Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:28 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times

Advertisements

Rumor has it that surrounding school systems are making plans to "shut the doors" to avoid an influx of kids from Clayton (take that however you want to). Not sure exactly how you would be able to do that in any way, unless your school was already designated as "overcrowded". Most of the overcrowding problems are with North metro schools, not on the southside, so I'm not sure they could use that as an excuse in most nearby systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 09:15 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
A proportion of the voters of Clayton County brought this on themselves by the choices they've made during recent elections. I know some of you are probably saying...there he goes again with that choices and responsibility mantra, but it's true. From Sheriff to District Attorney to the School Board, the folks in Clayton have elected incompetent and corrupt officials. They are now paying the piper for those bad choices and failure to get involved and act.

The sad shame is that innocent children who want to better themselves and go to college or get jobs will be handicapped, not only by their poor education, but by this whole mess. The other innocent victims are those homeowners who voted against these clowns who have destroyed Clayton County, and now find their property values taking an even greater hit, as if the crime and existing problems weren't enough.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:13 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcola110 View Post
Here let me make it easy for you to understanding; accreditation = state funding, no accreditation=no state funding.
So, no more state funding because of some third party group saying stuff? Sounds illegal to me. Kids in this country are required to be in school if they are under the age of 16. How are they supposed to do that if schools don't have funding?

Old 08-28-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
You're kidding, right?...omg!...
No i'm not. I've actually never heard of this term until now. I'm a young person and nothing like this has happened in 40+ years so it shouldn't come as a suprise. I also have no kids. Can someone please explain to me exactly what this whole accreditation stuff is? I'm confused.

Last edited by g-man430; 08-28-2008 at 10:26 PM..

Old 08-28-2008, 10:36 PM

Nevermind. I found it: FAQ About Accreditation Oh and thanks for making me look like an idiot honeyinhouston. I sure do appreciate you not answering my questions.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:36 PM

481 posts, read 2,822,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
So, no more state funding because of some third party group saying stuff? Sounds illegal to me. Kids in this country are required to be in school if they are under the age of 16. How are they supposed to do that if schools don't have funding?
Is it in the Constitution that kids are required to be in school?

No, it's not. There's nothing about education.

All education laws are just normal federal, state, and municipal laws, which are a lot more complicated and mutable than "kids are supposed to be in school." I don't think something this big and public could happen if it was illegal.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
Is it in the Constitution that kids are required to be in school?

No, it's not. There's nothing about education.

All education laws are just normal federal, state, and municipal laws, which are a lot more complicated and mutable than "kids are supposed to be in school." I don't think something this big and public could happen if it was illegal.
Where I live, kids aren't allowed to drop out of school until they are 16 years old. Oh and it's illegal. Why do you think all of those school board members resigned?

Old 08-29-2008, 03:32 AM

235 posts, read 838,493 times
Home values in Clayton county have dropped already more than 30% in some areas. We know some of that was already due to high foreclosure rates, slowness in the market and the school accreditation loss will drive real estate prices down even more. I don't think I could even give away my house: no one would want it.

I pay a mortgage on a house in Clayton and it is worth about half what I paid for it in 02. My biggest mistake was buying here and thinking things would turn around. I suspect Clayton will further deteriorate.

I have a Kindergarten-aged child and I refused to enroll him in the Clayton county schools. I opted for a small private school after applying to several private schools in the area. My original intention was to homeschool in the early years, but due to unforseen financial difficulty, I have to continue to work so homeschooling is not an option at this time for our family. I make average wages and putting my child in a private school is expensive, but I see it as very much worth it after dealing with the ineptitude first-hand with administrators in Clayton County.

Because I was unsure of the private school situation at the last minute, I tried to enroll my child in a better performing public school outside of my residential district in Clayton and they would not allow me to make that choice. They allow kids to go to schools outside their district, but not one cannot choose another school over another due to better test scores. One can enroll his child in another school due to divorce or daycare issues, but NOT for academic reasons. With bureaucratic nonsense like this of not having a choice, the Clayton County school system will not have my son enrolled at all.

As already mentioned, most of this sorriness lies at the feet of the Clayton county voter. There are good people in Clayton, but too many people didn't care and now this is the result. It is now a big mess that may not be overcome in the school system.

It is unfortunate that some of the high school aged children who are near graduation are suffering because of moronic school board members who tried to micromanage school employees, got school system jobs for their friends and relatives and disregarded everyone else due to their selfish actions.

Maybe in an extreme last ditch effort, if the Clayton County School System continues to fail at getting accreditation after 3 years at most - (they are given according to the articles I have read) perhaps parts of Clayton county and its school system can be absorbed into the surrounding counties. I suspect that this it not an realistic option, but just a idea I have. One less county in this state would be a good thing as Georgia has more counties than any other state in the US, except that of Texas.

Last edited by mmenomen; 08-29-2008 at 04:00 AM..

Old 08-29-2008, 03:53 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
"In the aftermath of Thursday’s news that Clayton County schools will lose their accreditation, a scheduled school board meeting turned into an opportunity for some 200 parents and students to voice their frustration and anger."

There are over 50,000 students in Clayton. Regardless of when, where, or how a meeting was held, never more than a few hundred people attended.

Can you imagine if this had happened in Fulton County, Gwinnett or Cobb? (Not that the parents would have let it get that far.) Even the mere whiff of a problem would bring out 1000s of parents. I don't understand the passivity of the parents, but I see the same thing in DeKalb with its crummy schools. So maybe I do get it.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:43 AM

171 posts, read 664,048 times
Quote:
Where I live, kids aren't allowed to drop out of school until they are 16 years old. Oh and it's illegal. Why do you think all of those school board members resigned?
Children are required to be in full attendance at school depending on County and/or State laws. For people that are receiving public assistance, say for example, if their child is absent from school so many days, the benefits their receiving get sancation. Yes, kids are required to be in school, there's no other reason they should be absent unless sick or emergency arise. Some parents don't care nor are supervising what their kids are doing during the day.

Quote:
Kids are still required to go to school, certain programs get cut because the State doesn't give that school funds to cover for those programs. I hope that gives you a better understanding. Research what school programs are covered because of accreditation, than you'll have a much better understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta