Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 05:50 PM

94 posts, read 391,868 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in a teaching position here... will be visiting the school soon as well as a possible interview. From the research I've done it seems to be a pretty good school with a diverse population and a growing Latino community. This is very much like the school I teach at now and have been very happy with.

Any info that can be shared about Dunwoody I would appreciate, positive or negative.

Please please please... if you have anything negative to say about certain groups of people then do not reply to this post. I'm not interested in your ignorance. I only want info on the school itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 08:30 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Davis View Post
I'm interested in a teaching position here... will be visiting the school soon as well as a possible interview. From the research I've done it seems to be a pretty good school with a diverse population and a growing Latino community. This is very much like the school I teach at now and have been very happy with.

Any info that can be shared about Dunwoody I would appreciate, positive or negative.

Please please please... if you have anything negative to say about certain groups of people then do not reply to this post. I'm not interested in your ignorance. I only want info on the school itself.

Good school! You'll be happy. I student-taught at Dunwoody High's feeder--Peachtree Middle School.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:42 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
I put my daughter in DHS circa 2002...what a mess...pulled her out immediately and placed her in private school. No regrets.
The biggest problem was sexual harrassment.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:54 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
Dunwoody has a principal who is, in my opinion, first and foremost a teachers' principal. So for you that should be great. For the parents, maybe not so much.

Right now they have are on the block schedule. I can't remember if you have shared your specialty, but if you are a science or math teacher, you might hate it. The parents (a huge percentage) hate the block... many of the teachers like it. I suspect that issue will gain momentum next year if no changes are made.

As an observer, I can understand why she wants to support her teachers, but frankly, most parents have no choice, and her teachers can teach in other DCSS schools that have the block if they love it that much.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:56 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I put my daughter in DHS circa 2002...what a mess...pulled her out immediately and placed her in private school. No regrets.
The biggest problem was sexual harrassment.
Decatur,

did you live in Dunwoody or admin transfer in?

I think that Dunwoody, in many ways, like other N. DeKalb schools is really two schools. If your child isn't in the top classes, they have a totally different experience than those who are.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Decatur,

did you live in Dunwoody or admin transfer in?

I think that Dunwoody, in many ways, like other N. DeKalb schools is really two schools. If your child isn't in the top classes, they have a totally different experience than those who are.
I lived there...moved to Decatur last year.
Actually, I liked Dunwoody (just had too much house and wanted to downscale)...just didn't like the school.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:59 AM

401 posts, read 1,732,598 times
Check out Decatur High too - It's a little different than Dunwoody as far as demographics - not many Hispanics - but still equally diverse overall - as far as minorities/non minorities. The principal is fabulous. They also have the block but only in grades 10-12. The superintendent in Decatur is also awesome.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:59 AM

94 posts, read 391,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I lived there...moved to Decatur last year.
Actually, I liked Dunwoody (just had too much house and wanted to downscale)...just didn't like the school.
What didn't you like about the school specifically?

Old 03-16-2008, 10:21 AM

I felt like the school didn't really have a handle on discipline (odd, considering that there was an AVP whose only job was school security). Shortly after my daughter was enrolled there, she encountered a male student who dedicated his life to making hers miserable, Apparently, it was well-known that he was doing this to other girls (complaints had been filed), and yet he was still in the school system. When we would go to the authorities, their general attitude made us feel like they would like us to just go away.
The whole episode culminated in the boy punching my daughter in the face when she she refused to give up her seat in the computer lab to him. His defense was that she had allegedly called him the n-word first(an absolute lie). It took our hiring an attorney to finally get him expelled. I removed my daughter immediately.

So, that is my particular beef with DHS.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:35 AM

401 posts, read 1,732,598 times
Default Whoa!

Wow! That stinks. You seem like you were very patient. I think I would have had the boy arrested for assault in addition to getting him kicked out.

Wherever she is - I hope things are going super well for her. No one deserves that sort of garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: