Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 05:14 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Agreed. If responding with a firearm officers are trained to aim for center of mass to maximize the likelihood of neutralizing the threat and that is sound. However, I certainly think a taser would have been more appropriate here.
I don't think college police should really have guns at all. Tazers would work 99% of the time.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:16 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
That is crazy. Why didn't they use non-lethal takedown methods like pepper spray, tasers, bean bag shooters, nightsticks, etc.?

How about using some poles and a net? This person didn't seem very dangerous.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:20 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
I don't think college police should really have guns at all. Tazers would work 99% of the time.
Why shouldn't they have guns? I could say the same about police because honestly, in the same situation, I have seen police shoot people with guns instead of use a taser. Obviously they should be using lethal force only when absolutely necessary.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:35 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That is crazy. Why didn't they use non-lethal takedown methods like pepper spray, tasers, bean bag shooters, nightsticks, etc.?

Pepper spray is close contact, within five feet, batons even closer. Use of either with an armed individual would have put the officers at risk.

There are scenario protocols for TASER use, this may not have met that. Possibly because the guy was armed.

Bean bags aren't typically carried in patrol cars or as standard weapons. They're more for crowd control in any event.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:43 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Sure that is a great idea......remember Boston bombers killed an MIT cop (Sean Collier). Pretty sure that guy thought being an MIT cop was an easy gig, didn't expect to meet a terrorist that day!

Old 09-17-2017, 06:45 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Because this is America. We shoot to kill first, and ask questions later. Dead men can't sue.

And no, I'm not being serious.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:46 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Kid brought a knife to a gun fight and lost! If I had to choose between a cop going home to his family after work or this kid not making it home after a few bad decisions then I would say the cops made the correct call. Knives are no joke, they will pierce a kevlar vest.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:51 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
When a cop tells you to drop a weapon you drop a weapon. Period.

Loss of life is regrettable but this is an open and shut case.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:20 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Pepper spray is close contact, within five feet, batons even closer. Use of either with an armed individual would have put the officers at risk.

There are scenario protocols for TASER use, this may not have met that. Possibly because the guy was armed.

Bean bags aren't typically carried in patrol cars or as standard weapons. They're more for crowd control in any event.
And depending on the type of knife, they can be thrown with lethal effect.

https://youtu.be/_octQfKaHjw?t=1m42s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
When a cop tells you to drop a weapon you drop a weapon. Period.

Loss of life is regrettable but this is an open and shut case.
Agree, and that rule applies to "everyone". I'll leave it at that.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:46 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Georgia tech has a high suicide rate and have embarked on a campaign to end suicide on campus). Based on posts on Ga Tech's FB post about the incident, their police force had been trained to descalate when possible and have been able to do it before, even when the student in the midst of the breakdown was armed. Unfortunately, it didn't happen that way in this case. :9 This seems to be a clear case of suicide by cop.

Utterly heartbreaking. My thoughts are with their friends and family, the police who responded, and the kids who watched from dorm windows.

Ga Tech and other elite schools are high stakes, high pressure environments. College mental health services are so often exceptionally understaffed and underfunded. If you have college students in your life, especially at a school like Tech, please make sure mental health is something you talk about. Let your students know they can come to you for help, no judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta