Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 06:16 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,529,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
It doesn't take "an hour or so", arjay. It will waste 4 hours out of your day, which is 20 hours of your week, which is over 1000 hours of each year. Just sitting there in a steel cage with your foot pressing a brake pedal.

How is that not awful? That's awful. It doesn't matter if the house is nice, your quality of life takes a huge hit.
Wait a minute, primal. Are you saying it takes two hours each way to commute from Midtown to Johns Creek? I don't think so.

And remember, even if you live intown, it can take you 30 minutes each way.

More than that if you have to take public transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 06:20 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,173,913 times
Have you never seen 400 southbound in the AM?

It's a parking lot, for MILES, for HOURS. Seriously, it's gridlock until lunch, and it backs up out to Alpharetta, probably beyond.

So yes, it will take you 2 hours to get to Midtown, depending on when you leave and where exactly your starting point is.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:34 PM

1,180 posts, read 972,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Wait a minute, primal. Are you saying it takes two hours each way to commute from Midtown to Johns Creek? I don't think so.

It takes me 30 minutes( train + bus + walking) to get to and leave from work. This is coming from intown to the gwinnett/dekalb line. It took me thirty minutes driving to get from Duluth to the gwinnett/dekalb line. My public transit commute is much less stressful than my driving commute.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Have you never seen 400 southbound in the AM?

It's a parking lot, for MILES, for HOURS. Seriously, it's gridlock until lunch, and it backs up out to Alpharetta, probably beyond.

So yes, it will take you 2 hours to get to Midtown, depending on when you leave and where exactly your starting point is.
Well, I go up that way from time to time and have never seen it anything near that bad.

My point is that it's a choice. If you want to live 30 miles from work and plan to traverse heavily urbanized areas, then you have to expect some significant commute time. And that's true whether you're traveling in your own luxurious personal transportation pod or riding on the hard seat of public transit.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:05 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,668,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

It does or it is almost nearing 2 hours. Google Maps has the data

Old 10-09-2017, 07:06 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,116,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Your choice is to sit in traffic and complain like everybody else or navigate a complex bus system that will take even longer for your trip because buses have to make stops and sit in traffic like everybody else.
This one sentence sums up the arguments of about 25% of all the posts in this forum.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:17 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,173,913 times
If you lived up near Windward somewhere, and worked at the Biltmore building in Midtown (and that's both locations being near the freeway), leaving at 7:30 AM it can typically take up to 1 hr 50 mins:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/34.0...2!8j1507620600

(Notice that huge red line that is 400.)

Which means more like 2 hours if you live in Forsyth, or work further south of Midtown, and have to get on the Connector.

But even if it's 1 hour 30 mins average, that's still ridiculous. That's 3 hours of wasteful misery a day.

That's why if I absolutely had to do that commute, I would take transit, even if it's just a bus sitting in the same traffic. Not having to drive makes all the difference. Then it's not so wasted time.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
If you lived up near Windward somewhere, and worked at the Biltmore building in Midtown (and that's both locations being near the freeway), leaving at 7:30 AM it can typically take up to 1 hr 50 mins:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/34.0...2!8j1507620600

(Notice that huge red line that is 400.)

Which means more like 2 hours if you live in Forsyth, or work further south of Midtown, and have to get on the Connector.

But even if it's 1 hour 30 mins average, that's still ridiculous. That's 3 hours of wasteful misery a day.

That's why if I absolutely had to do that commute, I would take transit, even if it's just a bus sitting in the same traffic. Not having to drive makes all the difference. Then it's not so wasted time.
Well, I personally wouldn't do it but there are those who choose that option. You probably saw my post the other day about folks who commute from Young Harris to Perimeter, from Alabama to Buckhead, from Athens to the airport, and from Milton to south Fulton.

Even then they are probably in better shape than many who are transit dependent.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:28 PM

332 posts, read 341,697 times
I echo everyone. Don't. It's getting even worse now, I hopped on 400 at Abernathy one random weekday morning and it was gridlocked at 6:15 am!!! You have to leave before 6 am before everyone gets on 400. It's a bear.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:10 PM

239 posts, read 668,575 times
Ok, so what if I leave at 645.how long will the drive in be? And what about the drive back leaving midtown at 4?

What would drive to north springs marta be Leaving at 645?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta