlanta. Pretty sure that was Ansley’s point.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:26 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Based on this I guess Raleigh is out of the running. I read an article recently about the difficult time companies are having getting IT talent. I'm not sure why there's such a shortage, but the article made it sound like it was dire.
I'd like to read that article because the Triangle has a highly-educated population and lots of tech workers. It may be that there's a shortage of workers but given the high quality of life in Raleigh, attracting tech talent isn't such an issue (although I'm pretty sure it loses its fair share of tech grads to DC, NYC, Boston, and the Bay Area).

Old 07-13-2018, 03:06 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
If you admit that Atlanta does well enough then it’s literally a non-issue in the context of Atlanta. Pretty sure that was Ansley’s point.
Not at all.

If all other things are equal, they go to Boston or New York instead of Atlanta.

So its not a non-issue. Atlanta gets a passing grade so they don't get eliminated, but they don't necessarily win. They have to beat some of these other cities in other ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta