Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2017, 01:48 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I have never once in my life blamed the leadership or management of MARTA for our lack of transit in Metro Atlanta. Its being useless or next to useless for most people, is fact, but is not its fault. I thought that was clear since I specifically note that a billion times every time I talk about this stuff. Yet you take offense.

MARTA is useful for the small % who do use it every day. Great. That's good.

It's useless for a lot people who live far OTP, or who don't work at a major job center. That's at least understandable.

But it's also useless for the vast majority of people who live in the city and ITP and in MARTA-served counties. That's not good.

No need to get defensive when I am just stating the obvious here, which is backed by the statistics and just simple observation. Everyone drives everywhere every day around here. Generally speaking. Only way we're going to get more people to ride MARTA is if we vastly expand MARTA, and vastly expand regional transit connections in general, in any way we can. Also if parking requirements are looked at in the city and such.

Don't confuse that with someone who blames MARTA's leadership for not doing the right things or whatever. That's a very tiny part of the issue at most. The huge part of the issue is lack of outside funding and support for MARTA, and suburban counties not allowing MARTA to operate there. Just the whole general situation with transit opposition in GA. (And opposition to raising taxes in order to properly fund the services we need, etc.)
Are just focusing on MARTA rail?

Old 10-16-2017, 07:19 PM

53 posts, read 40,706 times
The latest from wsbtv

Georgia prepares Amazon HQ2 pitch; $5B in investments, 50K jobs on the line | WSB-TV

Quote:
Among the sites being talked about as potential locations for a new Amazon headquarters are a site near the MARTA station in Dunwoody, along with the old GM plant site in Doraville, which also has access to MARTA and some heavy railroad lines.

State Rep. Tom Taylor has both of those sites in his district.

"We'd love to see them here," Taylor said. "We've got a lot of diverse sites, not just here in DeKalb. You've got Fort McPherson, some other sites they're looking at. A $5 billion investment, 50,000 jobs -- that's huge, and DeKalb really needs that shot in the arm to move forward".
So far it looks like four potential sites mentioned in the article and newscast report:
MARTA station in Dunwoody
Old GM plant site in Doraville
Fort McPherson
The Gulch

Hopefully we can hear about the details of the pitch once everything has been submitted.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:25 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,946,364 times
Those are all great sites!

I forgot about the GM plant in Doraville. Unlimited options there.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:38 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post

I forgot about the GM plant in Doraville. Unlimited options there.
I would think the Dekalb Airport would hinder plans at that site.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:08 PM

508 posts, read 1,087,055 times
^ My gut feeling is that the fractured nature of the Atlanta region will be its undoing in putting forth a bid.

There's only one option on that list that works from any of the major angles: centrally located, transit-accessible, amenities for workers, walkable/bikeable, and that has the potential for massive benefit to the region (and therefore Amazon).

The gulch. All other options are non-starters.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I would think the Dekalb Airport would hinder plans at that site.
Interesting. I assume the problem would be a height restriction.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
There's only one option on that list that works from any of the major angles: centrally located, transit-accessible, amenities for workers, walkable/bikeable, and that has the potential for massive benefit to the region (and therefore Amazon).

The gulch.
Their potential workforce is clustered around 400, and therefore they will consider places like Dunwoody. Read their RFP. They leave a lot of room for a suburban location.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:25 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
The article already alludes to where the pitch is going
Quote:
State Rep. Tom Taylor has both of those sites in his district.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:50 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Their potential workforce is clustered around 400, and therefore they will consider places like Dunwoody. Read their RFP. They leave a lot of room for a suburban location.
I think their mention of the possibility of a suburban location is much like their mention of a baseline headquarters metro population of at least 1 million. It's pretty easy to see what Amazon's preferences are.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:32 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think their mention of the possibility of a suburban location is much like their mention of a baseline headquarters metro population of at least 1 million. It's pretty easy to see what Amazon's preferences are.
I have to agree. I'm quite familiar with what they have done in Seattle, so I just can't see any suburban location as a fit for their corporate culture.
But, I've been surprised before...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta