Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 11:14 AM

388 posts, read 1,125,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
The article that I posted was from Thursday. SO it has updated information regarding this investigation. And since it isn't clear as to who ordered the data to be wiped, then the head honco (Kemp) should be taking responsibility since Kennesaw State answers to him. It is just fishy that something like this would happen a couple of days after a lawsuit is filed regarding this very data.

Would you want Kemp or any of his ally friends over the polling data during the Governor race or even the Mayoral Race in Atlanta? I sure would not. He is not credible at this point and even if he is found not guilty, I still would not want him near the data. He is just too closely involved into what going on now.

OP, you sound like the typical left and right wing fringe that are the HUGE problem we have with politics in this country.

You should be ashamed of this thread.

Are you on the DNC payroll?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 02:55 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,313,188 times
Quote:
If you read the article and my statement, you will see that the the word "Possibly" was used.

Quotes from the article as to why I think Kemp was involved:

(quotes from article deleted for brevity's sake)
No, the word "possibly" is not used in the article.

I should have mentioned that I already read the article so you would not have needed to quote it back to me. Sorry about that. There's nothing in that article that implicates Kemp in ordering the erasure of the KSU server. I had supposed that you knew of some other source that gave more information, that's why I asked.

In order to implicate Kemp in the wiping there has to be statement from someone or a document in which Kemp said wipe the server or hide the data, etc. Or even a statement from a person further down in the food chain saying the order came from above, or even from outside KSU. But what we have is nothing of the sort.

As for the article, all I can say is that the news organizations have not done their homework.
Here is a FOIA document that shows that all this began in 2016, and the plan for decommissioning of the servers was begun in March. This is before the lawsuit.
https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...nt/p43/a384897
There is nothing hinting at communication with Kemp's office.

Here is an article from June with more background:
https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...-hacked-215255
A link in the above article has the KSU plan to decommission the servers well before July.
http://www.politico.com/magazine/f/?...d-effad7b00001

It's not obvious in the document, but the servers were being wiped as part of recommendations from the FBI and security researchers after the FBI took the server for forensic analysis. The OS and software versions were extremely out of date and the best way to move a service to a more secure system is to put it on new servers and wipe the old ones.
Also, what the article leaves out is the data is not gone, it's on the new systems.
So what was lost? The original system may (or may not) have contained some evidence in the of hacker activity that the FBI somehow failed to find. You can decide for yourself if some Atlanta law office has better forensic computer experts than the FBI.

Am I a Kemp supporter? No. It would take me a week to list all the things that I don't like about what Kemp has said and done and that I don't agree with.
But I'm not going to just make up stuff about him.
What you did was make an accusation with zero evidence of his involvement in wiping the servers, and using the word "possibly" does not absolve you.

What I want to know is when did KSU legal office advise the KSU IT management that the July 3 lawsuit had been filed. The plaintiff attorney's "preserve the data" letter was dated July 10, so if that's the first notice, then obviously the July 7 wipe was not part of a plot. However, the Aug 9 wipe of the remaining server was afterwards. This whole thing looks to me to just be a classic case of lack of communication.

OTOH, speaking as someone in IT for decades, the various management that I've been under would NOT wipe a server under a lawsuit for at least a few years after the lawsuit was ended IF they knew about it.

Last edited by Thulsa; 10-28-2017 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 10-28-2017, 11:11 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga Jerk View Post
OP, you sound like the typical left and right wing fringe that are the HUGE problem we have with politics in this country.

You should be ashamed of this thread.

Are you on the DNC payroll?
No the problem is people like you who allow this type of issue to happen and you do nothing about it. You may not agree with way I post but so will be damned if I sit back and allow something like this to happen without posting for others to see. And no, I don’t work for the DNC. With your lack of outrage, do you work for the RNC?

Old 10-28-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
No, the word "possibly" is not used in the article.

I should have mentioned that I already read the article so you would not have needed to quote it back to me. Sorry about that. There's nothing in that article that implicates Kemp in ordering the erasure of the KSU server. I had supposed that you knew of some other source that gave more information, that's why I asked.

In order to implicate Kemp in the wiping there has to be statement from someone or a document in which Kemp said wipe the server or hide the data, etc. Or even a statement from a person further down in the food chain saying the order came from above, or even from outside KSU. But what we have is nothing of the sort.

As for the article, all I can say is that the news organizations have not done their homework.
Here is a FOIA document that shows that all this began in 2016, and the plan for decommissioning of the servers was begun in March. This is before the lawsuit.
https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...nt/p43/a384897
There is nothing hinting at communication with Kemp's office.

Here is an article from June with more background:
https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...-hacked-215255
A link in the above article has the KSU plan to decommission the servers well before July.
http://www.politico.com/magazine/f/?...d-effad7b00001

It's not obvious in the document, but the servers were being wiped as part of recommendations from the FBI and security researchers after the FBI took the server for forensic analysis. The OS and software versions were extremely out of date and the best way to move a service to a more secure system is to put it on new servers and wipe the old ones.
Also, what the article leaves out is the data is not gone, it's on the new systems.
So what was lost? The original system may (or may not) have contained some evidence in the of hacker activity that the FBI somehow failed to find. You can decide for yourself if some Atlanta law office has better forensic computer experts than the FBI.

Am I a Kemp supporter? No. It would take me a week to list all the things that I don't like about what Kemp has said and done and that I don't agree with.
But I'm not going to just make up stuff about him.
What you did was make an accusation with zero evidence of his involvement in wiping the servers, and using the word "possibly" does not absolve you.

What I want to know is when did KSU legal office advise the KSU IT management that the July 3 lawsuit had been filed. The plaintiff attorney's "preserve the data" letter was dated July 10, so if that's the first notice, then obviously the July 7 wipe was not part of a plot. However, the Aug 9 wipe of the remaining server was afterwards. This whole thing looks to me to just be a classic case of lack of communication.

OTOH, speaking as someone in IT for decades, the various management that I've been under would NOT wipe a server under a lawsuit for at least a few years after the lawsuit was ended IF they knew about it.
You may not agree with what I posted and that is fine but I stand behind what I said. History keeps repeating itself in this state and it’s ironic that data from the election server that housed election results was somehow deleted, yet no one know how or why and/or who authorized it. It’s amazing that even on the Kennesaw site that you posted, the university itself determined that there was no wrong doing. So whether or not Kemp was involved in deleting data from the server, he is responsible for it. So I hold him accountable!

And my I initial questions still stand! Where is the outrage? Data was probably compromised during our elections, even the 6th district election recently. Kemp was notified about the lack of security on the server and he did nothing about it. His allies and Kemp himself insisted that the server was secure when it was indeed not. Why is this not a bigger issue? As a Georgian I demand better than what these elected officials are giving us. If you are fine with this type of behavior then that says a lot about you.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:41 PM
bu2

24,087 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
You may not agree with what I posted and that is fine but I stand behind what I said. History keeps repeating itself in this state and it’s ironic that data from the election server that housed election results was somehow deleted, yet no one know how or why and/or who authorized it. It’s amazing that even on the Kennesaw site that you posted, the university itself determined that there was no wrong doing. So whether or not Kemp was involved in deleting data from the server, he is responsible for it. So I hold him accountable!

And my I initial questions still stand! Where is the outrage? Data was probably compromised during our elections, even the 6th district election recently. Kemp was notified about the lack of security on the server and he did nothing about it. His allies and Kemp himself insisted that the server was secure when it was indeed not. Why is this not a bigger issue? As a Georgian I demand better than what these elected officials are giving us. If you are fine with this type of behavior then that says a lot about you.
No, you are just making stuff up about Kemp for partisan purposes. People who read the actual facts realize that.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:12 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
This is extremely disturbing. We're talking about the integrity of elections themselves here. I hope the FBI focuses heavily on this during their investigation.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
No, you are just making stuff up about Kemp for partisan purposes. People who read the actual facts realize that.
I didn’t make up anything! As the article stated, it seems very suspicious that Kemp was informed that the servers weren’t secure yet he did nothing about them before the special elections for the 6th. Then when he was sued by the citizens of Georgia somehow the data went missing and he is not sure how nor is anyone else at Kennesaw State. Very suspicious, indeed! We have been through these types of incidents many times in GA and the U.S. I don’t put anything past the politicians these days and neither should you but of course you believe whatever is said to you. I don’t!

Old 10-29-2017, 07:29 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,082 times
You made the Kemp implication up.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:01 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,313,188 times
By the way, The actual lawsuit filed in July is here:
https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...40678-1-2.html

It gives great detail about the considerable stupidity of the people responsible for elections in Georgia leading up to when the suit was filed. No one who reads this will ever support Kemp for any public service job.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
You made the Kemp implication up.
I said that he possibly could be involved. You know, those same way it was brought tin america that some on donald Trump’s Colluded with Russian and even though Donald and his allies said it was not true and continues to blames others. Now e are seeing that it POSSIBLY could be true with a person or two being indicted today. All politicians lie and until I see proof that he did nothing then he is guilty. There are still too many lingering questions and even some representatives from the metro area agree that if nothing was done then why was the data removed? Kemp was over this data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta