Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 08:35 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Who’d have thunk that an Atlanta neighborhood would ever log a Bike Score above “very bikeable” 80? Probably not many Atlantans, including the Lycra-wearing variety.

With the Atlanta Beltline’s Eastside Trail on one flank, now joined by Edgewood and Moreland avenue bikes lanes, Inman Park is practically covered in bicycling infrastructure and just might have set the local bar with a score of 81.

(snip)

Overall, the city’s Bike Score jumped from 43 to “somewhat bikeable” 50 between 2013 and 2015, where it currently remains, although curiously so.

Anecdotally, evidence that Atlanta is warming to—or at least becoming tolerant of, in the case of pro-driving-lanes crowds—its status as a growing bike hub is becoming unavoidable.
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/9/18...-city-beltline

Opinions? How bike-friendly does Atlanta seem compared to other cities in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 08:42 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/9/18...-city-beltline

Opinions? How bike-friendly does Atlanta seem compared to other cities in the US?
It's got a long way to go, but we're certainly going. Relay has grown incredibly from when it started, and I see plenty of people using it whenever I'm in town. The bike lanes are much better than where they were, but need more range, more cohesion, and better enforcement. The PATHs are coming along nicely, and the BeltLine is growing slowly, but now steadily with a large section about to open and a shorter section soon to follow with another expansion in the pipe and designs underway.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:12 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
I'm not sure I'd call it a bike-friendly city, meaning the city as a whole. But there have definitely been huge improvements in bike infrastructure and general feeling of safety in certain parts of the city. Personally, I stick to the older areas of the city with more street grid - cars tend to go slower, there are more stop signs/red lights, and more alternatives to main streets. This also happens to be where the city seems to be focusing most of its resources on, and where a lot more people are out on the streets on bikes. Basically this keeps me locked in the area the is midtown on the north, all of the east side (Virginia Highland, L5P, Inman Park, O4W), south to Grant Park/Ormewood Park. I've only ever biked West End/Castleberry Hill on the west side, and those are pretty friendly too. I will not risk my life in Buckhead on a bike, and the West Midtown area still worries me, but I know they're working to improve that area now.

I have biked everyday for 5 years now for my commute, and in that time, there have been some massive changes. I went from entirely on road, to almost entirely bike lane/cycle track. Also in that time, I think drivers in the areas I bike have gotten a lot more used to seeing bikes on the road, and for the most part, are much more accepting of it. I never let my guard down, I take the lane when necessary, and I'm paying attention to what everybody is doing, but I feel much safer than I used to.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:26 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I'm not sure I'd call it a bike-friendly city, meaning the city as a whole. But there have definitely been huge improvements in bike infrastructure and general feeling of safety in certain parts of the city. Personally, I stick to the older areas of the city with more street grid - cars tend to go slower, there are more stop signs/red lights, and more alternatives to main streets. This also happens to be where the city seems to be focusing most of its resources on, and where a lot more people are out on the streets on bikes. Basically this keeps me locked in the area the is midtown on the north, all of the east side (Virginia Highland, L5P, Inman Park, O4W), south to Grant Park/Ormewood Park. I've only ever biked West End/Castleberry Hill on the west side, and those are pretty friendly too. I will not risk my life in Buckhead on a bike, and the West Midtown area still worries me, but I know they're working to improve that area now.

I have biked everyday for 5 years now for my commute, and in that time, there have been some massive changes. I went from entirely on road, to almost entirely bike lane/cycle track. Also in that time, I think drivers in the areas I bike have gotten a lot more used to seeing bikes on the road, and for the most part, are much more accepting of it. I never let my guard down, I take the lane when necessary, and I'm paying attention to what everybody is doing, but I feel much safer than I used to.
Don't forget Kirkwood, ABC's 2016 Bicycle Friendly Neighborhood of the Year!
I'd say the bicycle friendly areas stretch from Northside Dr, east to city limits and then includes Decatur, south to Glenwood Dr; East Atlanta, Ormewood Park, Southside BeltLine to West End.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:31 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,300 times
I remember riding my bikes in Atlanta. Any bike trail, quickly ran out. And I've had my share of very close passes on my left by MARTA buses. I've even been driven off the road by cars. My experiences have led me to believe Atlanta is bike hostile.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:03 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
I've started biking around pretty regularly. The trails are better than you'd think, once you start to build a mental map of where bike lanes and tracks run and which ones it makes sense to use. There are still a bunch of spots where a high traffic main road is unavoidable for a few blocks.

The beltline desperately needs a bike track. imo they should build an 8' wide bike track and just punt on the future streetcar for now. I actively avoid riding on the beltline anytime out of working hours. It's just painfully slow and dangerous; I feel better on the roads honestly.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:05 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Don't forget Kirkwood, ABC's 2016 Bicycle Friendly Neighborhood of the Year!
I'd say the bicycle friendly areas stretch from Northside Dr, east to city limits and then includes Decatur, south to Glenwood Dr; East Atlanta, Ormewood Park, Southside BeltLine to West End.
Yes, you're right. I don't head over that way very often, but the times I have it is an easy ride.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:50 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I've started biking around pretty regularly. The trails are better than you'd think, once you start to build a mental map of where bike lanes and tracks run and which ones it makes sense to use. There are still a bunch of spots where a high traffic main road is unavoidable for a few blocks.

The beltline desperately needs a bike track. imo they should build an 8' wide bike track and just punt on the future streetcar for now. I actively avoid riding on the beltline anytime out of working hours. It's just painfully slow and dangerous; I feel better on the roads honestly.
That would be terrible, especially since if you were to widen the existing trail "for now" would mean "never" regarding the implementation of transit.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post

The BeltLine is a victim of it's own success, but it is a multiuse trail not bicycle track. Transit ROW should be preserved because w/o transit the project is not it's full potential as not everyone can walk or ride a bicycle that distance. We are concentrating density around the corridor because of the transit.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Midtown Alliance’s data show that ridership on the 10th Street two-way bike lanes had ballooned by 225 percent between installation in September 2013 and April this year.

In other words, the 851 cyclists who previously used the lanes connecting Midtown’s core to the Beltline has grown to an average of 2,770 daily, per the study.

Elsewhere, daily use of dedicated bike lanes on 5th Street through Tech Square went up by 95 percent. Even Peachtree Street, with no protected lanes for two-wheel pedalers, has seen a 30-percent increase

https://www.midtownatl.com/about/new...idtown-atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta