Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Final Stretch, Where to go?
Alpharetta = Older home that needs a lot of work 3 50.00%
Cumming = Newer but much farther out 2 33.33%
Acworth = Wait, what? 0 0%
Newnan = Are you kidding? 0 0%
Peachtree City = Too many choices… 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 07:39 AM

93 posts, read 123,189 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am on the final stretch for looking for a home and have narrowed it down to two places and surrounding areas.

Alpharetta or Cumming

Also need to know which spot has the best schools for example Lambert vs Chattahoochee.

Basically is it coming down to this, I have a great job right now that I could be with until I retirement to where I drive all over Georgia. Staying in this current job we have found a home that we love in the mid threes right near Lake Lanier. However it does not have two things…

Close to Lake Lanier

-No Basement
-Little Far

However, there is a house that needs a lot of work in Alpharetta around the same price range that we are looking at very closely.

House in Alpharetta

-Needs a lot of work

Here is my problem. The Alpharetta location is next to everything. Parks, greenway, northpoint mall, Avalon, etc and the main point is that if my company was to ever get SOLD I could find another job no problem in the surrounding areas like Duluth, Norcross, etc...

If I don’t run scared and trust in my job I can get a practically new house right next to Lake Lanier. However, the house does not have a basement. We could become boaters though and buy a boat and keep it at an Marina. We are not boaters now but could be. We do like it.

WHAT I DON’T UNDERSTAND

Why is this decision not perfectly clear to me? We can afford a really nice house but do not want to spend a lot because we would rather go on trips and live our lives. That is why we are looking for deals as well.

Heck, even Newnan, Peachtree City and Acworth keep popping up in my head.

I might just buy something in Acworth and forget this whole mess.

Also I have been reading threads where Alpharetta has a lot of stuck up people? Is this true? I do not want to be around a bunch of stuck up people.

Possible Neighborhoods:

Three Chimneys
Montvale
The Pines at Kimball Bridge
Seven Oaks
Deerlake

Many more like these in the surrounding areas

Well if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. Please leave all of your thoughts below and help me make this decision.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:55 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needspractice View Post
Also I have been reading threads where Alpharetta has a lot of stuck up people? Is this true? I do not want to be around a bunch of stuck up people.
All the folks I've met from Alpharetta are solid, down to earth people who are as nice as can be.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:22 AM

337 posts, read 311,164 times
If your company gets sold and you need to find new employment, there's no telling where you'll end up working in metro Atlanta. And traffic can kill any quality of life you gain. You could buy a place in Cumming or Alpharetta or Acworth now, and later end up having to commute to Peachtree City to work, or vice verce.

Here's a thought: look into buying a house that you love, but that would also make a nice rental, so that if/when current company gets sold and you need to find a new job, you can then move closer to new job and won't be restricted by the location of this house.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:23 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
The only thing I can say is beware of throwing too much money into a house and not having the value cover it. If you live there forever and are happy then fine. But if you have to sell you might not see your money you put into fixing it come back.
I know someone living in Cumming farther north by the lake. Beautiful home. I think being far away from most of the amenities bothers him though.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:25 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
3 Words. ASK. YOUR. WIFE.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
All the folks I've met from Alpharetta are solid, down to earth people who are as nice as can be.
Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
If your company gets sold and you need to find new employment, there's no telling where you'll end up working in metro Atlanta. And traffic can kill any quality of life you gain. You could buy a place in Cumming or Alpharetta or Acworth now, and later end up having to commute to Peachtree City to work, or vice verce.

Here's a thought: look into buying a house that you love, but that would also make a nice rental, so that if/when current company gets sold and you need to find a new job, you can then move closer to new job and won't be restricted by the location of this house.
That is an extremely solid point and a great idea. Thanks for the quick response. I could just rent it out and not worry about it all. Buy a place where my new job and forget all of these problematic decisions. I really like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
The only thing I can say is beware of throwing too much money into a house and not having the value cover it. If you live there forever and are happy then fine. But if you have to sell you might not see your money you put into fixing it come back.
I know someone living in Cumming farther north by the lake. Beautiful home. I think being far away from most of the amenities bothers him though.
I agree with this 100%. I have been seriously shopping for about 2-3 months now and have seen houses overpriced in neighborhoods that can't hold the value. I have also seen a lot of people trying to take advantage of the Alpharretta Market and sell there house with no repairs done, basically a dump for like 400K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
3 Words. ASK. YOUR. WIFE.
Thank you, she is well, very well informed in eagerly involved.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:56 AM

Update:

I think I just had a revelation.

I am going to completely switch gears and look at Legacy Park and have my child go to NCCS in Kennesaw.

I also want to go Northpoint Community Church. Which actually there is one in Woodstock and it exactly 20 minutes away. This is fine. 10 min from School and 20 min from Church. This is like living in Three Chimneys and going to Northpoint in Alparretta or in Brownsbridge. However you can get much more home for your money and have a great Christian School Option. Disagree?

Another great feature I was thinking of was being right near Laker Lanier. I would get this as well however with Lake Allatoona.

In regards to future jobs, I will be on the 75 corridor. This is not the end of the world and very doable. I could commute unless it ends up being something very far away.

Another thing to consider is Jefferson GA. I could be on the better side of town in regards to jobs and they have great schools however, there are not many communities like Legacy Park.

What do you think?

Old 10-01-2017, 10:03 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Sounds like you are in the fortunate predicament of having to choose among many good options.

That's one of the great things about living in the ATL!

Last edited by arjay57; 10-01-2017 at 11:03 AM..

Old 10-01-2017, 03:03 PM

347 posts, read 380,090 times
Well, here's my opinion on the matter.

Alpharetta is pretty central relatively speaking. You make it sound like you work in IT - so, commutes to Cobb or Gwinnett would virtually be a reverse commute, living close to work in Alpharetta is a perk, the area is still increasing in value - and if you get a job in Atlanta, well its a straight shot down 400 as well.

How much work does the house need?

Old 10-01-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sounds like you are in the fortunate predicament of having to choose among many good options.

That's one of the great things about living in the ATL!

Yes. Working all over the state gives me that option, however it can also be a curse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
Well, here's my opinion on the matter.

Alpharetta is pretty central relatively speaking. You make it sound like you work in IT - so, commutes to Cobb or Gwinnett would virtually be a reverse commute, living close to work in Alpharetta is a perk, the area is still increasing in value - and if you get a job in Atlanta, well its a straight shot down 400 as well.

How much work does the house need?
True. However, the house probably needs around 160K worth of renovations. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta