Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 12:35 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I think a barbecue place is opening nearby as well. Once somebody does something with the buildings across from the Westview Market, that commercial area will be looking pretty good.
Did Westview Corner Grocery open up the store to the sidewalk or did they keep the entrance facing a parking lot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 01:02 PM

1,005 posts, read 729,357 times
Quote:
I think a barbecue place is opening nearby as well. Once somebody does something with the buildings across from the Westview Market, that commercial area will be looking pretty good.
Found this in my search and assume you're talking about it: https://atlanta.eater.com/2018/10/9/...stview-atlanta .

I have seen some recent renovations in multiple buildings, one a corner and one where some folk were filming. I'm so excited. Our area doesn't really have much of a middle ground for dining though: it's either stick-on-your-bones-til-you-die food or raw vegan. It'll be nice for some healthier options too. Except for an asian-fusion (???) truck that shows up at The Garage, which is probably as unhealthy and I'm just being silly, it's fried fried fried or raw raw raw.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:52 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Did Westview Corner Grocery open up the store to the sidewalk or did they keep the entrance facing a parking lot?
They still have the side entrance, but discussed opening the street-facing entrance in the near future. They said it's something about getting insurance for the sign that would be above the doorway. I believe it will be the same lighted sign pictured in this article...

https://www.atlantamagazine.com/dini...idents-missed/

They also said they planned to gradually add more wall art/murals along the side of the building. Apparently, as they put it, "murals aren't cheap"

Old 11-28-2018, 02:29 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3w5_junk13 View Post
I would have thought the same thing to see homes selling at the current levels over half a million dollars. I was totally not expecting them to get this high this fast which makes me feel that it could double in 20 or 30 years time in spite of schools (assuming they don’t change in that span of time).
The question you need to be worried about is whether its bubble growth or real growth? The area is borderline food desert and there has been no real development per se...and no infusion of monies into the schools as many posters have said...sans Sylvan Hills.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
Found this in my search and assume you're talking about it: https://atlanta.eater.com/2018/10/9/...stview-atlanta .

I have seen some recent renovations in multiple buildings, one a corner and one where some folk were filming. I'm so excited. Our area doesn't really have much of a middle ground for dining though: it's either stick-on-your-bones-til-you-die food or raw vegan. It'll be nice for some healthier options too. Except for an asian-fusion (???) truck that shows up at The Garage, which is probably as unhealthy and I'm just being silly, it's fried fried fried or raw raw raw.
I agree. I was kind of hoping that, at some point, the Westview Corner Market would serve food like the Candler Park or Grant Park Markets. I thought the "Fried Rice King" building could have been a good casual spot. But I heard 2 Chains bought it and wants to make it an Escobaresque restarant... at least that was the rumor floating around about a year or so ago...

Old 11-29-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
The question you need to be worried about is whether its bubble growth or real growth? The area is borderline food desert and there has been no real development per se...and no infusion of monies into the schools as many posters have said...sans Sylvan Hills.
West End has a Kroger (RDA @ Cascade.)
Quote:
I agree. I was kind of hoping that, at some point, the Westview Corner Market would serve food like the Candler Park or Grant Park Markets. I thought the "Fried Rice King" building could have been a good casual spot. But I heard 2 Chains bought it and wants to make it an Escobaresque restarant... at least that was the rumor floating around about a year or so ago...
I am not impressed with either of those places. Too expensive for avg residents to do shopping, other than last minute quick purchases. I feel the same way about GBG in Kirkwood, the ready-to-go food is too expensive for me. Instead our neighborhoods need reasonably priced corner grocery stores that residents of all income levels can shop at.
Does Westview Grocery accept EBT?

Old 11-29-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
West End has a Kroger (RDA @ Cascade.)

I am not impressed with either of those places. Too expensive for avg residents to do shopping, other than last minute quick purchases. I feel the same way about GBG in Kirkwood, the ready-to-go food is too expensive for me. Instead our neighborhoods need reasonably priced corner grocery stores that residents of all income levels can shop at.
Does Westview Grocery accept EBT?
I think they do. And I haven't been to the Candler or Grant Park markets in a while, but I thought there was a little spot in the back to get hot cooked food. Like Rainbow on N. Decatur or Sevananda. I really wasn't talking about the overpriced prepackaged stuff. They have that now.

A lot of people have said they would like to see a "Sevananda West" over there. I think a regular deli or soup/salad/sandwich spot would be okay. Maybe even a burger spot or coffee shop. There's the Kroger for full-blown grocery shopping. But I think it's possible to have a middle ground.

I think the Westview commercial corridor (or the Flats at Westview as it is now called) still has that salt of the earth grassroots feel (for now), and is definitely not as pretentious and overpriced as the stuff near Monday Night Brewery in the West End (or many other "trendy" intown areas these days). I think the only thing that makes it look suspect is the couple of empty buildings.

PS: I guess I should clarify. I meant the Fried Rice King building, not a fried rice restaurant. And nobody was happy to hear about the 2 Chains idea. I think organic growth is best. But I think it will get there sooner or later.

Last edited by equinox63; 11-29-2018 at 01:31 PM..

Old 11-29-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I think the Westview commercial corridor (or the Flats at Westview as it is now called

There is no doubt that Westview, West End, Adair Park is on an upward trajectory. As I've mentioned before, I hope it trickles down to the non-charter schools.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
There is no doubt that Westview, West End, Adair Park is on an upward trajectory. As I've mentioned before, I hope it trickles down to the non-charter schools.
Personally, I think if it’s done well, it will take about 10 years...

Old 11-30-2018, 05:31 AM

1,005 posts, read 729,357 times
Vegan burger place expected to open up in January, the Slutty Vegan:
https://www.ajc.com/blog/atlanta-res...Y3E0ISf7bCJWI/ 1542 RDA.

It sucks she’s not acknowledging her inspiration. Tassili’s Raw Reality has all the provocative African American terms for sex parts (maybe not all) like Punany (it’s funny hearing non Black folk try to pronounce it—- funny as in cute) and she’s out here acting like there aren’t some of the best hearty vegan places over here. Wish her business well either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta