Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:16 AM

401 posts, read 1,732,483 times

Advertisements

NCLB is the WORST thing that has ever happened to public education. I have to think that it was done on purpose to destroy public schools because I just couldn't go on living if I believed that Bush, Kennedy and their pals were actually stupid enough to think NCLB was a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 08:41 AM

340 posts, read 1,576,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post
NCLB is the WORST thing that has ever happened to public education. I have to think that it was done on purpose to destroy public schools because I just couldn't go on living if I believed that Bush, Kennedy and their pals were actually stupid enough to think NCLB was a good idea.
I agree with you. It's a pure political slogan, lacking basic logic. Every kid is different and gifts from God are different. We have limited resouces in public educational system and if we use more resouces to drag those who are slower due to various reasons, other kids have to go slower to wait for them. IMO, good schooling is not something everybody can do it. The alternative is to lower the bar and everybody passes it. If we set some standards required globely, there are some people who can surpass them and others who can't meet them. So forget about NCLB that you think will help your kids. If you want your kids to be good, you have to invest your time and money.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:21 PM

16,682 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post

You are so correct. NCLB was initiated to systematically destroy public education.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,053 times
That MAY be true, but you can make NCLB work for you - if you do YOUR homework!

Old 09-18-2009, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,053 times
Default High School Math Track

I am a college math teacher here in Georgia. And I have a ninth grader in Advanved Placement Math. My recommendation as an instructor is MAKE SURE THAT YOUR CHILD'S FOUNDATION IS SOLID. There is no point in taking an Accelerated Program if your child is going to have to go back and solidify concepts once she reaches college. There is NO HURRY!

Old 09-18-2009, 06:00 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaMath View Post
I am a college math teacher here in Georgia. And I have a ninth grader in Advanved Placement Math. My recommendation as an instructor is MAKE SURE THAT YOUR CHILD'S FOUNDATION IS SOLID. There is no point in taking an Accelerated Program if your child is going to have to go back and solidify concepts once she reaches college. There is NO HURRY!
GeorgiaMath, is your ninth grader really in Advanced Placement Math? That would mean one of the college-level courses defined by the College Board, such as Calculus A/B, Calculus B/C or Statistics.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:47 AM

45 posts, read 136,650 times
My family, which includes a 10th grader, will be moving to Atlanta in a few months. I've been talking to lastminutemom about the new math curriculum but this thread is really making me anxious. Can anyone recommend a good tutor for my son? This will be his first introduction to GA math - and, in the middle of the year!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:12 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdtransplant View Post
My family, which includes a 10th grader, will be moving to Atlanta in a few months. I've been talking to lastminutemom about the new math curriculum but this thread is really making me anxious. Can anyone recommend a good tutor for my son? This will be his first introduction to GA math - and, in the middle of the year!
Mdtransplant, don't let this old thread make you panicky. It's tough enough moving a high schooler. My kid is a 10th-grader too, and she's continuing to do well on the accelerated track of the new curriculum. So this gives me a very different impression than you may be getting from others.

I suggest you keep in mind that fundamentally, high school math is high school math. The core of the new curriculum is the same old algebra and geometry skills that people have been learning for decades if not hundreds of years. There's just no way around having to learn this stuff in high school. What may present a challenge in transitioning from another state is that the material may be presented in a bit of a different order - so that your son might know say, more geometry but less algebra (or vice-versa) than Georgia 10th-graders. Tutoring help might be needed in that kind of situation.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:11 AM

45 posts, read 136,650 times
RRD thanks for the feedback. Can you recommend a good tutor or tell me where to look? My son scores really high on aptitude tests but he's very lazy in the classroom. As a result of the test scores, teacher/counselors always steer him toward honors courses. I'm afraid he may shut down if he finds that he's behind and not understanding the curriculum. Having a reliable tuturing option may put us ahead of the curve.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:15 AM

225 posts, read 714,674 times
In our system a student can move down but not up without taking a bridge course over the summer. So, my 8th grade students who wish to move out of the Accelerated track can move down a level from Accelerated and take regular Math 2 the next year. The advantage is that students can continue without the rushed pace of the Accelerated program and still be on track to take Calculus senior year. Is moving into regular Math 2 not an option? I think a lot of the issue with the accelerated course is the pace and not the students' readiness for the material.

Last edited by shalc; 09-18-2009 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta