Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 07:14 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,483,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Prove it.... source ...

Even then, you'd have to prove it wasn't a part of a greater plan to to put crews faster in Florida and for Georgia to take in crews from other states in a more expeditious pace to the benefit of both Florida and Georgia.

Despite all these really bizarre negative opinions y'all are coming up with Georgia power has been re-establishing power at the rate of several 100,000 customers/day. That is fairly responsive.

That is astonishing when they are fully crewed, much less when they sent a large chunk of their crews to Florida.

Truth is... this was a widespread problem on a level larger than we are use to. I'm amazed at the sour grapes we are seeing when the problem was so widespread it involved nearly 40% of the customer base not having power.
Why would I tell you who the staffer is to compromise their job with GPC? You can believe what you want, but why don't you call the management of the lineman division and ask how many crews are in FL yourself?

GPC is foolish to send their linemen and crews to another state when they were going to affected here as well. Sour grapes, nope. I've been through much worse weather caused widespread power outages in other areas and saw a better response because those utilities didn't loan their staffers elsewhere while anticipating others to cover their self-created shortages on their home turf. More like competent and stupidity of leadership and more weak as wet toilet paper excuses of a privately held, inefficient, public utility...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 07:26 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
I'll back-up what was said about GPC sending crews to Florida. And, yes, the plan was for GPC to provide assistance in Florida while being assisted on their home turf by utility crews from other states. Storm damage was expected in Georgia. However, it pales in comparison to the damage that was expected in Florida. And, so, even though GPC crews are needed to restore power to 37% of customers in their own service territory, there's a point at which some crews can be 'loaned' to Florida to restore power to what is assuredly a much higher percentage of customers in the dark.

The question of "one tree down", and why couldn't they just fix that one thing? As described elsewhere in this thread, repairing faults in lines is prioritized by how many customers are downstream of a fault. Also, faults are more than just fallen trees. Just because it looks like the only point along the line where there's obvious damage doesn't mean there isn't a short further downstream.
And until the late shift west, Georgia was going to get the dry side of the storm. Only Savannah was going to get hit hard.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:24 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Why would I tell you who the staffer is to compromise their job with GPC? You can believe what you want, but why don't you call the management of the lineman division and ask how many crews are in FL yourself?

GPC is foolish to send their linemen and crews to another state when they were going to affected here as well. Sour grapes, nope. I've been through much worse weather caused widespread power outages in other areas and saw a better response because those utilities didn't loan their staffers elsewhere while anticipating others to cover their self-created shortages on their home turf. More like competent and stupidity of leadership and more weak as wet toilet paper excuses of a privately held, inefficient, public utility...

That's the nature of disaster response and trying to position assets beforehand, with information that is constantly changing. The decision to send crews south had to be made days in advance. At that point, it's easier to leave them there and backfill from other states who can get here faster, and let them keep working where they already are. For some context, there are over 20,000 people working to restore power in Florida. There are about 6,000 in Georgia.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:46 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:

The problem is Jero

Is you don't bring enough relevant information, give us the ability to ask question, and you could be just re-itterating rumors/heresay of others... and in a manner that can't be questioned.

We don't know the guy in the company, his position, what he really knows/doesn't know... It's a thin argument.

GPC has done a relatively good job for most. This disaster was widespread and they were getting power back up at rates that exceeded 100,000/day.

What have you been through that was more widespread then this, but they did a better job? Time to examine the numbers....

Old 09-14-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
The problem is Jero

Is you don't bring enough relevant information, give us the ability to ask question, and you could be just re-itterating rumors/heresay of others... and in a manner that can't be questioned.

We don't know the guy in the company, his position, what he really knows/doesn't know... It's a thin argument.

GPC has done a relatively good job for most. This disaster was widespread and they were getting power back up at rates that exceeded 100,000/day.

What have you been through that was more widespread then this, but they did a better job? Time to examine the numbers....
It's "reiterating" rumors/hearsay, LMAO... Okay. Yeah, someone else posted and reiterated the same thing about a chunk of the "storm ready" GPC crews being sent out of state.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
It's "reiterating" rumors/hearsay, LMAO... Okay. Yeah, someone else posted and reiterated the same thing about a chunk of the "storm ready" GPC crews being sent out of state.
And yet you don't seem to be prepared to use this mysterious inside source that is all-knowing of the inner workings to have a discussion on what crews are here, aren't, and who else arrived...

You ignored that. So you took rumor from one thing you heard from a mystery person to us, ignored all else.

All so you could insult GPC not not miraculously restoring power back to 37% of their total system of an extremely widespread storm in just a day or two.

But wait, there is more.....

I'm still waiting to hear about the numbers from these other incidents you went through that were better managed and they got power restored to 37% of their system in a day or two afterwards.....

That remains a mystery too....

Old 09-15-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
And yet you don't seem to be prepared to use this mysterious inside source that is all-knowing of the inner workings to have a discussion on what crews are here, aren't, and who else arrived...

You ignored that. So you took rumor from one thing you heard from a mystery person to us, ignored all else.

All so you could insult GPC not not miraculously restoring power back to 37% of their total system of an extremely widespread storm in just a day or two.

But wait, there is more.....

I'm still waiting to hear about the numbers from these other incidents you went through that were better managed and they got power restored to 37% of their system in a day or two afterwards.....

That remains a mystery too....
LMAO. Okay, I'll just ignore you instead because this is just redundant and pointless...

Old 09-15-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
LMAO. Okay, I'll just ignore you instead because this is just redundant and pointless...
"LMAO." You keep trying to squirm from this....

You made claims, while making some rather harsh lofty arguments... now back them up. I'm just calling you on it. I guess you can ignore, but if you're going to make a lofty, harsh argument, then be prepared to back up your claims.

You also are conveniently saying things like "I have been through far worse" with a "better response," yet continually conveniently not saying what to not put it up to review....

That mixed with that... 'I heard this,' but I can not say, can't answer any questions, can't open up to any critical review, but you can use it to make rather harsh criticisms...

I'm sorry, but its a bad way to form arguments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta