U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 04:45 PM

7 posts, read 3,927 times

Advertisements

Hello all. There is a very high possibility my family will be relocating to Atlanta from the Gulf Coast of Alabama. I have never moved away from the county I was born in. We have lived at our current address for 23 years. So i am a little overwhelmed!

My husband's work will be in Norcross Ga. I have looked at lots of areas on City-Data.com and at houses on reality sites, google mapped addresses to determine commute times but I still dont know how to narrow down where to look. We expect to stay in the Atlanta area for about 10 to 15 years before retiring and going back to Alabama. For this reason resale value is very important.

He would like a commute of no more then 45 minutes.

We have always lived in the "country" and are used to some privacy and space. We are willing to try out neighborhood living if the HOA isnt too crazy and the resale value is good (we have never had an HOA). I am used to driving 20 minutes to the grocery store so I dont mind that.

Schools dont matter much as I home school the 1 child who is still in school but are important for resale value. So i guess good schools are important.

We really want the area to be safe and clean. I mean like no major drug/crime problems or pollution. Neighborhoods that people take care of their yards.

We are thinking our house budget will be topped at $200,000.

We are are 40 something white couple with 2 older teens, not sure if that will help with areas to look at or avoid

I thought maybe Lawrenceville Snellville Loganville Auburn Winder and Bethlehem area looked ok on the maps but I dont know

Thanks for the help/advice
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 05:05 PM

4,010 posts, read 2,787,727 times
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...62_rect/10_zm/

Here Is a search for homes for 200k around Norcross . Since you will work in Norcross I would stay north of 285 off either side of 85. You might want to avoid 85 south from 985/85/316 area in the morning so if you can take maybe Peachtree Industrial into Norcross that will be better unless you do a reverse commute. A reverse commute is during the morning most of the traffic is coming into the city and in the afternoon the traffic is leaving the city so if you go the opposite way you avoid traffic. I would focus on Duluth, Lilburn, Peachtree Corners area.

It will be a big change for you but once you get used to the city make sure you get out and check out all the city has to offer!

Last edited by fieldm; 10-31-2017 at 05:23 PM..

Old 10-31-2017, 05:10 PM

6,695 posts, read 6,308,107 times
WOW!

Moving from the Alabama Gulf Coast (for the first time) to the North Atlanta suburbs?

Man are you in for a culture shock.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:31 PM

I would also get used to the traffic patterns here on your phone. Find the location of your office on your phone on the Google Maps app. Look at it in the morning and afternoon. Green means the traffic is flowing smooth, yellow means traffic is so so and red means traffic is bad. Look at it from 6:30am - 10am and in the afternoon. You want to make sure your route to and from home doesn't have much red

Old 10-31-2017, 06:14 PM

Well, lets see if we can break this down...

You have never moved away from the county that you were born in but you're going to be moving your family from the Gulf Coast of Alabama (which is a fantastic area to live in) to the Northeast North Atlanta suburbs.

fieldm makes an excellent point that this is going to be a big change for you.

What really concerns me is your $200k housing budget in a North Atlanta housing market that has been increasingly highly competitive as of late (over the last couple of years or so).

Another thing that concerns me is the commute times and the extremely high volumes of traffic that your husband may be facing as he travels to and from his job in the Norcross area.

A third major thing that concerns me is your tolerance for crime. Many metro Atlantans consider an area like Gwinnett County to generally be a lower-crime outlying area. But for someone like you who is coming from an area (on the Alabama Gulf Coast) where crime may be extremely rare, an area like Gwinnett County could seem like a higher-crime area to you.

Of the cities that you cited (Lawrenceville, Snellville, Auburn, Winder and Bethlehem), Lawrenceville and Snellville might not be the best fits for you because of the massive demographic shifts that are ongoing in those areas.

(...Much, if not most, of the populations of the Lawrenceville and Snellville areas are in the process of shifting from 'majority-white' to 'majority-minority' where racial and ethnic minorities make up the overwhelming majority of residents in those areas.)

The most desirable part of that in Lawrenceville/Snellville area (in the attendance zone/cluster for Brookwood High School, a school which is one of the highest-rated public high schools in the entire Southeastern U.S.) appears to currently have no housing inventory available within your price range of $200k and less.

The other parts of the Lawrenceville area features schools that range from so-so (in the Berkmar and Central Gwinnett attendance zones), to okay (in the Discovery High School attendance zone), to okay/good (in the Mountain View High School attendance zone), to good/very good (in the Archer and Collins Hill high school attendance zones)... But the housing inventory currently appears to be very slim-to-almost non-existent in the attendance zones for Archer, Collins Hill and Mountain View high schools.

A few months ago I might have suggested you look in the Buford/Sugar Hill area where there seemed to be multiple newer homes on the market within your price range into 2016... But the North Atlanta housing market has been insane at times as of late, so of course almost all of the housing inventory within your price range appears to be gone.

Auburn, Winder and Bethlehem would be good places for you to look because of the much more rural-like nature of those semi-rural exurban areas and your significantly increased chances of finding a home (that is potentially newer and of higher-quality) within your price range of $200k and less in those areas.

The problem with the Auburn, Winder and Bethlehem areas is that they would force your husband to commute to (and from) his job in Norcross on extremely busy roads like Georgia 316 and Interstate 85 during both morning and afternoon/evening rush hours where the one-way commutes could be as long as 1 hour, 40 minutes to 2 hours or longer.

If you think that your husband can deal with a rush hour commute that could push 2 hours each way on many days, the Winder and Bethlehem areas might be your best bets of finding a quality newer home within your price range of $200k and less in a semi-rural exurban area with good schools and generally very low crime.

Otherwise, if you don't think that your husband may be willing to deal with a rush hour commute that potentially could stretch upwards of between 1.5 and 2 hours and/or longer on often severely-congested roads like GA 316 and the monstrous I-85 on many days, your best move might be to attempt to find your family either a good-quality/high-quality townhome, condominium or apartment within a reasonably short commuting distance of your husband's job in Norcross (...that is, if you can find a good-quality/high-quality townhome, condominium or apartment within reasonable commuting distance of your husband's workplace in Norcross in the current highly-competitive housing and rental market in Northeast metro Atlanta).

By living in a good-quality/high-quality townhome, condominium or apartment within a reasonable distance of your husband's job in Norcross, you may have to deal with living in an environment that will be much more urban than you might prefer, but at least you will be able to preserve much more of your husband's sanity and your family's quality-of-life by keeping off of the often severely-congested roads that are a feature of life in the overcrowded northeast North Atlanta suburbs.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:34 PM

7 posts, read 3,927 times
This relocation is necessary for his career path. I kind of expect a major culture shock.
He has heard that he should avoid 285. So 85 and 316 are really bad too? Many in his company live out west in Dallas area but that seemed even longer of a commute!

Old 10-31-2017, 06:45 PM

Look off the entire stretch of Peachtree Industrial north of Norcross .

Some positives you will like is having multiple grocery stores, malls and stores near you. No more driving 20 mins to get groceries.

With our huge airport you can fly anywhere directly.

It will be a nice change of pace for you once you settle in

Old 10-31-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avic77 View Post
This relocation is necessary for his career path. I kind of expect a major culture shock.
He has heard that he should avoid 285.
*YES* your husband should avoid Interstate 285 like the plague during morning rush hour.

Interstate 285 (particularly the Top End of the I-285 Perimeter between Interstate 85 Northeast and Interstate 75 Northwest) is frequently the site of some of the Atlanta metropolitan area's worst rush hour traffic meltdowns.

Quote:
So 85 and 316 are really bad too?
*YES* Interstate 85 and Georgia 316 are really bad too during morning and afternoon/evening rush hours...

Though 316 used to be even worse before the freeway portion of the road was recently extended east past the Georgia 20 junction in Lawrenceville, Interstate 85 in particular is prone to frequent long delays during morning and afternoon/evening peak traffic hours.

I-85 southbound south of Pleasant Hill Road (where the southbound roadway bottlenecks from about 10 lanes down to only 6-7 lanes heading towards I-285 and Atlanta) is prone to frequent long delays that disrupt an already-challenged traffic flow during rush hour.

Quote:
Many in his company live out west in Dallas area but that seemed even longer of a commute!
It is... A commute between Dallas in Paulding County in far-outer suburban West metro Atlanta and Norcross in suburban Northeast metro Atlanta would require use of the I-285 Top End Perimeter, a crucial stretch of roadway that is frequently the site of some of the Atlanta metro area's worst rush hour traffic meltdowns. The I-285 Top End Perimeter is also slated to be the site of a massive traffic gridlock-generating multi-year reconstruction project at the I-285/GA 400 interchange that is currently ratcheting up in intensity and will be expected to last until at least through the year 2020, if not longer.

Even before the massive I-285/GA 400 interchange reconstruction project ratchets up in intensity, a commute between Dallas/Paulding County/West metro Atlanta and Norcross/Gwinnett County/Northeast metro Atlanta can take up to 2.5 hours and/or longer each way on the worst days. Expect those commute times to only worsen as the I-285/GA 400 interchange reconstruction project continues to ratchet up in activity over the next 3-4 years.

If your family wanted to live in an area like Dallas in Paulding County in far-outer suburban West metro Atlanta, your husband likely would have to give himself about a 3-hour window (for example, if he had to be at work by 9am, he likely would have to leave for work by about no later than 6am) to guarantee that he would be able to make it to work on time on most days... And even then there would be days where he still might not be able to make it to work on time because of traffic issues and major traffic incidents on major roadways like I-75 southbound and the I-285 Top End Perimeter eastbound.

You should also know that traffic tends to be heavier when public schools are in session because of the very high volume of people driving their children to school on Atlanta's inadequate metropolitan road network.

You should also be aware and know that traffic tends to be even heavier around holiday and vacation periods (particularly around Thanksgiving, Christmas vacation and Spring Break) when major roads like I-85, I-285 and (especially) I-75 fill up with even more traffic traveling through the area to and from the vacation and resort areas of the Atlantic and Gulf coasts and Florida.

Atlanta traffic is a totally different animalistic beast that is going to figure into your lives much more than you might have ever been able to imagine it would living in an area like the sparsely-populated Alabama Gulf Coast.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:01 PM

145 posts, read 81,313 times
Agree with the above. Yes, you will adjust, many move here from smaller towns. You're not suddenly plunking down in Midtown Manhattan. And if you don't like it, you can always move away. Above all, rent first and get a feel for the area and the roads, then start looking for houses, with an eye for staying as close to work as your budget (and tastes in houses, to an extent) will allow.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
That is good that you are kind of expecting a major culture shock.

But even for as big of a culture shock that you might be expecting, expect something even bigger, more massive and probably more jarring than you currently might be imagining coming from a place like the sparsely-populated Alabama Gulf Coast.

Be prepared to live a dramatically different lifestyle than the one that you likely have lived during your entire life up until now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta