Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:18 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times

Advertisements

Atlanta is doing more than fine. No need to spend more tax payer money in a bidding war to get them.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:27 AM

149 posts, read 163,149 times
I think the top contenders are:

NY (Bezos has an apartment there; financial capital of the world; unparalleled access to Europe and Middle East; lots of tech talent)

Boston (great tech talent)

Atlanta, Dallas, and Chicago will offer enormous incentives.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:29 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldbloom View Post
I think the top contenders are:

NY (Bezos has an apartment there; financial capital of the world; unparalleled access to Europe and Middle East; lots of tech talent)

Boston (great tech talent)

Atlanta, Dallas, and Chicago will offer enormous incentives.
I think the costs of business are too high in NY and Boston, and Boston's tech talent is of a different sort (e.g., biotech) than what you find in Seattle.

I think Atlanta, a Texas metro, and Chicago would be the top contenders.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:31 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
With That much current and future Square Footage needed, It will have to be ether a Green Field Project, Or a Huge Tear Down.

Since I have not been in a mall in 10? years, How is the North Point Mall Doing?

Many be it would speed Marta getting the Red Line Extension done in less then a lifetime. ... After all North Fulton as been paying the Marta tax since 1971 for sub/standard bus service.

But I think if its built in the Atlanta Area it will be in Clayton county along the Marta (To be Built) rail routes as a tear down of one of the under used mall along the route.

Where I think it will be Built? Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Airport. Amazon just signed a longterm ?lease/purchase? for 900+ acres for a air hub there. A good middle of the US location, Has a good labor force, Low cost housing, Good tax environment in both OH and KY. Both States that are looking for Mid Level Corporate jobs to replace the blue & mine collar jobs they are losing.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:32 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If Amazon builds in North Fulton they should help fund transit out there.
Amazon wants immediate transit access for their initial phase in 2019, which would rule out anything north of Perimeter Center.

37,881 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
That RFP just seethes with arrogance. I'm not sure I'd want them. They will insist on a lot. October 19th is a very short timeline.

Atlanta is in a good position. Logically, with a west coast office, eastern time zone sites would have an advantage over central time zone like Chicago, Dallas or Houston. And they mention direct flights to DC and NY, so it doesn't seem like they are interested in the high cost northeast. That airport access also gives Atlanta a big advantage over Charlotte and Raleigh. So Atlanta vs. Miami?
Miami typically isn't in the running for eco devo projects like these.

Charlotte's airport is competitive though and they are expanding light rail, so they could be in contention.

bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
With That much current and future Square Footage needed, It will have to be ether a Green Field Project, Or a Huge Tear Down.

Since I have not been in a mall in 10? years, How is the North Point Mall Doing?

Many be it would speed Marta getting the Red Line Extension done in less then a lifetime. ... After all North Fulton as been paying the Marta tax since 1971 for sub/standard bus service.

But I think if its built in the Atlanta Area it will be in Clayton county along the Marta (To be Built) rail routes as a tear down of one of the under used mall along the route.

Where I think it will be Built? Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Airport. Amazon just signed a longterm ?lease/purchase? for 900+ acres for a air hub there. A good middle of the US location, Has a good labor force, Low cost housing, Good tax environment in both OH and KY. Both States that are looking for Mid Level Corporate jobs to replace the blue & mine collar jobs they are losing.
The tech talent and transit access are not as strong there. Columbus might be better for Ohio.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:40 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
The tech talent aspect may or may not be a consideration. While I'm sure it's preferred, but to what extent?

This is a unique get - this is field of dreams scenario. Build that HQ and talent will come.

It seems like an eastern location would make sense to balance the west coast - why go only as far as Dallas?

Atlanta will surely be considered. Boston will be too. I think that DC will be in the mix, along with Charlotte.
Dark horse cities will be Pittsburgh (COL coupled with amenities and tech) and already mentioned Cincy (or somewhere else in OH due to low COL/cost coupled with decent amenities in any of Ohio's "3 C's").

This will be costly for the "winner" city and state.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:47 AM

149 posts, read 163,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think the costs of business are too high in NY and Boston, and Boston's tech talent is of a different sort (e.g., biotech) than what you find in Seattle.

I think Atlanta, a Texas metro, and Chicago would be the top contenders.
Amazon has huge connections to NY. NY is building a huge new business district called the Hudson Yards, which already has pre- leased around 5m sf of new office space.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:49 AM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
What about the old GM plant site in Doraville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta