Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 06:00 PM

42 posts, read 141,963 times

Advertisements

Howdy, all.

My wife and I are moving from Boston down to Atlanta, and I'll be working down near Peachtree Center so we're looking to buy a house within a 30 minutes commute of there for about $200k -225k. Basically, somewhere within the perimeter but without an absurd degree of crime would be nice. Coming from downtown boston, we're not looking for no crime, just somewhere where my wife and child will feel comfortable hanging out in the hood during the day while I'm gone.

We took a car trip and checked out some of the neighborhoods suggested on this forum recently and thought that Mableton, Westview, West End, and Grant Park were all unacceptable for one reason or the other, but we really liked a lot of North, East, North-east Atlanta, like Candler Park, Lake Claire, Decatur, North Decatur, Briarcliff, basically any neighborhood near I-85 within the perimeter near there.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether that price range could find a 3/1.5 or 3/2 (doesn't have to be big) somewhere in that quadrant of Atlanta? How about good realty offices to work with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 06:12 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Are you looking for a new house?

From your post I assume that you know something of the area you have identified--older subdivisions --many renovated and some new housing.
There might be a few in your price range along LaVista Rd and in Tucker.

I like the Cofer Park Subdivision--older late 40's/50's/60's stable community.

The Livsey Elementary school district might be another place to research.
I think it's off Chamblee Tucker--between Embry Hills and Tucker.

Another poster mentioned a revitalizing of subdivisions along Northcrest/Pleasantdale Rd.

From what I have read the other areas you mentioned have few homes in your price range. $250/300,000 and up--older homes. New homes--McMansions--the signs say $500,000, 600,000 and up. There are quite a few of those.

Other posters will have more specific FYI.
hth

bhs

Old 03-15-2008, 06:29 PM

42 posts, read 141,963 times
Thanks for the info. You're correct in assuming that I'm not interested in new housing. In fact, I think many (not all) of the new homes in those areas are ass ugly McMansions that put all the square footage on the inside of the home just to give you a postage stamp yard right next to your neighbor (this accurately expresses how I felt about many areas of Mableton and Smyrna too).

Something older, a one story bungalow ideally (or just anything non-ranchery), would be nice.

BTW, schools are not an issue. Our children will all be educated privately in Kal-el's Fortress of Solitude using crystals from Krypton.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:49 PM

LOL--

But, as I have read many times here, you want your house to be located in a good school district/attendance area.

Certain you have probably heard about the loss of accreditation of the Clayton County schools. That will affect the economy and quality of life in that county for quite some time.

If there is any 'way'--look for housing in Peachtree Corners/Gwinnett.
In the vicinity of historic Norcross--Holcomb Bridge Rd.

I'd take a good look at Tucker. Revitalization going on.
Tucker, GA>>>
MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Tucker, GA snapshot

Old 03-15-2008, 07:44 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times
You could find an unrenovated 3/1.5 in my neighborhood (University Heights/Medlock Park) in your price range. It's located between North Druid Hills and North Decatur just north of the City of Decatur limits (so lower unincorporated DeKalb property taxes) and just about 2 miles east of Emory University. 1950s brick ranches. Most have been renovated at least somewhat, and these command higher prices, but it's still possible to find some for under $225k.

I don't work with buyers myself, but I'd be happy to provide you with a referral to a good agent if you're interested. Just PM me if you want my help.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:01 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Would you consider a townhome? I suspect that that would open your options a lot more.

How old is your child? If they are near school-age and you plan to homeschool, you might want to look around for homeschooling groups first, to make sure you have any nearby. Once upon a time the vast majority of homeschoolers live way outside the perimeter, but isn't true anymore.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:07 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
I would suggest Briarcliff Heights, which basically lies between Briarcliff, Clairmont and N Druid Hills Rds. It's such a deal for the location, and has a very diverse group of residents. It's also in the Sagamore Elementary School district, which is a plus.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:36 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post

I'd take a good look at Tucker. Revitalization going on.
Tucker, GA>>>
MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Tucker, GA snapshot
Evansdale Elementary in Tucker is considered one of the best in the county.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I would suggest Briarcliff Heights, which basically lies between Briarcliff, Clairmont and N Druid Hills Rds. It's such a deal for the location, and has a very diverse group of residents. It's also in the Sagamore Elementary School district, which is a plus.
The houses seem to be priced a bit higher. $300,000 and up and up and up.
Which is why I suggested Tucker. I also really like 'Ashford Park' or whatever the subdivision across from PDK is called. He might look there for his price range.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:01 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Yeah, Ashford Park and parts of Drew Valley might work too. There is a bit of infill/teardown/mcmansionism starting to happen through here though.

I might also suggest the City of Chamblee and immediate environs also. If you look hard, you can really find a steal here and there. Great part of town too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta