Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 02:55 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,735 times

Advertisements

At least drivers don't have to force open their doors (just kidding)!!!

Hopefully, all riders understand there will be problems at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 03:05 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Yeah, it's definitely easy to have control while in this:
You think all of those cars are trapped without power, AC and cell signal like the MARTA captives were?

Old 09-28-2017, 05:10 PM

1,180 posts, read 984,482 times
I will still continue to use MARTA. Crap happens just like when 85 collapsed. Much can be learned from this experience so that the situations like this can be handled better. Communication is key and I appreciate MARTA reaching out for the experiences of its passengers. Atlanta needs a better MARTA.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:39 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
Communication is key and I appreciate MARTA reaching out for the experiences of its passengers.
That's a funny point, because I was going to argue that the total lack of communication is the most inexcusable part of all of this. Yes, stuff does happen, but you don't just leave people in a train with no lights or heat for over an hour without explaining what is going on.

No wonder they forced the doors open. I would have done the same thing. Next time, I bet they lock the doors only to learn that people will smash windows. I wouldn't stay in that sweltering sweatbox hoping that someone somewhere figures out the problem and fixes it. Screw that.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:55 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Lack of any kind of emergency response plan seems to be par for the course at MARTA. One time with a problem at the airport, I watched a never-ending parade of southbound trains head straight into the mess, just for all of them to get caught up, and no northbound service for something like an hour. Another time, I listened on the radio as it took over 20 minutes to get a disabled southbound train out of the way at Lindbergh while screwing up both northbound and southbound service.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:58 PM

81 posts, read 92,251 times
I was stuck at Peachtree Center Station last night from this. It was annoying as hell. Plus, why is it so damn hot in that station?! It's been like this since I started school in August.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:57 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Man, this doesn't look good for MARTA. The occasional 5-minute delay is a hassle, but this? Especially on a night when it was packed with United fans? Not good. Hope that they can step up their maintenance efforts.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:41 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
It was annoying as hell. Plus, why is it so damn hot in that station?! It's been like this since I started school in August.
Long-time posters on this board will know that for several years I have said that MARTA should figure out how to have climate controlled platforms. Seems like it would be especially easy at Peachtree Center with all that natural insulation. As to why it isn't just naturally cool all the way down there....I have no idea. Seems like natural geothermal cooling should keep it mild at all times.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:57 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times
It is so, so fundamentally messed up that MARTA's response to this complete failure is to blame the riders who made use of the emergency exit after being stuck on a train for an hour and a half, after the air conditioning and lights had failed. Who in the world wouldn't evacuate at that point? But for some reason, our transit agency thinks it's appropriate to highlight that those who evacuated made the situation last longer than it should have.

Is that true? Probably so. Could any reasonable person blame someone for evacuating a train that's completely shut down and gone dark in the middle of a tunnel under the city? I don't think so.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:55 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
That kind of incident makes Georgia look more like Italy than like Japan. I got stuck once on NYE (2015-16) on the North Line between Lindbergh and Buckhead. I don't remember how long it was, but maybe less than 30 min. It's things like that that make me not blame Cobb and Gwinett for not wanting MARTA. That is why I would prefer having privatized rail companies running the commuter lines to the suburbs. I hate seeing tax dollars going to waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta