Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 10:31 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Yes, and there are also stairs by the bus loop. So this serves only as a convenient perk for the able-bodied.

Not that I want to be the elevator police, or anything. I just find it interesting to see examples of the selective enforcement of ADA requirements.

I get where you're coming from, but when I'm around the place it's rarely the less-abled who are going that distance on-foot, or wheels, or whatever anyway. I've seen plenty of elderly and otherwise less-abled persons use the buses for the short hop between the station, and the shopping district.

Quote:
It's also interesting to me to see this kind of vanity project in wealthy neighborhoods, when the East Point station often doesn't have a working elevator OR escalator between the train platform and bus terminal.
Well, unless this is a crazy new project, it's likely part of the More MARTA station enhancements projects, of which Inman Park is a part. A few other stations include Bankhead, Vine City, Ashby, and Oakland City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 11:42 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I get where you're coming from, but when I'm around the place it's rarely the less-abled who are going that distance on-foot, or wheels, or whatever anyway. I've seen plenty of elderly and otherwise less-abled persons use the buses for the short hop between the station, and the shopping district.

Well, unless this is a crazy new project, it's likely part of the More MARTA station enhancements projects, of which Inman Park is a part. A few other stations include Bankhead, Vine City, Ashby, and Oakland City.
Why the F are they prioritizing Bankhead over larger, more frequently used station?

Old 12-04-2018, 12:09 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why the F are they prioritizing Bankhead over larger, more frequently used station?
Shouldn't you, of all people, be the one who knows the answer to that?

I don't know the answer, but I suppose it could be that because the Bankhead area is rapidly changing and they want the station there to be one people will be enticed into using.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Shouldn't you, of all people, be the one who knows the answer to that?

I don't know the answer, but I suppose it could be that because the Bankhead area is rapidly changing and they want the station there to be one people will be enticed into using.
I have yet to see Quarry Yards break ground.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Maybe in preparation for a Green-Line extension in addition to the over all More MARTA effort? More frequent service over more of the E-W lines, and more assistance to the growing in town areas?

Old 12-04-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Maybe in preparation for a Green-Line extension in addition to the over all More MARTA effort? More frequent service over more of the E-W lines, and more assistance to the growing in town areas?
Green Line extension?!

DeKalb County has not passed a transit expansion referendum. Green Line extension NW of Bankhead was not on MoreMARTA. 5 min, peak headways provided between Ashby and Edgewood/Candler Park.

Would you like to try again?

Old 12-04-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Green Line extension?!

DeKalb County has not passed a transit expansion referendum. Green Line extension NW of Bankhead was not on MoreMARTA. 5 min, peak headways provided between Ashby and Edgewood/Candler Park.

Would you like to try again?
Cool your snark.

Bankhead is set up to extend its platform to accommodate four-car trains, and, with a bit of extra effort, that could be further extended to six-car, or even full eight-car trains. I would not be surprised if this was actually part of the planned Bankhead station improvements to some extent. (not to mention a potentially better interaction with the Proctor Creek Greenway)

Furthermore, MARTA's already talked about extending the Green Line to Avondale as part of its growing system. This would, likely, be part of meeting the Clifton Corridor there, but MARTA doesn't need to wait for the CC to be finished to do this, and would extend frequent service quite a ways to meet with all the new TODs and infill going on in that corridor.

Both would, though, require buying additional rail cars for the Green Line to handle additional capacity. Guess what was part of the More MARTA project list? The potential to buy new rail cars for BOTH Green Line and Blue Line capacity increases. $60 Mil. & $30 Mil. total each, respectively. Now, I don't think that More MARTA money actually will go to this, but my point is that those are price ranges within reach of MARTA on its own, especially if pooled in with a larger order as MARTA's already working towards.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:16 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
I have yet to see Quarry Yards break ground.
Even if it never breaks ground, that area is going to (already is) change(ing) and will become more transit dependent.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Cool your snark.

Bankhead is set up to extend its platform to accommodate four-car trains, and, with a bit of extra effort, that could be further extended to six-car, or even full eight-car trains. I would not be surprised if this was actually part of the planned Bankhead station improvements to some extent. (not to mention a potentially better interaction with the Proctor Creek Greenway)

Furthermore, MARTA's already talked about extending the Green Line to Avondale as part of its growing system. This would, likely, be part of meeting the Clifton Corridor there, but MARTA doesn't need to wait for the CC to be finished to do this, and would extend frequent service quite a ways to meet with all the new TODs and infill going on in that corridor.

Both would, though, require buying additional rail cars for the Green Line to handle additional capacity. Guess what was part of the More MARTA project list? The potential to buy new rail cars for BOTH Green Line and Blue Line capacity increases. $60 Mil. & $30 Mil. total each, respectively. Now, I don't think that More MARTA money actually will go to this, but my point is that those are price ranges within reach of MARTA on its own, especially if pooled in with a larger order as MARTA's already working towards.
With Bankhead being one the newest stations in the system, 1992, there are older and higher used stations that need priority over Bankhead.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
With Bankhead being one the newest stations in the system, 1992, there are older and higher used stations that need priority over Bankhead.

But my point is that a bit of effort for Bankhead has repercussions across much of the EW line in ways that other stations don't. Certainly not in terms of potential capacity increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta