Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 03:03 PM
bu2

24,097 posts, read 14,879,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Unless the line is running at grade, it will not be 'relatively cheaply' over HRT. Once the aerial structures and tunnels are included, how much less would the cost really be? Sound Transit built the University Link tunnel, 3.15 miles for $1.9B. https://www.soundtransit.org/About-S...s-capitol-hill
Some of these recent light rail lines (as opposed to "street cars") have been really expensive on a per mile basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 03:06 PM
bu2

24,097 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It appears that GDOT has taken Top-end, rail-based transit off the list of possibilities. http://www.revive285.com/ was once a website that offered transportation alternatives for the Top-end, now the website no longer exist. GDOT and SRTA have made their decision, HOT Lanes!
They made that decision 3 or 4 years ago, but that other link sounded like the mayors wanted to revisit that decision.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:19 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Cost per mile for both LRT lines I am proposing would probably average around $100 million per mile. I'm guessing. I mean, if it's done right. Which would mean only $2 billion for 20 miles worth of rail.

No matter how you slice it though, would be less expensive than HRT. Because you can do at-grade road crossings, running on roads (like Satellite Blvd), and making tighter turns around things, requiring less purchasing and demo'ing of parcels.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:27 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Cost per mile for both LRT lines I am proposing would probably average around $100 million per mile. I'm guessing. I mean, if it's done right. Which would mean only $2 billion for 20 miles worth of rail.

No matter how you slice it though, would be less expensive than HRT. Because you can do at-grade road crossings, running on roads (like Satellite Blvd), and making tighter turns around things, requiring less purchasing and demo'ing of parcels.
And that second paragraph is why it's not a good idea to be cheap on this. There is a massive amount of travel-demand for the corridor already. A good bit more than some other corridors that already have HRT along them. There are two major CBDs along the route, as well as potential future routes into the most active corridors of the northern suburbs. We need better than what you're suggesting, not just for current capacity, but for future uses as well.

Every cost-saving item you listed serves to degrade service by slowing trains, and reducing capacity. That's fine for more neighborhood-focused levels like the BeltLine, but on a corridor like I-285, a better solution is needed, even if it is more expensive.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:01 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
And that second paragraph is why it's not a good idea to be cheap on this. There is a massive amount of travel-demand for the corridor already. A good bit more than some other corridors that already have HRT along them. There are two major CBDs along the route, as well as potential future routes into the most active corridors of the northern suburbs. We need better than what you're suggesting, not just for current capacity, but for future uses as well.

Every cost-saving item you listed serves to degrade service by slowing trains, and reducing capacity. That's fine for more neighborhood-focused levels like the BeltLine, but on a corridor like I-285, a better solution is needed, even if it is more expensive.
Exactly, cheap-out and build lower quality of service which is slow (at grade crossings, median running) and suburban, demand riders aren't going to use it.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:21 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Default LRT v. HRT costs

There is a bit being lost here on the LRT vs. HRT cost comparison, at least in relations to costs.

LRT, first and foremost, provides flexibility in how something is designed and engineered.

After that, it's cost depends on how it is designed and engineered.

LRT gives you the ability to put money where the real slow-downs are and do something cheaper where a slow-down wouldn't really exist.

The problem is HRT has no flexibility at all. It will always stay the most expensive throughout.

LRT allows:

-At-grade crossing (not always a bad thing depending on what you're crossing and how many 10's of millions you're saving with no bridge or tunnel at that crossing)

-in-street usage, when needed

-closer stop alignments (this is important because the line can have commuter cased sections, but then an increasing stop frequency through a short area of the alignment in a central business district)

-Can make tighter radius turns

-Can make steeper grade changes.

So I want to show a small idea-piece I have. This isn't meant to be a formal proposal or a discussion of what is best for this area. I'm only trying to show how LRT can lower costs over a section of alignment, while not always jeopardizing speed.

Between Doraville and Gwinnett Place Mall it just so happens that about 1/2 of the alignment has a large powerline corridor. Specifically, it is between the town center of Norcross and just south of Gwinnett Place Mall. There are some pros and cons to this. One of the benefits is that most neighborhoods are already disconnected from this corridor and there are fewer crossings.

The crossings that exist are larger arterial roads and a handul of very quiet residential cross-streets that do not carry hardly any traffic.

HRT would have to be completely separated. Every crossing gets an expensive bridge or tunnel. LRT has the ability to have a bridge at all arterial roads, but have an at-grade crossing with RR crossing arms at all residential streets low in traffic. This would save an extreme amount of building costs, while only making the trip in the corridor longer by a very small amount.

Here is the corridor:

Here is a closer look:

You can easily see a difference in crossings that need grade-separation vs. doesn't to keep speed.

Now what is bad about LRT is they do not always engineer the whole alignment when choosing an LPA. This leaves much information off the table when making a side-by-side comparison.

Now the bad thing is this alignment ignores some key redevelopment areas for cost-savings + Speed benefit, while focusing redevelopment on Gwinnett Place and Norcross. So the cost savings LRT provides really has much to do with that the goals are and what environment you're building into.
Attached Thumbnails
Will Gwinnett County join MARTA? Not likely, officials say-gwinnett_powerlines.jpg   Will Gwinnett County join MARTA? Not likely, officials say-gwinnett_powerlines_zoom.jpg  

Old 11-15-2017, 01:56 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,693,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
There is a bit being lost here on the LRT vs. HRT cost comparison, at least in relations to costs.
You're still loosing operational capacity, and forcing a transfer rather than extending the existing system to allow seamless integration.

LRT is fine and dandy for a lot of things, but for backbones in some of, if not the, highest trafficked corridors in the metro, we really should be using something better. Especially when we have an established system in place to build off of.

Sure you save money now, but given how much the metro is projected to grow, I just don't see those reduced costs as being needed. They're short-term savings with long-term consequences.

Gwinnett would be able to easily afford a heavy-rail extension to Sugarloaf from Doraville, and commuter rail lines to Buford and Lawrenceville, and a myriad of bus rapid transit routes throughout the county if they paid the 1% MARTA sales tax. They don't need to save the money. There's no real benefit for it.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Gwinnett would be able to easily afford a heavy-rail extension to Sugarloaf from Doraville, and commuter rail lines to Buford and Lawrenceville, and a myriad of bus rapid transit routes throughout the county if they paid the 1% MARTA sales tax. They don't need to save the money. There's no real benefit for it.
But that's not the point. They don't want to pay 1% if they can get pretty good mass transit for .5%. They don't like taxes out there. That's why they moved out there. They're frugal. Also, they don't particularly like mass transit. They may be ready for one line, but not multiple lines, and not heavy rail. Maybe they don't want heavy rail because they don't want their county to be or to feel urban. Plus the expense of it.

Unlike Clayton County, Cobb and Gwinnett could generate billions with a half penny, enough for each to get one quality rapid transit line (commuter rail or light rail), plus a lot of improvements to the bus system.

And they're also somewhat averse to MARTA. So... maybe they want to raise 1/2 penny for a non-MARTA branded rail transit of some kind. Or maybe they'd want to join MARTA but at only 1/2 penny. Or maybe only parts of the county could join MARTA. Or maybe Gwinnett and Cobb could join a new version of MARTA, or etc. Lots of possibilities.

I like the idea of LRT because you can run it for miles in the median of Satellite Blvd. There's plenty of space to work with here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9618.../data=!3m1!1e3

Surely that would be very cost-effective.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:18 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
But that's not the point. They don't want to pay 1% if they can get pretty good mass transit for .5%. They don't like taxes out there. That's why they moved out there. They're frugal. Also, they don't particularly like mass transit. They may be ready for one line, but not multiple lines, and not heavy rail. Maybe they don't want heavy rail because they don't want their county to be or to feel urban. Plus the expense of it.
Yet they spend thousands of dollars a year on vehicle maintenance, gas, insurance, taxes, etc. Waste hundreds of hours a year in traffic.
Quote:
Unlike Clayton County, Cobb and Gwinnett could generate billions with a half penny, enough for each to get one quality rapid transit line (commuter rail or light rail), plus a lot of improvements to the bus system.
Very true and if MARTA's board voted to allow them to participate with 0.5% sales tax and still get a quality transit network, I see no issue. I think MARTA's board voted Clayton's 0.5% proposal, because they would only be able to fund bare bones bus system.

Quote:
I like the idea of LRT because you can run it for miles in the median of Satellite Blvd. There's plenty of space to work with here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9618.../data=!3m1!1e3

Surely that would be very cost-effective.
I do not see where there is currently median space. Clifton Corridor was criticized for proposing a similar design.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:19 PM

I bet a lot of people in Gwinnett County would love to have a light rail between Cumberland/SunTrust Park, and Sugarloaf/Gwinnett Center, via Gwinnett Place, Indian Trail park&ride, Gwinnett Village, MARTA Gold line, Perimeter Center, MARTA Red line, Northside Hospital, etc.

Especially if you bring it to them and say it would only cost a 1/2 penny sales tax.

Same thing for Cobb. Bring a solid LRT plan for the I-75 corridor between KSU and Midtown and everything in between, to the voters, with a 1/2 penny price tag.

And both of those lines could potentially have contributions from Atlanta and Fulton and DeKalb (and Dunwoody and Sandy Springs) for the portions of the line in their jurisdictions. Also it could potentially get state funds and federal funds to assist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta