Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 08:37 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
From that video, it didn't look like he rushed anyone, he just walked to the side off camera. A taser would have been appropriate. Hope his mom sues the pants off Tech and takes several million.
Such a case, if any lawyer would take it, would be thrown out of court. Not to mention you are judging off of this one video. No way you have all sides of the story.

Been in any courtrooms lately? No matter; this one would never even make it there. Any attorney worth her/his salt would drag up more on this student who wouldn't drop a lethal weapon upon police command and the mom would not only not sue, but would then doubt her parenting skills.

Tragic all the way around.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:53 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Damn shame that this has happened. Even bigger shame that this happened to a non-gender-binary person. Reminds me of a video I saw a few years ago about a Black man in St. Louis (not Michael Brown) who was shot by the police after repeated failure to drop his knife.

Though people who confront officers with melee weapons need to understand that they are putting their lives in danger, there has got to be a better effort to train officers to deal with civilians who snap like this. Other developed nations do not continue to struggle with this problem. We do.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:41 PM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Such a case, if any lawyer would take it, would be thrown out of court. Not to mention you are judging off of this one video. No way you have all sides of the story.

Been in any courtrooms lately? No matter; this one would never even make it there. Any attorney worth her/his salt would drag up more on this student who wouldn't drop a lethal weapon upon police command and the mom would not only not sue, but would then doubt her parenting skills.

According to the news reports the family is represented by Chris Stewart, whois is one of the top lawyers in town for these kinds of cases. In my opinion Ga. Tech is in a very weak position to defend the behaviour of this officer.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:21 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Damn shame that this has happened. Even bigger shame that this happened to a non-gender-binary person. Reminds me of a video I saw a few years ago about a Black man in St. Louis (not Michael Brown) who was shot by the police after repeated failure to drop his knife.

Though people who confront officers with melee weapons need to understand that they are putting their lives in danger, there has got to be a better effort to train officers to deal with civilians who snap like this. Other developed nations do not continue to struggle with this problem. We do.
The militarism of our police has become a serious problem. There definitely could have been a better way to handle this. There are plenty of nonlethal alternatives to incapacitate people who are not an immediate threat. This guy was probably drunk or high, not on a serious mission to kill police officers.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:36 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times
Feel bad for everyone involved, the young man, his parents, his peers, and the officers. The young man seemed to be going through some mental or emotional issues, and was armed, and acting erratically. My guess, is that he only wanted to hurt himself. But, my guess wouldn't be much comfort if an officer or a citizen were hurt by the young man.

Still, I would hope that an officer would have more options when in that situation, but I really could only guess what those options might be.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:03 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,527 times
Cops are trained to shoot to stop the threat, he stopped the threat.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:36 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The militarism of our police has become a serious problem. There definitely could have been a better way to handle this. There are plenty of nonlethal alternatives to incapacitate people who are not an immediate threat. This guy was probably drunk or high, not on a serious mission to kill police officers.
It didn't start with him, but Trump recently made sure that the problem of a militarized police would get worse.

Trump revives program that provides police with military equipment - Chicago Tribune

Because clearly, civilians need to be treated as enemy combatants when they get a little uppity. /snark

Old 09-18-2017, 06:36 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
In Boston, during a verbal dispute, an unarmed teenage boy was forcefully hit in the head with the butt of a rifle by local law enforcement.

Word of the incident spread quickly and a large number of locals gathered in the street where the incident had happened to protest almost immediately.

As the crowd grew, angry protesters shouted slogans; some business owners, fearing property damage, shut their doors. The local authorities called for uniformed backup; backup came, well armed.
The assembly was deemed "unlawful," and the crowd was ordered to disperse. The protesters began to throw snowballs in response.

"In response, multiple uniformed law enforcers fired on the crowd. The first protester to die was a black man and the authorities justified the shooting by claiming that they "feared for their lives".

The year was 1770, the authorities were British soldiers, the protest would later be called the Boston Massacre, and the first protester killed in that conflict was Crispus Attucks, a black man considered by many to be a heroic American patriot and the first casualty of the American Revolution.

If, while reading this story, you found yourself siding with the authorities and thinking that the protesters should have dispersed when ordered, and/or that the protesters armed with snowballs and sticks deserved to be met with deadly force by armed law enforcement, be aware that you chose the side of the tyrant King George III not the American patriots.

And ponder that.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:42 AM

7,357 posts, read 6,526,600 times
I don't. Throwing snowballs is a far different story than a knife.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:17 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
People's memories are surprisingly faulty. An unretouched video is very damning, and golden evidence in any case.

Quote:

I'm sure there is a lawyer somewhere who would take the case. Tech does have legions of lawyers to defend it, but I think the video will make it tough for Tech. They might settle out of court because Tech would hate the publicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta