Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 12:41 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times

Advertisements

Do you think it will happen? If so, when? Do you think if it happens it will go through West GA and Rome instead of cutting through the metro? If it happens, what affect do you think it will have on the rural towns it cuts through? What else do you think about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 12:54 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Actually this has been talked about in these forums not long ago.

Will it get built? Not under the current Atlanta/State administrations. Atlanta's leaders aren't bright enough to get it on the ball or good enough with money. Sonny Perdoody has publicly states he could care less about transit other than cars/roads. The leaders of Chattanooga are much more on the ball with it than ours are, but that's not enough to get it going (plus it takes Federal money too, and we all know where all the extra money goes these days).

One day it'll get built. When? 30 years? Maybe.

Originally there were proposed stops in Cartersville and Dalton, with Marietta being an option. I don't think a detour through Rome was ever mentioned.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:54 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Without any intent at being a smarty pants, some questions:

why do we need high speed rail between Atlanta and Chattanooga? I can see the benefit of commuter rail from Cartersville and Marietta, but are people really going to commute from Chattanooga on a daily basis? Are there enough jobs to support commuters from Chattanooga?

Do people from Atlanta need a high speed rail link north to Chattanooga? We have an aquarium in Atlanta now, so what's the rush to Chattanooga?

Wouldn't an airport on the north side of town with a rail link to downtown be a better use of those valuable resources?

Old 03-17-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Without any intent at being a smarty pants, some questions:

why do we need high speed rail between Atlanta and Chattanooga? I can see the benefit of commuter rail from Cartersville and Marietta, but are people really going to commute from Chattanooga on a daily basis? Are there enough jobs to support commuters from Chattanooga?

Do people from Atlanta need a high speed rail link north to Chattanooga? We have an aquarium in Atlanta now, so what's the rush to Chattanooga?

Wouldn't an airport on the north side of town with a rail link to downtown be a better use of those valuable resources?
Their reasoning is that there are some airline fares that are much cheaper if you catch the plane out of Atlanta. There are others that are much cheaper if you catch them out of the Chattanooga airport. So "in theory", connecting the two airports gives commuters cheaper overall airfares via the two airports.

The second reason was tourism. Ok let's be frank here - downtown Atlanta does have an Aquarium, a decent park, CNN, etc., but it also has alot of bums. Head over toward Underground and watch any number of dozens sleeping in the park there, peeing in the fountain up the street, or watch a street preacher give sermons to crackheads in folding chairs. NOT my idea of "tourist attractions". Now, go to downtown Chattanooga - a smaller but in my opinion much nicer Aquarium, very nice riverfront area with boat rides, an arts district 2 blocks from all fo that, lots of lively downtown restaurants and bars, and almost NO bums. The last time I went up there I saw two bums in the entire downtown area, and they kept to themselves. The last time I walked 8 blocks in downtown Atlanta 5 people asked me for money, and 2 tried to give me "advice" on places to eat (for a fee of course), and one wanted to "hold" the camera around my neck.

When I have a long weekend and want fun - I always drive up to Chattanooga over Atlanta anytime.

So I do believe that's the reason regarding the tourism part of it, that folks want to see the train connecting the two.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:25 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,340,169 times
Never going to happen, at least not in our lifetime.

The reasoning isn't just about cheaper airline tickets but the Chattanooga airport is actually part of the plan to reduce the congestion at Hartsfield.

If it did get built it definitely should not go through Rome. Just send it straight up I-75, catch Marietta, Catersville and Dawsonville.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:58 PM

37 posts, read 156,801 times
I don't think this train will be of any use. At least it won't get enough passenger revenue to justify or pay for it. The best it would do is create jobs...another bridge to nowhere type project.
In Florida they were considering a high-speed rail from Miami to Orlando. That was rejected, but at least it makes a bit more sense as tourist revenue would be sufficient (going from Miami to Disney/Universal, etc. and vice-versa). But, Chatanooga? Maybe Savannah, so Atlantans can go to the beach.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax general View Post
In Florida they were considering a high-speed rail from Miami to Orlando. That was rejected, but at least it makes a bit more sense as tourist revenue would be sufficient (going from Miami to Disney/Universal, etc. and vice-versa). But, Chatanooga? Maybe Savannah, so Atlantans can go to the beach.
Have you ever BEEN to Savannah Beach? Ewww.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:10 AM

67 posts, read 302,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Have you ever BEEN to Savannah Beach? Ewww.
Is it bad? I've never been but we were talking about taking a little trip to Savannah in May. Should we skip the beach???

Old 03-18-2008, 11:25 AM

340 posts, read 1,576,579 times
It will never get built until the population is exploded in the area and driving becomes too expensive that majority can't afford driving between to places. Rail fare is low enough to attract riders. High speed rail is not mainly for tourists, cheap plane tickets, or one day excusion. It's mainly for people who have business reason to travel between two places. It won't go around rural areas, and has to connect major cities along I-75.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3BB's View Post
Is it bad? I've never been but we were talking about taking a little trip to Savannah in May. Should we skip the beach???
Let's put it this way, I kept wondering what those little brown pieces of wood were on the beach when I went there. I saw at least a dozen on a short walk. I was informed by my friend who lives there locally, "Um - that isn't wood - those are turds. As in, people turds".

Yes.

You want the beach and a nice place to visit for a weekend? Go 1.5 hours North of Savannah to Charleston, SC. Charleston's historic district is worlds better, larger, and very nice. Plus there are various beaches around that area that are much nicer, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta