U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 11:58 AM

15 posts, read 14,956 times

Advertisements

Which is a shorter/easier commute?

Suwanee > Dunwoody

Or

Cumming > Dunwoody
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 12:12 PM

6,822 posts, read 4,421,600 times
Depends on exactly where in Dunwoody.

Both commutes will suck. But Cumming is probably a slight bit faster to the Perimeter Center area on the western edge of Dunwoody. Suwanee would be faster to the eastern half of Dunwoody, where you could go Peachtree Industrial all the way in and avoid 285. But most jobs are in the Perimeter Center area.

Neither are recommended under any circumstances.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:35 PM

15 posts, read 14,956 times
We are relocating and have narrowed to these. If you have other suggestions for fantastic schools and safe, family friendly living budget $200,000, I’m open!

Old 10-24-2017, 03:29 PM

8,191 posts, read 7,543,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbug87 View Post
Which is a shorter/easier commute?

Suwanee > Dunwoody

Or

Cumming > Dunwoody
Cumming to Dunwoody will provide the slightly shorter/easier commute during morning rush hour.

That's because Dunwoody will be almost a straight shot down Georgia 400 from Cumming.

Though it should be noted that shorter/easier will be a relative term in regards to commuting down Georgia 400 during morning rush hours.

Some days will be good days, particularly on days during the summer when school is out and weather conditions are perfect.

But on other days (particularly when school is in session and/or the pavement is wet and inclement weather conditions are part of the equation and/or some freak accident backs up traffic on GA 400 from the I-285 interchange back into North Fulton County and through the Cumming area) the morning rush hour commutes on GA 400 southbound will be a challenge.

The ongoing massive reconstruction of the I-285/GA 400 interchange, which will be ratcheting up in activity and will be expected to last until at least through 2020 (and likely beyond), is also a factor that must be taken into account when considering the merits of a morning rush hour commute from outlying areas like Cumming and Suwanee to a centralized area on the Top End Perimeter like Dunwoody.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:39 PM

6,822 posts, read 4,421,600 times
Quote:
We are relocating and have narrowed to these. If you have other suggestions for fantastic schools and safe, family friendly living budget $200,000, I’m open!
Maybe Peachtree Corners/Norcross?

I would just try to be a bit closer to work. But maybe there's nothing available that meets your criteria/budget.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:20 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,714,483 times
As much as I like Suwanee, I'd say go with Cumming. It's a nice area too. Morning rush on 400 SB is atrocious but you just have to stay on 400. Afternoon commute isn't bad once you get on 400. Its relatively smooth. 285EB in the afternoon is atrocious and by itself is worse than 400NB to Cumming. Then you still have to deal with 85NB to get to Suwanee.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

I would just try to be a bit closer to work. But maybe there's nothing available that meets your criteria/budget.
In the current highly competitive real estate market, there are probably not going to be too many (if any) detached single-family homes at that price range of $200k and below that are available immediately nearby such an affluent area as Dunwoody.

If the OP wanted something in that price range immediately close to where they will be working in Dunwoody, they likely would have to look at condominiums and townhomes if they wanted to purchase.

In addition to condomiums and townhomes, the OP would more than likely also have to include apartments as part of their housing search if they wanted to live immediately close to their job in Dunwoody.

Overall, the housing supply both for purchase and for rent appears to be pretty scarce on that side of town (on metro Atlanta's highly in-demand Northside) in the triangle-shaped area between I-75/I-575 to the west and I-85 to the east, particularly within the OP's price range of $200k and less.

In the current housing market in the Atlanta metro area, if the OP wants a high-quality detached single-family home for $200k or less in an area of "fantastic schools and safe, family friendly living" in the kind of outer-suburban, semi-rural environment that they seem to desire, they are likely going to have to locate in an area that is going to provide them with a longer and more challenging commute to and from their job location in Dunwoody.

That is just the reality of the current housing market in metro Atlanta, particularly throughout large swaths of the northern part of the Atlanta metro area above I-20 and even throughout many areas below I-20.

On the MLS listings, the entire Georgia 400 corridor seems to be almost completely devoid of detached single-family housing on the market at that price range until one gets all the way out to about the Coal Mountain area of Cumming and North Forsyth County near the GA 400/GA 369 junction, a distance of about more than 30 miles north of the Dunwoody area... A morning rush hour commute that would be at least about an hour or so on good days and more than 2 hours on the worst days.

Even primaltech's excellent suggestion of the Peachtree Corners/Norcross area seems to be devoid of housing options of all kinds as far as the MLS listings are concerned as of this writing.

The closest areas where detached single-family housing appears to be available at the OP's price range of $200k and lower are in the Duluth area of Gwinnett County to the east and the Sprayberry area of East Cobb to the northwest... But according to the criteria that the OP has set out on other threads, those areas still likely might be too urban for them.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:25 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,714,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

There's probably not. That's around the price point my parents were looking for and they pretty much had to stay Duluth and northward. For anything safe at least.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
As much as I like Suwanee, I'd say go with Cumming. It's a nice area too. Morning rush on 400 SB is atrocious but you just have to stay on 400. Afternoon commute isn't bad once you get on 400. Its relatively smooth.
sedimenjerry makes some excellent points here with which the OP should take into full consideration.

Despite the undeniably challenging morning rush hour commutes, Georgia 400 is pretty much almost a complete straight shot between Cumming and Dunwoody in which afternoon/evening rush hour commutes are likely to be slightly less brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
285EB in the afternoon is atrocious and by itself is worse than 400NB to Cumming. Then you still have to deal with 85NB to get to Suwanee.
Yeah, that afternoon/evening rush hour ride on the Top End of I-285 eastbound over to I-85 at Spaghetti Junction is no joke.

One of the worst parts of an afternoon/evening rush hour ride on I-285 eastbound to I-85 northbound to the I-85 side of Suwanee (the part of Suwanee where the OP is most likely to find a detached single-family home within their price range of $200k max) is going through Spaghetti Junction on the ramp from I-285 eastbound to I-85 northbound which is a bottleneck of sorts that both frequently backs up with traffic and frequently is the site of many accidents that result from motorists (including 18-wheeler semi-tractor trailers) driving too fast on the curve along the flyover ramp.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:47 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,187,498 times
Isn’t Livesy Elementary in northwest Tucker still a good school? How would the commute be from there? I don’t think the middle or high school is what OP would want—but, if they are just starting elementary school, there are a few homes in the low 200s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta