Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 04:21 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times

Advertisements

I never remember Doraville being that disgusting but I guess it's because as soon as I got off the train, I went to use Gwinnett transit. Loitering is a problem though. I can easily see people loitering to figure out who to mug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 05:03 PM

20 posts, read 18,237 times
Doraville Station is one of the better stations to be honest. Pretty clean to.

All public transit elevators pretty much smell like urine. Because that's where the homeless people urinate. That's not a unique problem at Doraville.

I agree that MARTA and the police could do a much better job addressing the loitering that takes place at certain stations. While at the same time, once inside those MARTA gates you're pretty much okay.

So general tip, stay away from transit bathroom and elevators. Avoid sitting in corner seats by the ends of the train cars. Be very firm with response when addressing any bum. Firm, not rude.

And again, Doraville Station is actually very clean.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:01 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Yes, the urine stench is awefull. Why can't folks just go find a tree?

Old 09-14-2017, 07:18 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Weren't they piloting a urine-detection system in some of the Midtown area elevators? Any progress with that?

Old 09-14-2017, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,148 times
This is Atlanta. There is no civic pride. Just the opposite. Half the roads are crooked and cracked, and curbs all busted. This is town who's citizens just don't care.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:28 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times
This thread made my eyes roll so hard they're stuck there now. Thanks a lot.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:48 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
It probably doesn't matter much where your eyes are if your head is planted that firmly in the sand.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:33 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Mine too. I use Doraville quite often and it is not anywhere near as bad as some people are claiming. The only real downside of this station is its poor planning and layout as a park-and-ride station. Compare it to the convenience of North Springs and you'll see what I mean.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:29 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
I feel stuck in the middle on this one.

I think there are some good points here.

I use this station sometimes when I am getting picked up by certain people and this station does have its failing points compared to others, particularly end of line stations.

Doraville isn't the 'hood. It isn't particularly nice and well off either. It is just an industrial working class suburban community

Beyond that I agree with most things. The elevator always smells of urine. Yes, I know this is common of all MARTA stations and many subways, however its a legit complaint for someone to make seeing it for the first time. That elevator, in particular, is always bad. I always wished there was an escalator going down, so I could easily bring my luggage with me.

The thing that greatly affected the look and feel of this station for me was back when they put in the new fare-gate system. The extra fencing around the bus bays, so people would tap into the rail station, made things feel much more closed in. I think this is, partly, why you will find some more complaints on people loitering or misbehaving. It is harder to spread out a small bit on the lower level and feels more caged off and enclosed. When that station and bus bay was originally designed, they were not leaving room for something like that from an aesthetic view.

I also find the walk to the kiss and ride lot/pick up location to be slightly long and uphill. At Kensington I can just wait at the curb.

I tend to like the feel of Kensington and Dunwoody stations slightly better. While they have a similar problem, the stations are double-sided and multi-level. It creates more space and openness.

Now the type of people you see at this station depends on the time of day a bit. There are some white collar commuters during commute hours only. However, this station is not conveniently directly tied to a freeway. I would say there are more local bus and people that live in the immediate area compared to North Springs. Although, both have a large AT&T parking deck aimed at collecting white collar commuters.

One flaw Doraville has for it picking up commuters is the freeway access isn't great. I'm sure it was originally intended to be. You have to navigate a couple local streets, but the big flaw is the on/off ramp to I-85 north dumps you into the cars going from I-285 E to I-85N and that bottlenecks particularly bad. It also tends to dump commuters where the traffic really starts, so there isn't much benefit for most auto-commuters using the station. It might be easier to get to Peacthree Industrial, though. I haven't ever been that way.

Had the NE line had one last station that curved towards I-85 and had a better direct on/off connection to I-85N, you'd probably see far more white collar professionals. I know some people that prefer to go down to Chamblee, although that station has its own series of pros cons.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:47 PM

31 posts, read 28,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Same, I honestly thought this was a troll thread until I read the replies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta