Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 09:03 PM

14 posts, read 21,320 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've read through the relocation threads and sifted through the school threads. Specifically, I'm looking for the pros and cons of King Springs Elementary vs. Nickajack. I plan to relocate from CA to Smyrna/Vinings, Brookhaven or lastly Sandy Springs. My housing choice is largely based on diverse schools with strong academics hopefully STEAM classes and various enrichment options. By diverse (because this means something different to everyone), I mean diversity in socio-economics and a balanced population with over 20% African American children. I don't want my children going to a school where any one race is the overwhelming majority, even if that race was their own. Smyrna and Brookhaven seem to have some great options. I'm still learning about Sandy Springs. Can anyone please help me compare these two schools? Any other insight is appreciated. I also don't want to be too far from the city. Thanks for all responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 09:41 PM

1,054 posts, read 921,725 times
https://schoolgrades.georgia.gov/nic...mentary-school

Go to the "Compare to Other Schools/Districts:" to see a comparison of measurables directly from the state dept. of Ed.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:14 PM

Very helpful website. Thank you!

Old 10-05-2017, 06:20 AM

128 posts, read 149,104 times
I relocated from the South Bay area some years ago.
My daughter attended King Springs over 10yrs ago and it was a great school then and continues to be today.
It meets all of your requirements. Diverse, great scores and a STEM program.

I like the area of Brookhaven & Sandy Springs because of its proximity to the city and shopping but
I do not know anything about the schools.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:42 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
Both are good schools and all Smyrna area schools (well the public ones) are diverse.

Brookhaven and Sandy Springs are considerably more expensive BTW.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:02 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm somewhat nervous about Sandy Springs being a little "stiff" so I'm leaning toward Smyrna or Brookhaven as I'm from Los Angeles. It's so difficult to learn about these schools outside of statistics and we all know that those aren't everything. I appreciate the responses and any personal experiences from schools in these areas even outside of those listed in my initial question.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:31 PM

290 posts, read 312,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaBound18 View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm somewhat nervous about Sandy Springs being a little "stiff" so I'm leaning toward Smyrna or Brookhaven as I'm from Los Angeles. It's so difficult to learn about these schools outside of statistics and we all know that those aren't everything. I appreciate the responses and any personal experiences from schools in these areas even outside of those listed in my initial question.

Don't forget Teasley in Smyrna which is an excellent school. Each one of the three Smyrna schools have active facebook sites and also active PTA facebook sites. Just join and befriend actual parents and teachers,all you will get on here is second and third party hearsay.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:24 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
I don't have kids, but here in Brookhaven people love Montgomery Elementary. It is multiracial too. If you do a search on the site mentioned above be sure to select the Montgomery that's in DeKalb County, not Montgomery County.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:24 PM

1,054 posts, read 921,725 times
Be very wary of The Dekalb County School System, even the better schools are under duress.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:20 PM

Thanks everyone. I've been eyeing Teasley for some time but am confused by the somewhat low ratings on sites like Great Schools that conflict with positive parent reviews about strong academics. Can anyone provide history on the school or possible reasons why the disparity exists? I also notice that a lot of the elementary schools in the areas that I'm interested in such as Brookhaven. Smyrna and Sandy Springs are good but then the ratings really start to dip for middle and high school. Where do parents send their children at that time or what's the reason behind this?

Wasel- I love Brookhaven. If I can find anything good there under $625k, that's my first choice but I do really like Smyrna as well. It would be easier on my budget

One more question- Can you all please help me understand the proximity of Sandy Springs vs. Smyrna to the city? I'm still somewhat confused as to where neighborhoods/counties end and begin. I thought they were about the same distance in different directions. No? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta